Bought a demonstrator 08 F150 FX4...

timbo3282

Established Member
So I bought a demonstrator 2008 F150 FX4 with approximately 7,300 miles on it in December from Victor Ford. I went with the Victor Ford salesman to the other dealership, Van Drunen Ford to pick the truck up. I was told by the salesman at the dealer that owned the demo, Van Drunen Ford in front of my salesmen (from Victor Ford) that the oil had just been changed. Next oil change, 10,000 miles.

So last week I got the oil changed at 10,300 miles at Victor Ford, and the Ford Quick Lane service manager said that the seal from the factory was still on the engine (what is the seal they are referring to and what part of the engine is sealed?) and that it had NEVER had an oil change. There was also no record of an oil change in the Ford service computer. :nonono:

So now I am very worried about damage to the engine. I can’t believe that the oil was not actually changed, and can’t imagine the wear that happened with the initial break in oil in the motor for 10,300 miles.

I obsess about changing the oil at 3,000 so this is really upsetting to me.

I’ve asked my dealer (Victor Ford) to perform a compression test, leak down test and an engine oil analysis. What else should I have done? I was thinking a camera through the spark plug holes to look at the cylinder walls, but would this damage the bottom end too?

What damage was probably done and what should I be trying to get done?

My sales guy admits that the other dealer told us both that the oil had just been changed and I have it on a voicemail.

I want to do everything I can now to make sure this is not an issue later.

Does anyone have a picture of what this factory seal looks like?

Thanks to everyone in advance for their help. :beer:

Last edited:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
What did the oil look like when it came out?

Victor Ford are good people. I know most all of them there.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
you have nothing to worry about, the whole 3000 mile thing is a ploy to make you spend more. they have proven that you can go safely up to around 7000 miles while beating on the car with the same oil, i normally change it out every 5K miles.

spike_africa

Established Member
you have nothing to worry about, the whole 3000 mile thing is a ploy to make you spend more. they have proven that you can go safely up to around 7000 miles while beating on the car with the same oil, i normally change it out every 5K miles.

This is correct most non syn oils can get 7k miles or so. Ford uses a semi syn blend that's good for around 12k miles or so. You are fine the whole BS about changing oil every 3k is dumb and is a waste of money.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I do all of my oil changes and the only difference on the first oil change was that the filter used to be painted the same as the engine. The last two I bought were demos but had fresh oil when I picked them up.

timbo3282

Established Member
The dealer wants to do a compression test but stated pretty much what everyone else did, that the new oils are ok to 10,000 miles and beyond.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel better.

sethlovesfords

Established Member
We just bought an 2008 F150 and bought the maintenance package for it, and the first oil change is due at ODO 7500 miles. So really, your not dangerously beyond that mark. I'm sure you will be fine.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
With oils now manafactures recommend longer oil change periods. I'd just raise hell and get them to throw in a few free oil changes. I wouldn't worry about it.

iwishihadastang

i don't know how many quarts it holds but ask the person that serviced your truck how many quarts came out. if it was full your truck will be fine. the break in process is mainly being easy on it. no high rpms to prevent the rings from losing tension. yeah 10k miles is a while to go without a oil change but it did start out with new oil.also the engine was broken in before 10k. it was probable broken in before the oil needed to be changed. in my opinion your engine is fine just dont let it happen again and always check the level. if the dealer did a compression check and it is good then you have nothing to worry about. i dont know what would have happeded farther then ruined cylinder walls.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
****ing shady salesman. I hate em. No respect for someone who is dropping good money to take a 2 year old truck off their hands. If I didn't drive back to confront that prick again, I would at least talk to the Sales Mgr. You have proof. I bet you could get a couple of oil changes if you raise enough of a stink. Hopefully they'll make him pay for it. :beer:

While it's true that going 10,000 miles between oil changes isn't the end of the world, it IS the first one, which is probably the most important IMO

Never mind the oil, too bad you didn't keep the original filter.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Too late. Dude changed the oil a week ago. :nonono:

Scratch that then. Maybe next oil change, take a sample. If there is any premature wear, it should still show up.

I wouldn't worry too much anyway. We run our work trucks to 7,500 and they are put through the ringer everyday and have never had a oil related issue.

Users who are viewing this thread