Brake caliper upgrade help

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Any reason?
The stop tech trophy is only 4 piston and won't clear both my wheel set ups only my custom brixton wheels... they have no rear set up...

Bear has option for rear 13 conversion with 2 piece rotors. They also will make me a a caliper (ss4 or 4p) specifically to fit stock systems for rear i just need to find someone to make a bracket.

I would go with brembo over stop tech if it won't clear both wheel set up... I think

I just want matching rotors and option to do the 13 inch conversion

The 14" stoptech kit would be my choice before the baer 14" 6s kit.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

94slowbra1

Established Member
I just believe stoptech and brembo are superior to both baers calipers and rotors. If you want something that matches then yes, baer may be right for you. FTBR runs brembo and MM runs stoprech. That should tell you something.
I ran a baer 6p kit prior to my brembo 4 Piston set up and it doesn't even compare. It's not all about the number of pistons but their surface area. Also look at the rotor thickness. Brembo and stop tech both use a thicker rotor.
At the end of the day the baer kit will be more than enough for most, myself included. I ran across the brembo kit at a price I couldn't pass up

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I just believe stoptech and brembo are superior to both baers calipers and rotors. If you want something that matches then yes, baer may be right for you. FTBR runs brembo and MM runs stoprech. That should tell you something.
I ran a baer 6p kit prior to my brembo 4 Piston set up and it doesn't even compare. It's not all about the number of pistons but their surface area. Also look at the rotor thickness. Brembo and stop tech both use a thicker rotor.
At the end of the day the baer kit will be more than enough for most, myself included. I ran across the brembo kit at a price I couldn't pass up
Im talking about a different baer cailper I believe see picture below

I have done quite a bit of research on this but I'm no expert...

I'm looking at the baer 6s which is a difference caliper than the 6p.

Bear uses the same rotor (size and thickness) as brembo gt and gts kits. Stoptech as well all 1.25 inch

Brembo gts 4000 dollar kit uses a pad with 91cm2 surface area and 6 pistons caliper is bigger as well

The bear is 3400 dollars and uses a pad with 110cm2. I believe..(can't double check as I lost the source I found that from) and 6 pistons. Smaller cailper size and fits under more wheels.
Lethal has a sale every Xmas for 15 percent off.... so even cheaper.

Pad area is important for longevity but torque applied is roughly the same with a slightly smaller pad not much of an advantage their

More pistons = more evenly distributed pressure on the pad.
Str40 only has 4....(can't find stoptech pad surface area..)

Stop tech uses a floating system.
I have to see if the bear does as well....
Not sure about the brembo using a floating system. ( their is a big advantage in a floating system stoping brake bump. ) i need to look into this more.

If I can get a rear 2 piece rotor 13 inches and ftbr bracket I would go with any of the kits....

Its just nice the baer sells everything its less thinking. And with all the research I have done on this I think I'm over thinking it. Lol

I have a street car mainly that I want to improve the brakes. My car can do a hard stop from 60 no problem with hawkpads street strip, ss brake lines and good rotors. It will not stop hard above 75-80mph the brakes over heat and you can feel them fading during the first hard stop. I almost got in an accident after I went to e85 because of brake fade. This year I didn't horse around at all cause im waiting for a brake upgrade.

Screenshot_20201111-214846_Chrome.jpeg

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

94slowbra1

Established Member
I stand corrected, the 6s is different from the 6p. And you are right, its a much nicer set up, I looked into it at one point.
The brembo does use a floating rotor, very nice set up.
I also a agree having a matching rear set up would be nice. I'm going to be upgrading to the 13" FTBR rear set up soon to compliment my 14" front.
Honestly you can't go wrong with any of the high end kits: brembo, baer, stoptech ect... You will notice their real advantage after multiple high speed stops

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Stoptech actually uses a floating caliper design. The caliper can slide left and right so everything stays aligned when turning.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
View attachment 1668798 View attachment 1668799 View attachment 1668800 Kit on the car, and comparisons between the old baer 13" 6p kit and the 14" brembo kit. Cant say enough about the brembo set up. Big $$$ but probably the best kit out there
And yes I had them powdercoated red before installing. Don't want to confuse anyone.
Damn, how did those fit behind those CCW's? I'm wondering if these will fit behind my CCW classics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

94slowbra1

Established Member
Which brakes and which wheels? I've had multiple different set ups.
The brembos will not fit behind classics, I tried. They would have needed a spacer to clear. The baers cleared the classics. The brembos obviously fit behind the sp500s as do the baers. Both calipers also fit behind the TF Chicanes.
I have no first hand information but I have read the CCW is now cutting classics slightly different and they mat clear the brembos. Again just hear say but worth mentioning. CCW is very helpful of you have fitment questions. Have the spec sheets of the calipers you want to fit and they will tell you if they will work

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
Which brakes and which wheels? I've had multiple different set ups.
The brembos will not fit behind classics, I tried. They would have needed a spacer to clear. The baers cleared the classics. The brembos obviously fit behind the sp500s as do the baers. Both calipers also fit behind the TF Chicanes.
I have no first hand information but I have read the CCW is now cutting classics slightly different and they mat clear the brembos. Again just hear say but worth mentioning. CCW is very helpful of you have fitment questions. Have the spec sheets of the calipers you want to fit and they will tell you if they will work

Yeah, I measured and the Brembos will not fit my big brake cut classics either, sucks. I have the Baer 6p but was looking to upgrade. I think my only option would be the Baer 6s and/or upgrade the 6s to their 6s xtr calipers. I'm liking the bolt in bridge and quick change pads retainer aspect.

Attachments

• 52.PNG
    52.PNG
    706.9 KB · Views: 176

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I measured and the Brembos will not fit my big brake cut classics either, sucks. I have the Baer 6p but was looking to upgrade. I think my only option would be the Baer 6s and/or upgrade the 6s to their 6s xtr calipers. I'm liking the bolt in bridge and quick change pads retainer aspect.
I'm also looking into the Baer setup.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member

Nice. I know the XTR's will fit behind the wheel because they actually need less room than the 6p calipers. I need to check the height of the XTR calipers as they are 0.259" taller than the 6p calipers. I contacted Lethalperformace to see if they can upgrade the 6s kit calipers and hopefully utilize the Christmas sale they have.

Attachments

• Baer 6p caliper.pdf
    105.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Baer 6s caliper.pdf
    113.6 KB · Views: 115

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I would check team beefcake racing. They have the same sales and you can do all the same upgrades as the baer site. As well as choose colors.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member

Which one. If I remember you wanted the 6p in that bronze color? Are you going 13 or 14?

We probably make stuff same power running e85. Im planing on going with the 6s or the brembo gts in size 14.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Which one. If I remember you wanted the 6p in that bronze color? Are you going 13 or 14?

We probably make stuff same power running e85. Im planing on going with the 6s or the brembo gts in size 14.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple
Correct. I haven't done much research on the 6s. I'm leaning towards the 13" so I'm not limited to 18" wheels. Not sure if I'd ever put 17's on though.

I really don't want to spend 3k+ on a brake setup.

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
Correct. I haven't done much research on the 6s. I'm leaning towards the 13" so I'm not limited to 18" wheels. Not sure if I'd ever put 17's on though.

I really don't want to spend 3k+ on a brake setup.

FYI, Beefcakingracing is having 15% off on Baer kits on 12/19 and 12/24. Most I have seen. Most places like Lethal and TPS Motorsports only have 10%.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
For me the best bang for the buck seems to be the ATS setup. The bias issue that is created can be fixed with either 13 inch rear rotors or the older taurus rear 43mm calipers that Mustang5L5 came up with. I can run 17s if I want and easily swap pads. The stock 13 inch rotors will be around forever and are easily found at any parts store. I also have tons of pad options all the way around.

The one thing that nobody is 100% sure of is if the master cylinder needs to be changed out. Baer makes the only 1-1/8 inch bore master cylinder for our cars and its just over $400 shipped. Just to be clear the larger master cylinder looks like it is needed to reduce the pedal travel. The brakes may be a little soft without it. Nobody has run one yet.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think the MC really matters much. Yes, it does matter when it comes to vacuum-assisted brakes, but the hydroboost seems to be different.

For one, Ford used 1 MC for both the GT and Cobra calipers for the same year. Lets look at 99-04 for example. Ford used the 1 1/16" bore MC for both the GT's PBR and the Cobra.

The Cobra is 2-piston, 40.5mm.
The GT is 2-piston 44.5mm
ATS is 4 piston 42mm.

So when you calculate out the piston surface area, you get this. The opposing piston 4-piston calculate out using only 1 side

Cobra = 5152 mm^2 for both fronts
ATS = 5542mm ^2 for both
GT PBR = 6220mm^2 for both
Baer T4 caliper = 5022mm^2

If you keep the rear calipers the same, you'd see the ATS Brembo falls right between the Cobra and the GT caliper, and ford used the same 1 1/16" bore MC. The difference between the rear 38mm and 43mm caliper is 623mm^2 so if you add that in with the ATS brembos, that puts you right at where the 99-04 GT sits, and that still uses a 1 1/16" MC from the factory.

The Baer MC is 1 1/8" but not sure how necessary this is with their kits. The Baer T4 setup is actually smaller than the Cobra brake caliper in terms of surface area. Still trying to locate dimensions for the 6P caliper and the SS4 rear. The pistin sizes vary by application so I haven't been able to find the info for the Mustang specific calipers

Long story short, I think we are overthinking the MC selection here.

Anyway, given that my ATS setup didn't clear the wheels I wanted to run by a lot, I think i'm going with a Baer setup. I'm trying to decide between the 6P or T4 caliper setup in Fire Red. I'm bummed I missed one of these sales as I would have definitely ordered. T4 is probably more than enough caliper for my needs, but I like the look of the 6P caliper more. Most of my desire to upgrade brakes is visual.

I likely won't go with one of the baer rear disk setups as i'm running offset brakes on the rear of my Fox, so the baer rear setups won't work for me due to this. The 43mm caliper is an option however.

BTW, had an excellent experience with Baer customer service regarding the finish on my Baer Remaster. The laser marked MC size was doubled up slightly. Not a huge deal, but at some angles you could see the faint second etching. I emailed them and they immediately sent me out a new MC with a label in the box to return the old one to them. No hassle at all.

I'm kicking myself because If I had seen the sale on the 24th, I ikely would have ordered a 6P setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread