Bought a 2016 GT with a bad motor

Zincvert03

Banana Rocket
Established Member
Been a while since i've been on the site, was forced to sell my Cobra a few years back and been living the slow life.

I manage the service side of a large used car lot and about 4 months ago we bought a 2016 GT from an auction. Just now getting it ready to go on the lot since the snow is going away...aaaand the bottom end knocks, metal in the oil, shes all done. So I figured i'd pop in here and get a feel for what i can expect when trying to source a motor for this thing. Any and all help/advice/information welcome. Thanks fellas.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What Sid said! You should know that you have lots of options since you work on the service side at that large used car lot. Start those phone calls to junk yards, Ford parts, etc. to see what's out there and what the pricing is. What you do end up doing might depend on what you have in mind for this GT. The "in-between" that Sid mentioned might be your best choice if you're looking for a mild performance upgrade. Then do a mild re-build yourself or have it done my a reputable shop.

pwt's17

For me (not in used car business) -
Low miles salvage engine starts at $7500.
Crate long block starts at $7000.
Used 2016 GT in my area start at a little under $20,000.

So, if I were looking at a 2016 GT with blown engine for around $12,000, I would be better off looking at one with good engine for $20,000.

But, since you already have the car -
Here are good crate engines which, unless you can get much better salvage yard deals, would be the way I would go.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Couple facebook vendors that always seem to have used takeout engines in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread