Boss v Volt

42RCODE

To Many Toys !
Established Member
I will take the Boss thank you:beer:
I think the volt is not that great of a car and it won't save GM.

satx

Banned
I will take the Boss thank you:beer:
I think the volt is not that great of a car and it won't save GM.

while it won't save GM, I do think there is something to be said about not having to buy the black stuff from the crazies. Lease is 350/mth I think.

Can't wait to read about the volt in the lightning lap:D

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
7k rebate for the Volt though, if it matters. Don't think anyone on this board will own a Volt, its just not in our blood.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
7k rebate for the Volt though, if it matters. Don't think anyone on this board will own a Volt, its just not in our blood.
Interesting thread. Not only do I have a deposit on a 2012 Boss I'm on a list to buy a Volt. Although the Volt is for my wife and I haven't committed to buying one yet. IMO plug in hybrid's are a game changer. I read a review yesterday where the guy has had a test car for 19 days. He's able to plug it in at work so he saves on fuel cost. He used just over 9 gallons of gas driving just under 1,300 miles. Wow.

Here's the link.

Husker

Established Member
I can see it now, Pay Plug-in Terminals, some-body's gotta pay for the electricity to charge these so called green machines!

Husker

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
for the time being the volt can best hope for being a pruis like money loser/trend setter.
even now the prius is a car for mostly rich people who want to be seen driving it to prove they are progressive. if the volt can get there, it will be successful. there will be next to no cobalt or focus/fiesta drivers lining up to spend that kind of money.

the strange reality is that prius is a public relations maneuver designed to try to get into ford's F150 market share.

as someone that lives in small town north carolina, i have no use for plug in transport.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I can see it now, Pay Plug-in Terminals, some-body's gotta pay for the electricity to charge these so called green machines!

Husker

thats you, buddy. when your power bill goes up. oh and most of that juice for the volt will come from increased coal based electricity.....oops.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
thats you, buddy. when your power bill goes up. oh and most of that juice for the volt will come from increased coal based electricity.....oops.
The Volt and plug-in hybrids are not perfect but they are a step in the right direction to end our dependancy on foreign oil. I'm of the opinion that we should use nothing but cheap foreign oil and save our supply for the end when it gets really expensive. :-D I'll do my part with full throttle runs in my new V8 next Spring.

Both my wife's and my work places have parking for electric's and the juice is free, at least for the time being.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
.. I do think there is something to be said about not having to buy the black stuff from the crazies.

You are aware that we have consistently imported more oil each year from Canada than any other country in the world, yes?

I'm of the opinion that we should use nothing but cheap foreign oil and save our supply for the end when it gets really expensive.

When it comes to reserves, (obviously) Saudia Arabia is at the top with ~ 260 billions of barrels. After that, it's Canada (179), Iran (136), Iraq (115), Kuwait (101).

The US is down the list a bit with only ~21 billion barrels (all 2008 information).

Energy Information Administration (EIA) - International World Energy Data and Analysis Current and Historical Data Maps Oil Production Consumption and Reserves World Regions and Country level information

Obviously, it pays to keep a close relationship with some of the above.

Like a fat chick that can't put down the pie, we have a huge consumption problem.

Energy Information Administration (EIA) - International World Energy Data and Analysis Current and Historical Data Maps Oil Production Consumption and Reserves World Regions and Country level information

All said, I'd still take a Boss over a Chevy Volt any day.

:rockon:

satx

Banned
When it comes to reserves, (obviously) Saudia Arabia is at the top with ~ 260 billions of barrels. After that, it's Canada (179), Iran (136), Iraq (115), Kuwait (101).

The US is down the list a bit with only ~21 billion barrels (all 2008 information).

*must resist.....rant.....brewing....fail

oil can be produced profitably from most of these sources for under $10 a barrel. What happens to oil demand when the world has 100MMM electric vehicles?

I cannot understand the anti-electric vehicle sentiment. Electricity is MUCH cheaper, we have the existing infrastructure and is made HERE. We can also make as much as we want forever whether than be from coal (huge domestic supply), natural gas (huge domestic supply), wind (huge domestic supply) or solar (huge domestic supply) or a combination of all of the above.

The tech to make these vehicles is getting cheaper and cheaper and there will be no need for incentives in the relative near term. Win, win.

Like 5 Dot 0, I will consider one as my daily commute needs would be satisfied with under 40 miles of range (like 90% of americans). The volt obviously isn't restricted to this range but I like that I could run the thing essentially electric only but still have the option to drive further if the need arises (unlike the leaf). 350/mth is damn cheap and they will only get cheaper.

*exhales

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
satx said:
What happens to oil demand when the world has 100MMM electric vehicles?
I think a more appropriate question (considering your mention of our apparent huge sources of existing infrastructure*) would be what happens to electricity prices when the world has 100MMM (?) electric vehicles? And who will determine grid appropriations?

Tob

*You're in CA and never saw a rolling blackout?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I cannot understand the anti-electric vehicle sentiment. Electricity is MUCH cheaper, we have the existing infrastructure and is made HERE. We can also make as much as we want forever whether than be from coal (huge domestic supply), natural gas (huge domestic supply), wind (huge domestic supply) or solar (huge domestic supply) or a combination of all of the above.

The tech to make these vehicles is getting cheaper and cheaper and there will be no need for incentives in the relative near term. Win, win.
IMO electric vehicles are the only feasible alternative for the next 20 years. Forget hydrogen, it's way too expensive to implement. 10 years from today any household with more than one vehicle will own at least one electric vehicle. You heard it here first. :-D

As for rolling blackouts they were mostly caused by the idiots at Enron and the trading firm in Oregon. Notice that we haven't had them since even though we've had summers that were much hotter. Regardless the infrastructure and jump in demand will drive prices higher. Better to keep that money here than paving the streets with gold in the middle East with our money.

OTOH if the brain trusts in Utah can ever get cold fusion to work all bets are off. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

satx

Banned
I think a more appropriate question (considering your mention of our apparent huge sources of existing infrastructure*) would be what happens to electricity prices when the world has 100MMM (?) electric vehicles? And who will determine grid appropriations?

Tob

*You're in CA and never saw a rolling blackout?

the blackouts were a completely separate issue.

The infrastructure is there because it is built to handle peak loads in the daytime and then has lots of extra capacity at night to charge cars sitting in their garages.

Electricity can be produced in whatever quantity required so the number of electric vehicles doesn't matter. Grid issues and additional production facilities would be decided as they are today.

Users who are viewing this thread