Bought a cobra

Stallion110300

Established Member
Hi guys,

Just picked up an 01' triple black convert. 100k miles, but it looks like it just rolled of the showroom floor. Has a new paint job on it, but its by far the best aftermarket repaint I've ever seen. Also seems to be mechanically in great shape. Put 3000 miles on the oil (running 7 qts) and haven't burned a drop, oil still looks pretty new also.

It has a magnaflow hi flow x pipe going into, wait for it......cherry bomb mufflers! Doesn't sound to bad but they will be goneasap. Also has jlt ram air and FLSFC and a subframe brace.

Ay ways here's a few pics from the day I got it

fc04e1d70c5ae2c053eb2a6636fbc341.jpg

7d0c3e48ea08d2ca1de4d12e51a44876.jpg

So far, I've added 1.25 wheel spacerson the rear to help it look a little meaner, and just ordered a MGW shifter. Also stainless bumper inserts and snake grill emblem.
Only negative was the suede on the bottoms of the seats was really dirty, but after a ton of cleaning they don't look to bad.

I want to lower it, and have a buddy wanting to sell me eibach sportiness he says will fit IRS, but I don't see that eibach makes them for our cars? He only wants 50$....

jacker1991

Established Member
If you have the money change shocks and springs. I don't like the idea of lowering cars with so much mileage on stock shocks. She looks good though. Have fun!

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Looks good. Congrats on the ride.

shurur

Established Member
And you got one with the pony in the grill...cool...does it have the honeycomb grill?..I can't see by the pc..

PhaidOut

Established Member
Congrats!

Just some info on the springs and lowering.... Probably getting a little technical here. 03/04 are different (or should be...) than 99/01; due mainly to weight differences which means they need different spring rates. (03/04 = iron block v Aluminum in 99/01 +supercharger +incidentals.) I don't know what that really comes out to in the real world but I have never seen them listed as the same for 99/01. Also Coupe v Convertible are different spring rates. Will your friends fit? Sure. Will they work? I do believe so. Will they work the way you want them to? Not so sure on that; but they will not give you the same results as in an 03/04 car. Ride height in the front might be off for example.

I picked up a brand new set of Eibach from another user here this spring for my 01 coupe. There are sets out there. They are also on the shelves of various online sellers...

With that many miles I would recommend a little caution too. Have the bushings been upgraded in your IRS? My 20k car needs them bad and I have put off lowering it for that reason... In my opinion Full Tilt Boogie's setup is the way to go on those but there are other opinions as well. They should probably be upgraded up front as well, but it isn't as important.

Stallion110300

Established Member
Congrats!

Just some info on the springs and lowering.... Probably getting a little technical here. 03/04 are different (or should be...) than 99/01; due mainly to weight differences which means they need different spring rates. (03/04 = iron block v Aluminum in 99/01 +supercharger +incidentals.) I don't know what that really comes out to in the real world but I have never seen them listed as the same for 99/01. Also Coupe v Convertible are different spring rates. Will your friends fit? Sure. Will they work? I do believe so. Will they work the way you want them to? Not so sure on that; but they will not give you the same results as in an 03/04 car. Ride height in the front might be off for example.

I picked up a brand new set of Eibach from another user here this spring for my 01 coupe. There are sets out there. They are also on the shelves of various online sellers...

With that many miles I would recommend a little caution too. Have the bushings been upgraded in your IRS? My 20k car needs them bad and I have put off lowering it for that reason... In my opinion Full Tilt Boogie's setup is the way to go on those but there are other opinions as well. They should probably be upgraded up front as well, but it isn't as important.

Ok thanks for that info. Ill pass and wait for some others. The IRS seems great. I had an 01 gt before this, so I'm used to the bumpy ass sra. What are some places I can look at under the car to see if I need new bushings.

I'm loving the power upgrade from the gt to the cobra though!

Stallion110300

Established Member
How does it sound with cherrybombs? Was considering it on mine.

It sounds pretty good. I prefer more of the Flowmaster 40 sound but it's pretty loud and a little higher ofa pitch than most 4v's. Main issue I haves with the drone at highway speeds. Makes me wanna kill myself. That and the tips look like they're off a z71 and stick out 6 inches.

I'm thinking that the engine may not be the original, seeing as at 105k, it burns NO oil and runs perfect. Any way to check if it was replaced by ford?

desertt5

Established Member
For $50 I would personally go for the springs and try them. If you don't like them, resell for $50.

98fourvalve

Established Member
It sounds pretty good. I prefer more of the Flowmaster 40 sound but it's pretty loud and a little higher ofa pitch than most 4v's. Main issue I haves with the drone at highway speeds. Makes me wanna kill myself. That and the tips look like they're off a z71 and stick out 6 inches.

I'm thinking that the engine may not be the original, seeing as at 105k, it burns NO oil and runs perfect. Any way to check if it was replaced by ford?

If ford ever replaced it under warranty or whatever they will have a plaque on the lower side of the engine stating when it was reman'd. I forget which side. It's been a while.

They also used a sticker on the valve covers but most people peel it away as it is ugly and was on the top front side.

PhaidOut

Established Member
Ok thanks for that info. Ill pass and wait for some others. The IRS seems great. I had an 01 gt before this, so I'm used to the bumpy ass sra. What are some places I can look at under the car to see if I need new bushings.

I'm loving the power upgrade from the gt to the cobra though!

It's an IRS - you more or less need new bushings unless they were replaced from the factory. Welcome to the club. :beer: There is a lot of info out there. Control arms, Rear Differential Support & subframe support are what I will be upgrading. I wouldn't worry tooooo much about it. I have had mine for a year and not done it. But it wheel hops like mad and leaks a little. Both which should go away with upgrading bushings and shocks. It will ride stiff though... It is on the agenda this winter though. Springs, Struts/Shocks, Bushing Kit and an FRPP Diff Cover.

I had an 01 GT with SRA. I put in an Eibach Pro Kit with the bushings... Rode like a rock... Guess I am trying to do that to this car too. :burnout:

Stallion110300

Established Member
It's an IRS - you more or less need new bushings unless they were replaced from the factory. Welcome to the club. :beer: There is a lot of info out there. Control arms, Rear Differential Support & subframe support are what I will be upgrading. I wouldn't worry tooooo much about it. I have had mine for a year and not done it. But it wheel hops like mad and leaks a little. Both which should go away with upgrading bushings and shocks. It will ride stiff though... It is on the agenda this winter though. Springs, Struts/Shocks, Bushing Kit and an FRPP Diff Cover.

I had an 01 GT with SRA. I put in an Eibach Pro Kit with the bushings... Rode like a rock... Guess I am trying to do that to this car too. :burnout:

I was thinking about getting a brace, but i have done 5 or so hard launches in it, trying to get down the skill of launching the IRS, and i have not had ANY wheel hop. The best launch i did so far, the only thing it did was pull to the left pretty hard while the wheels were just slightly spinning. I don't know if the FLSFC have anything to with it, but i know the shocks and struts are stock from what I can see.

Stallion110300

Established Member
Nice to see another triple black vert! Welcome to the site :beer:

Thanks! I guess these are pretty rare, Took me 4 months to find this car, and drove to houston from alabama to get it. Fun drive though, since my ride was my dad driving his Porsche Panamera and wanting to get home asap. Made a 8 hr drive in 5 flat. $9500 is a pretty good price right?

Users who are viewing this thread