Bought a 04 Cobra... need some help...

BoostinFD

Established Member
Hey guys,

I bought an 04 Cobra with 40K miles this weekend. I've had a 02 Saleen long time ago as well as 03 Cobra... Probably 10 years ago, i would say. Wanted to get back into one again, so here we are :)

These are the mods that I know about:

Steg stage 4 ported Eaton
SCT Xcal 2 with tunes loaded
Billetflow 2.76 pulley with full idler set
Kenne Bell BAP
Afco heat exchanger
Canton expansion tank
Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
JLT cold air
X-pipe
SLP LM2 catback
spec 3 clutch with 26 spline input shaft, aluminum flywheel with steel insert
3.90 gears
40k Miles on the car.

Overall, the Car seems fine... however, there are some things that I'm trying to sort out.

1. Billetflow Idler pulley squeaks. I replaced the bearing with a new National from o'reilys ($9). Stopped squeaking for a little bit, then started again. It has this belt on it: Micro-V K080765. I can also say, that the sucker seems too tight, in my opinion. When I was removing the idler pulley, the tensioner could only move about 1/2 an inch or so... Reading here, people swear by Gatorback belt and that the Gates one was squeaking... I don't mind trying it, but i'm curious if anyone knows what size I should go with since I believe, I should go a little bigger.

2. CEL light is on... P0358 which is being vague about Coils. I've also read that it could be the SCT tune that's on the car and not being able to advance timing? I checked the coils and they all seems okay and up to the specs. I even swapped 7 and 8 and 1 and 2 to see if there are any differences, none. Same code. Any ideas here?

3. ABS light is also coming on after about 10min of driving. Code C1222 which says speed wheel mismatch. I cleaned up all the ABS sensors... so I doubt it's them... the wheels on the car are all 18's FR500's. The tires, rear has 305... I forgot what the front is, but it's thinner, obviously. I'm not sure where to go from here about this?

Those are the 3 major things that i'm trying to fix for now. Rest are all minor trim squeaks, and cosmetically.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If the code didn't follow the coils I would check the plugs. Bad plugs can cause misfire codes.

Did you measure the height of the tires to make sure they're close?

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
p0358 is a circuit code for #8 cop. the red wire on the plug should be hot when running or key on, and the other is a pulse modulated ground coming from the pcm. you can test with a test light, check the pwm gnd by clamping the test light clamp to the positive battery terminal, and touch the probe to the wire, gently, don't cram it in there as you will damage the terminal. with the car running it should flash faintly. Then with the key on check for power at the red wire.

Zemedici

Established Member
Abs light is usually an issue with the module itself, you can have it rebuilt (there's a couple websites that repair them) or get a replacement

Squeak may be slight misalignment, check alignment of your pulleys

BoostinFD

Established Member
If the code didn't follow the coils I would check the plugs. Bad plugs can cause misfire codes.

Did you measure the height of the tires to make sure they're close?

I'll check the plugs... I don't feel any misfire. I would know, as I had some coils fail recently on my explorer. This car runs just fine.

Funny you say that about the tire height... I think, well I hope, that the fact that the damn front right tire is almost flat is causing the light. I guess it's got a nail in it or something as it was slowly deflating... just earlier I saw it flat. I'll fix that and report back.

p0358 is a circuit code for #8 cop. the red wire on the plug should be hot when running or key on, and the other is a pulse modulated ground coming from the pcm. you can test with a test light, check the pwm gnd by clamping the test light clamp to the positive battery terminal, and touch the probe to the wire, gently, don't cram it in there as you will damage the terminal. with the car running it should flash faintly. Then with the key on check for power at the red wire.

Thanks! I'll give this a shot tonight.

What color is she? She sounds mint!

Black... Convertible. I know some of you guys hate on convertibles but I really wanted one :)

BoostinFD

Established Member
Also, I bought 2 gator/continental belts just now and will test it. According to my research, my part number belt is 77 inches (even though it should be 76.5). So I bought a 77.2 inch and 77.5 inch belts. I figured this will give me little more room for the tensioner to actually work and it's a gator/continental belt. Hopefully the squeak will go away.

If anyone is looking for these belts, the part numbers are: 4080772 and 4080775. Got both from an ebay seller for 29$ shipped.

T3RMINATOR

Established Member
I'll check the plugs... I don't feel any misfire. I would know, as I had some coils fail recently on my explorer. This car runs just fine.

Funny you say that about the tire height... I think, well I hope, that the fact that the damn front right tire is almost flat is causing the light. I guess it's got a nail in it or something as it was slowly deflating... just earlier I saw it flat. I'll fix that and report back.

Black... Convertible. I know some of you guys hate on convertibles but I really wanted one :)

Verts are alright. Sounds like she is nice. Good luck with fixing the little quirks she has

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

still03cobra

Established Member

Black Vert also man! Had to get a Vert for the girl!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BoostinFD

Established Member
Update: got new tires... abs light is gone.
I swapped coils 7 and 8... 80 miles later, light hasn't come back yet... I'm sure it will but I wanted to see if the code will be for cylinder 7 now... power to the coils is coming... so hopefully it's a cool and an easy swap.

I do have one odd quotation... I'm going out of town for a week and my brother in law is going to be watching the house... teenagers... so I'm wondering is there a way to put a car in the limp mode or disable the supercharger from boosting? I don't mind if he drives it, but I want to prevent accidents. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostinFD

Established Member
Oh and the squeak went away with then new Gator belt. I went 1/4 inch bigger than what I had as well. Perfect now.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
If he doesn't have experience in a powerful car I wouldn't let him drive it. These cars can quickly get away from one easily and they aren't very forgiving. And if he comes around a corner it leaves a light hard and doesn't know about the wheel hop, an axle can snap too.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Tell him it's better if he doesn't drive it - you aren't sure what's up with that code yet and you don't want him to get stranded. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread