Bottle tester read E90, car sensor reads E70....

04OWwhipple

Established Member
I found this to be very interesting, all this past summer here in Phoenix, AZ. My car has been registering 85-90% ethanol content through the sensor from my local pump. I recently filled up both of my cars and did a bottle test before pumping into my cars. The bottle shows 90% but my car is only registering it as 70-72% ethanol. My mustang is using a Haltech Ethanol sensor with my Elite ECU. In my BMW I have a inline Fuel-it brand ethanol sensor. Both sensors in both cars show 70-72% while bottle test show E90 before pumping it into both cars, there was 3 weeks between filling each car.

Anybody else experience this? Or can explain the variance between the bottle test and my vehicle's sensors?

gt347mustang

Established Member
Use real graduated cylinders instead of those little test tubes. Those test tube toys are difficult to fill accurately.

96dreamer

Established Member
Water in the fuel will also make the sensors read wonky. They are really only reading the % of gasoline in the fuel and subtracting that percentage from 100%. So 60% E, 20% water or other contaminants and 20% gasoline would read e80 on the gauge.

I agree the small test tubes are difficult to get a 100% accurate reading on but 20% should still be apparent.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Where are you getting this from the pump?

For years, I've only been getting 52-54% at the pump. Recently though, the same stations are now showing 64-66%. I'm in the west valley.

I haven't tested any of it, but just go by my Innovate gauge.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Water in the fuel will also make the sensors read wonky. They are really only reading the % of gasoline in the fuel and subtracting that percentage from 100%. So 60% E, 20% water or other contaminants and 20% gasoline would read e80 on the gauge.

I agree the small test tubes are difficult to get a 100% accurate reading on but 20% should still be apparent.

This is true but by that thought process my sensors would right a higher than correct content instead of lower than test tube I would think.

Where are you getting this from the pump?

For years, I've only been getting 52-54% at the pump. Recently though, the same stations are now showing 64-66%. I'm in the west valley.

I haven't tested any of it, but just go by my Innovate gauge.

It depends on where you go. I am in west valley too, south goodyear to be exact. I usually get mine from Mobil 1 on 67th & Mcdowell. I took my car apart about 7 months ago and just got it back together. But for a year before I took it apart that station was consistently reading 80-90 % E

Users who are viewing this thread