Brake Pads?

mustangbob

Established Member
Hey all,

I am looking for brake pad recommendations. I know this question has been asked before but some of the search function had not been working for a long time until recently. However, even after being able to use the search function it seems that most of the stuff is older.

Anyway, I was going to get the Autozone Gold Ceramics based off of some threads but they no longer sell them for the 03-04 cobras, at least not in SoCal anymore.

My car is a mostly stock 04 cobra with 32k miles and I don't take it to the track, I am looking for a fairly inexpensive pad that will do the job but not made of poor quality. I also picked up some centric rotors if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Bob

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
The Autozone Gold Ceramic is what I have been using for years (street car only). Is it just not in stock at your local store or is it really not available? In most cases I need to order them to the store first. They make it sound like some crazy custom order deal - but in the end it just takes a few extra days to get the set.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Callahan brakes are the future, we all know what happens when you use the "Other guys" brakes :D
I'm in for recommendations as well, part of my winter maintenance

BlackedOut00

Established Member
Callahan Auto Parts are number 1!

My Hawk HPS pads + drilled/slotted rotors can't leave my driveway without covering the wheels in brake dust. Otherwise paired with stainless braided brake lines, they hold up pretty well. Will be trying something different next go-around though.

mustangbob

Established Member
The Autozone Gold Ceramic is what I have been using for years (street car only). Is it just not in stock at your local store or is it really not available? In most cases I need to order them to the store first. They make it sound like some crazy custom order deal - but in the end it just takes a few extra days to get the set.

Yeah it seems they don't have them at all at least not at any of the stores around here. They have them on the site but you can't order them when you try clicking on "add to cart".

0HOb5Fb.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hawk HPS pads

I run these on my coupe with my Alcon brake set up.

My Vert I went with a company off eBay (Brake Motive) that sold a drilled and slotted rotor kit that came with what was listed as "performance ceramic" pads. The stuff I bought off eBay seems to be working well.

mustangbob

Established Member
Yeah the Tommy Boy reference made me laugh. But still trying to figure out brake pads. I'm not trying to be cheap but the hawk pads cost more than the rotors. Anyone used EBC?

Bob

toomanytoys

Established Member
I have the EBC pads on my expedition. It's like dropping an anchor. The pads are awesome. I will be putting these on my cobra when the time comes

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I had the duralast golds before my current power stop set. They cracked and were squealing from day one. I really like my power stops. Although my brother had used a generic kit off ebay for his truck called max pads. They are cheap and appear to be the same thing as the power stops. Next set I do for my truck or cobra will be them.

mustangbob

Established Member
Ended up going with Centric ceramic pads. Bedded them in last night. Seem to be good so far. However, after inspecting things before I finished up I think I'm going to have to replace the out tie rods and Balls joints :(

GDDYUP

Established Member
I bought my 03 with EBC front brakes, pads and slotted/drilled rotors. Not sure which set they are, but the pads tend to make a mess after a couple days on clean wheels and they make an annoying "click" type sound going down the road. Almost sounds like you have a rock stuck in the tread of your tire. I haven't had a chance to pull them apart yet to see if there's anything I can do to quiet them down.

Just wanted to throw it out there if you were looking at EBC....

Users who are viewing this thread