Brake Pads

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Looking to get some new brake pads for the car. I'm not really wanting to replace them with the factory Hawks simply because their lifespan is horrible. I'm not going to ever to take my car to a track event so I really don't need anything that gives me ultimate performance. I'm just looking for something that does a good job and stopping the car and doesn't wear out in no time leaving brake dust everywhere. What kind of replacement pads have you guys been putting on your Cobras?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I just bought a set of hawks performance ceramic pads. Advance Auto online had a great promotion deal, like 30% off plus free shipping. Use code trt30 if the sale is still going on. That price was cheaper than anywhere else I could find. Of course I haven't put them on the car so can't tell you how they are.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
the ceramics are nice from a low dust and wear standpoint...but the negatives are they take a long time to heat up to their optimum performing stopping distance. Take a lot of short trips and drive in cold weather...watch out. They also wear rotors faster than semi metallic

semi metallic performs much better when cold, they're also easier on rotor surfaces. negatives are they wear out faster and dust more

if you're sub 500 rear wheel i'd feel ok running ceramics along as you respect the lack of cold performance....but if you are approaching double factory horsepower levels and live in cold air and anticipate short drives...I'd personally stick with the semi metallic and learn how to handle the dust on high dollar rims

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
the ceramics are nice from a low dust and wear standpoint...but the negatives are they take a long time to heat up to their optimum performing stopping distance. Take a lot of short trips and drive in cold weather...watch out. They also wear rotors faster than semi metallic

semi metallic performs much better when cold, they're also easier on rotor surfaces. negatives are they wear out faster and dust more

if you're sub 500 rear wheel i'd feel ok running ceramics along as you respect the lack of cold performance....but if you are approaching double factory horsepower levels and live in cold air and anticipate short drives...I'd personally stick with the semi metallic and learn how to handle the dust on high dollar rims

Quite interesting, it's seems there's always conflicts on products. Some say this and others say that, lol. It's just very hard to know what to believe and what not too these days, yeah know?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=88

And this one stated some stuff you pointed out.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/the-best-brake-pads-ceramic-or-metallic.aspx

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
well, I read that tirerack link and didn't see them specifically mention cold performance. But it did say they would "meet factory requirements" so that seems comforting lol, but I'm not sure they're anticipating cars doubling power levels like these cars routinely do. Just something to keep an eye on.

good news is pads are easy to change. if you try the ceramics and are displeased with the stopping distance...just slap some semis in there.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Some good things to think about here. It sounds like ceramics are the way for me but I really do not like the point that the ceramics could wear out my rotors faster. My car is just has exhaust and intake so I'm not at all concerned about the stopping performance of the car. I just want to make sure whatever I replace my current ones with are going to work well for a good while and not mess up the rotors.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I just bought a set of hawks performance ceramic pads. Advance Auto online had a great promotion deal, like 30% off plus free shipping. Use code trt30 if the sale is still going on. That price was cheaper than anywhere else I could find. Of course I haven't put them on the car so can't tell you how they are.

I will have to check this out. Any good deals going on the semi metallics out there? And thanks for the lead on the vendor. Half the battle of getting anything is getting it from the right place.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Many GT500 guys are swearing by the Autozone gold Ceramic pads. I didn't want ceramics so I went with the HD's. So far very little dust and zero noise. I've yet to bed them and season the rotors though.

stangfreak

Established Member
It says that the hawk ceramic pads are rotor friendly and it clearly states increased rotor life.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I've been using Autozone Gold as well. Nice thing about them is free lifetime warranty. I'm on my 3rd or 4th set of free pads.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Using Autozone Gold here as well just on the rear. Once My front wear out I will be switching those over too

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I will have to check this out. Any good deals going on the semi metallics out there? And thanks for the lead on the vendor. Half the battle of getting anything is getting it from the right place.

Yeah the sale is on pretty much everything on there site as far as I know.

bigmoose

Established Member
I've had both hawk ceramics and HPS on my cars. The ceramics did dust less but the stopping performance all around was significantly worse than the HPS. I won't do ceramics again.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
First off I never heard that the factory used "Hawk pads" :poke:

If your not tracking your car the ceramics is what you want. The ceramics are just as good if not better than most OEM pads, do they perform as good as performance aftermarket semi metallic pads? NO that is where people will say that don't have the cold bite of a semi metallic pads.

Ceramics will perform good and more importantly on a "street driven car" they will have minimal dust.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
First off I never heard that the factory used "Hawk pads" :poke:

If your not tracking your car the ceramics is what you want. The ceramics are just as good if not better than most OEM pads, do they perform as good as performance aftermarket semi metallic pads? NO that is where people will say that don't have the cold bite of a semi metallic pads.

Ceramics will perform good and more importantly on a "street driven car" they will have minimal dust.

I just got hawks performance ceramic pads, won't get them installed until spring. But hope I like them!

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I'm probably going with ceramic brake pads. I will never track my car so I do not care about earth shattering performance. I just want something that will stop the car, lol.

Now who has the best deal on them for the 03/04 Cobras and which manufacture is the question?

Tractionless1

Established Member
I'm probably going with ceramic brake pads. I will never track my car so I do not care about earth shattering performance. I just want something that will stop the car, lol.

Now who has the best deal on them for the 03/04 Cobras and which manufacture is the question?

Like I said Autozone HD's.

Users who are viewing this thread