Boss heads vs ported coyote heads

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Ive heard that boss heads don't have a lot left to port on them. Stock GT heads can flow better after ported.

-Thomas

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
a good set of ported will be better

I have an oem set sitting here for a core if someone wants to have them sent out

$1100 shipped

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Was wondering if anyone had any info on which heads would be better for an NA build.

What are your power goals ? because stocks heads flow great unless you're trying to go for 600+ WHP. Cams are more vital if you're looking for instant gains based upon your current mod list in your signature. They're also on sale for like 300.00 off right now. Talk with Shaun he'll explian this to you, cams are good for a solid 50-60 WHP.

svtdriver484

Established Member
What are your power goals ? because stocks heads flow great unless you're trying to go for 600+ WHP. Cams are more vital if you're looking for instant gains based upon your current mod list in your signature. They're also on sale for like 300.00 off right now. Talk with Shaun he'll explian this to you, cams are good for a solid 50-60 WHP.

Plan was just to go with cams until I found out one of my header bolts is so stripped from the person who installed them that the bottom of the bolt is up against the header and the top of the bolt has a good eighth inch gap. I had an exhaust leak at the header and was hearing a rattle and the rattle ended up being that bolt wiggling side to side about an eight inch. So since I have to take the head off to fix that I'm going to get them ported or pick up some boss heads. I will be getting cams during the process also.

pufferfish

Established Member
until someone does a head to head comparison (NOT the magazines...they get paid by the people who port), its all speculation. my .02 is ford did exhaustive work on the gt heads to make them the most fabulous stock heads on the planet. then they got to blank slate a second set of heads and came up with the boss version, which shares nothing with the gt heads but outside appearance and valvetrain architecture.

There are no flow numbers for the boss heads other than printed articles stating 4-6% flow increase on the intake and 10% increase on the exhaust. ported heads will add more than this, but they do so with larger port volumes (boss heads have the same runner volume as gt heads). larger port volumes may flow more, but they kill velocity. so, much like the boss vs gt intake, you lose low end to gain top end.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Was wondering if anyone had any info on which heads would be better for an NA build.

What are your goals for your vehicle MBA? Are you looking for a certain ET? HP and TQ? If you give me a little more information I would be glad to go over the best options for you sir! Look forward to hearing from you! -Chris

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
What are your goals for your vehicle MBA? Are you looking for a certain ET? HP and TQ? If you give me a little more information I would be glad to go over the best options for you sir! Look forward to hearing from you! -Chris

What would be best for an all out n/a build? Stock compression with stock shortblock, billet oil pump gears, comp cam stage 3's, cj manifold, e85.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We offer both ported BOSS heads (ported over the stock CNC port) such as those used on the worlds fastest/2000HP MMR coyote and we also offer porting on stock GT heads. The BOSS heads ported outflowed the GT heads ported by over 11 cfm on the intake side when flowed at 28" and .550 lift

Our porting prices are as follows (price is per pair):

Stage 1 4 Valve TiVCT $950

Stage 2 4 Valve TiVCT $1050

Stage 3 4 Valve TiVCT $1150

Above prices include complete dis-assembly and assembly, new seals and competition valves job. options include MMr stainless steel high flow valves, Upgraded spring and retainer kits.

Modular Motorsports Racing

MMR%2050%20spring%20ret.jpg

TivCT%20LB%201.jpg

cnc%20Coyote.jpg

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
We offer both ported BOSS heads (ported over the stock CNC port) such as those used on the worlds fastest/2000HP MMR coyote and we also offer porting on stock GT heads. The BOSS heads ported outflowed the GT heads ported by over 11 cfm on the intake side when flowed at 28" and .550 lift

Our porting prices are as follows (price is per pair):

Stage 1 4 Valve TiVCT $950

Stage 2 4 Valve TiVCT $1050

Stage 3 4 Valve TiVCT $1150

Above prices include complete dis-assembly and assembly, new seals and competition valves job. options include MMr stainless steel high flow valves, Upgraded spring and retainer kits.

Modular Motorsports Racing

MMR%2050%20spring%20ret.jpg

TivCT%20LB%201.jpg

^ what's the turn around time for the heads?

svtdriver484

Established Member

Well i was planning on doing just a cam swap but now with the stripped header bolt hole i am planning on having the heads ported while they are off. Power wise id like to be in the 500whp range on 93oct and maybe 520ish on e85, mid 10s with a higher 120's trap speed would be what i would really be looking for.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well i was planning on doing just a cam swap but now with the stripped header bolt hole i am planning on having the heads ported while they are off. Power wise id like to be in the 500whp range on 93oct and maybe 520ish on e85, mid 10s with a higher 120's trap speed would be what i would really be looking for.

I'm assuming you are contemplating an aggressive cam setup? What brand and type of headers are you using? Exhaust? Intake? Feel free to flood me with information so I can help. Thanks

is porting stock GT heads even worth it for forced induction applications for most street built applications?

As I'm sure you already know, with CNC porting on the GT head it allows for better flow. With better flow you are lowering the restriction of the airflow (boost psi). With that being said you will have a more efficient engine that is having less stress put on it. On top of that you are also working your power adding less aiding in the dropping of IAT's. So CNC porting is a winner all around no matter if it is for race or street use! -Chris

svtdriver484

Established Member
I'm assuming you are contemplating an aggressive cam setup? What brand and type of headers are you using? Exhaust? Intake? Feel free to flood me with information so I can help. Thanks

For the cams I was thinking either comp stage 3's. not 100% sure on the cams yet. Exhaust is pypes long tubes, pypes orx, stock over axle pipes, bassani axle back. Intake is a boss manifold that will be getting port work while it is off. Stock throttle body and a JLT intake.

Users who are viewing this thread