Bought a Taycan Turbo S

ArabianOak

Established Member
@patc84 - Offer anything for @ArabianOak's new ride?

Edit: @ArabianOak - I'm dumb. Forgot this is a full fledged EV, so not much to really do other than visuals. What the Porsche had over the Model S P100D was the second gear shift that allowed it to pull away. Do you ever find yourself wishing you still had the Plaid?
The taycan makes the plaid feel like an antiquated pos. No joke. It’s slower but running 10.3 on the street is plenty for anyone. The Porsche build quality may be the best in the business. I thought the Aston interior was until this.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
All I can see is that Taycan guy who showed up to one of those drag week deals and raced Cleetus. Just kept driving past the 1/4 off the end of the track.
I know AO can handle the power but I wonder when they’re going to regulate these EV performance. Definitely not something an inexperienced driver can handle.
And…did you make money on the Aston?
-J
You know that dude went missing right after that race? There’s a bunch of news articles and videos about it.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
No Hiroshima Hairdryer = not a Turbo. Bet it’s quick as fack though off the line

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn. I thought this was an ICE vehicle.

Do they really call it turbo when it has 0 turbos??

Da fuq!?!?

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn. I thought this was an ICE vehicle.

Do they really call it turbo when it has 0 turbos??

Da fuq!?!?
Nope, no turbos. It's coal powered, like my vacuum cleaner.

They should have called it the Taycan Fluxmaster Stacked.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Nope, no turbos. It's coal powered, like my vacuum cleaner.

They should have called it the Taycan Fluxmaster Stacked.
3A5386D3-264B-40BF-8D9D-F02881B391DA.jpeg

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That was a wild ride! Question, is it common to see a speed limiter like that in most/all EVs?

The Porsche uses a permanently excited synchronous motor. So they vary speed by adjusting frequency applied to the stator windings. The rotor, or rotating portion of the motor, uses the fixed permanent magnets. Very good design and very expensive to produce.

The Variable Frequency Drive used to vary the stator frequency has a maximum theoretical limit at how quickly it can gate it's power devices (probably an IGBT or IGCT). The VFD has a maximum practical frequency it can produce.

Oversimplification: the motor's speed is proportional to frequency applied to the stator. Synchronous RPM == (Frequency * 60 * 2) / number of poles in the motor

Without getting into Vector control theory, the speed of the motor is physically limited by frequency applied to it. This is what will alway set the speed limiter in an EV. Increasing the speed (frequency), or over-modulation, means increasing the limits within the VFD but that comes at a loss of efficiency, increased heating, and reduction of reliability of the power device. IGBTs and IGCTs have a finite number of times they can reliably turn on and off.

In industrial applications where over-modulation is required, that usually comes with a de-rating factor for the VFD. So we up-size the VFD to compensate. Or better still, adjust motor/system dynamics so that over-modulation isn't required.

So we need to hack the VFD in the Porsche to over-modulate it to get higher speeds. Then sell it quick before the damn thing blows up.

Users who are viewing this thread