Brake ducting, pics and details. DUW

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Hi everyone, due to the lack of availability of brake cooling kits on the market, I decided to make my own.

Here are the details and the procedures I followed; the short version.

First, I had to start here.

dustshield.jpg

I had to remove the dust shields eventually, I had a spare pair I used to shape the flanges. I had to drill out the rivets holding them on.

drillrivets.jpg

I'd used the spare dust shields to determine the right shape the flanges would have to be.

correctflangeshape.jpg

and using a flange I'd done wrong, I determined where I wanted my duct to land.

setlocation.jpg

and I set the flange on the dust shield.

flangelocated.jpg

Before I was done, I used a whole tube of this...

hightempadhesive.jpg

It's good to over 500 degrees, the hose is good to 550. I wasn't sure so...

Here's a rotorview!

rotorview.jpg

I left all the strength ridges on the dust shield. I could've opened the rotor side further, but the dust shield is not designed as a structural element, incorporating a ducting system there changed that.

I used button head hardware, stainless, to replace the rivets, along with nylock nuts, 8mm. Even the self drilling #8 screws I used were stainless.

No beer until you route the driver's side hose. (the whole process was done over a week, plenty of beer up to this point) Once done with that, Beer Time!

Here's how I routed the DS hose.

dshoserouting.jpg

Here's how I routed the passenger side hose...

pshoserouting.jpg

As was said, this is a short version, PM me for details.

Here's my new HE screen, along with screens for my (now functional) brake ducts!

plateframe.jpg

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
What kind of ducting is that, and where did you find it? Also, where did you get the flange from? Any estimates on how much all of this cost you?

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Hi Folks, here is some additional information on this setup. Everything's from here http://www.mcmaster.com/ You can get the silicone hose for $100 from here http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ProductSelection.asp?Product=3621 under this number, I think 3621-3.00-12 FOOT

The BD racing site was hard to navigate, and I'd pretty much already decided on making it myself. Having pre made flanges would save time, though.

Qty Part Number Description Total
2 1758k12 Angle Flanges 12.00
10ft 55125k79 High Temp Silicone hose 130.00
1 8896t75 U bolt 5.50
1 7644a11 HT Silicone adhesive 4.86
1 90822a330 Self drilling screws 6.65
1 5413k62 Hose clamps 10.77
Shipping $20
189.78 total.

Some folks have asked about rain, if you look here;

rotorview.jpg

You'll see that I didn't cut the dust shield all the way to the bottom, and I didn't seal that big groove so that rain entering the ducts would (hopefully) hit the shield, and drain on the backside of the sheet metal, on the other side that the rotor's on. I might put a few small holes in the lowest part of the duct.

I'll post a write up on the HE screen in a few days, I haven't done a pictoral on it yet. The short version is that the big screen is 9224t14, 3 Sq. ft. copper wire cloth, natural, with a clearcoat. The cloth is affixed to a copper frame that slides over the fascia, and it's secured with clear silicone. It's 76.4% open area.

I'm making one out of stainless that's got 82.1% open area.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Originally posted by Chris_H
What kind of ducting is that, and where did you find it? Also, where did you get the flange from? Any estimates on how much all of this cost you?

Jimmysidecarr has the best source for the hose, it's at http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/duct.htm

Using this hose, my total cost would have been $124.77 plus whatever shipping went with the hose.

coleman

Established Member
and if you want to cut some more cost, you only need the high temp hose the closer you get to the rotor.
IOW, you can distribute that 11 to 12 feet among a few friends and share the expense.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
and if you want to cut some more cost, you only need the high temp hose the closer you get to the rotor.
IOW, you can distribute that 11 to 12 feet among a few friends and share the expense.

I thought of that, the optimal spot to change hose would be to use a 90 degree low temp elbow where the hose makes it's tightest turn, coming off the tie rod, going to the fascia duct. That'd make routing the hose easier too.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
If there is enough interest, I am thinking of piecing together an inexpensive kit. I would like to develop a better way to secure the ducting though.

Users who are viewing this thread