Brake Dust

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
Anyone else notice a quick buildup of dust on the wheels? (Sorry, not rims - I'm old school)
Ours has only 6K on the clock but seems like there is a large amount of dust that builds up pretty quickly. Anybody have luck installing different pads?

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m on stock pads too, but enjoy the retina-detaching stopping power, so I’ll live with the dust. I may change my tune in a couple years, though....

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
There are a bunch of grocery-getter pads available for the GT350 now from Powerstop and Centric and others, and they reduce the dust a lot. Thing is, they don't have the bite and they're not suitable for track use or anything close to it. If you want a track pad with better dust performance than stock, Pagid RSL29's are a good (but expensive) choice.

Carbide

Established Member
Glad I have the '19+ non-drilled rotors. Should be a bit better when it comes to brake dust from what I understand.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
We switched to hawk hps 5.0 for our Audi, The stock pads were high dust and works decent but the hot pads are a much lower dust and work as well if not better

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TXRickC

Established Member
Ceramic Coating wheels does not help with brake dust.

I've long forgotten how dusty the OEM pads are. I switched over to G-Loc GS1 street pads a couple months after buying my 2018 new. They cost the same as the OEM, bite as good as OEM but have minimal dust. I picked them up from OPMustang. I'd suggest doing the Caliperfexion studs up front but if not OPM supplied long bolts to assist with the pad change.

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
Thanks for the tip on G-Loc!! Since I got all 4 scrubbed good while changing the tires, I'll see how fast it dusts again. I'll look into these pads soon but most of my attention now is on my new to me time capsule 2013 Roush Raptor. 8 years old and 24,000 miles - like new!

ANGREY

Established Member
Ceramic Coating wheels does not help with brake dust.

I've long forgotten how dusty the OEM pads are. I switched over to G-Loc GS1 street pads a couple months after buying my 2018 new. They cost the same as the OEM, bite as good as OEM but have minimal dust. I picked them up from OPMustang. I'd suggest doing the Caliperfexion studs up front but if not OPM supplied long bolts to assist with the pad change.

His point is that coating the wheels helps you DEAL with the dust much easier. Ceramic coated wheels not only collect and hold the dust less (because the surface is slicker) but it makes cleaning much easier, almost to the point that you can hose it off (initially).

As the coating fades and fails, you'll notice that buildup rate increases and dust retention on the surfaces increases back to the point where you need mechanical action to get it off.

Brake dust is ostensibly one of the reasons why all Ford's wheel offerings on the 350/500 now are black. I saw a few photos/post of a guy who unveiled his new white wheels for his white GT350 and wondered if he just enjoys washing wheels, because he won't be able to drive the car around the block and back without having to wipe them down.

Users who are viewing this thread