Brake Fluid Reservoir

Draugen

Draugen
Established Member
Probably a stupid question but will ask to be sure. Replacing rear brake pads. Need to remove some fluid from master cylinder reservoir to facilitate seating caliper piston. I remove reservoir cap and find a yellow floating disk inside (see attached file). What is its purpose. I assume it needs to be removed to facilitate adding and removing fluid. I plan to flush the brake system in the near future so just want to be sure I don’t do anything stupid.

Attachments

• 20190108_162937.jpg
    20190108_162937.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 110

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Just remove the cap to the point it won't hold pressure. I normally just remove it and let it sit on top not screwed in. Pressing in the caliper will not likely cause it to overfill - I would see no reason to remove any fluid unless you are planning to flush it or something.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think the plastic piece has to do with the sensor in case the fluid runs low. You don't need to remove it though.

Draugen

Draugen
Established Member
Thank you for the responses. I’ve owned this Cobra for about 8 months and never had to add brake fluid. The level currently is just a bit below the max line and wasn’t sure how much fluid I would push back into the reservoir when I reset the calibers. The pads had plenty of life left so I assume not much. I’m replacing the pads because the car sat for a while and the rotors did not cleanup well after I started putting miles on them. I decided to get the rotors turned and replace the pads. I plan to replace (flush) the brake fluid after I finish with the rear break work. If I don’t have to remove fluid for the pad replacement, I will have to for the flush. I was just curious if the float had to be removed or not. From the response received I take it the float can stay in place.

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
The rear calipers on the Cobra aren't as straight forward as the fronts to do a pad swap. If your not familiar with them FTBR has a video on the pad change you should watch first.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
A special tool is needed to compress the pistons back. I rent it from autozone then return for a full refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Draugen

Draugen
Established Member
The rear calipers on the Cobra aren't as straight forward as the fronts to do a pad swap. If your not familiar with them FTBR has a video on the pad change you should watch first.
I have reviewed this video. Very informative. One thing not covered in the video that is covered in others is a backing plate that gives a smooth surface for the pad springs. This plate was not installed on my current setup but is included wit the pads I ordered.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I took a socket and grinded it to 2 posts to fit caliper.

Just push and turn at the same time. They go in easy.

When installing new. You have to make sure it’s all the way in and line up to pad pins.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
You can normally rent the btake tool for free from Auto parts stores too. That's what I normally do if I need to work on the rear brakes.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread