Boss checks off all the boxes but still seems high

systemplayer

Established Member
I've been looking for right Boss 302 for about 4 months now. I don't know if that's a long time or not, because there is so little out there that fits what I want. Here are my priorities:

1. Car has to be stock (or near stock) and include a Ford activated track key.

2. After plenty of seat time in both seat options,..... I'm sold on the Recaros. The car has to have 'em

2. Only color choice is performance white (I prefer the graphics on the 2013, but I also like the 2012 decal.)

3. Low mileage 1 or 2 owner car.

So I've found a car that pretty much checks off all the boxes. It's a 2012, performance white Boss with under 7K on the clock. Ford factory activated track key. Zero mods under the hood. Interior mods are X-brace and gauge cluster (these may have been a Ford factory installed option.) Under the car: Exhaust is original but for an added QTP exhaust cut out for the sides.

Drum roll; The car is 34.5K non-negotiable, that's before tax, tags etc. Add $1150 for an enclosed trailer trip and it's puts the car at 39K all in door to door.

That seems HIGH to me. Do you think it's worth continuing to search or is this near perfect car the one to buy ? Thanks for your advice. Marc
modify_inline.gif

Last edited:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
The seat delete with x brace was $1600 from Ford

the gauge cluster was another $1000

what do cut outs cost ?

how many miles ?

Back seat parts included ?

original 8 year old tires ?
If so, might be able to negotiate a little off based on you’d probably want to replace them soon.

noco5.0

Established Member
That's a little high but given how specific your wants are and the fact they aren't making them anymore if it's the car you want it might be worth it. I've paid a little more for the exact car I want at times rather than settling for something close.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I totally agree with @noco5.0. You have specific wants in your Boss search, and this one might be the one you don't let get away. It might be worth paying a bit more for getting exactly what you're looking for. Be careful not to miss the opportunity since you've been searching for 4 months. It's not that far out of the norm, price wise, considering the X-Brace and Gage Cluster options it has. That's $2600 right there.

Is this pretty much the one you're looking at, paint and graphics wise? If so, it's really nice.
2afd2899798a6a3791b7f2bcbbcd51db.jpg

systemplayer

Established Member
The seat delete with x brace was $1600 from Ford

the gauge cluster was another $1000

what do cut outs cost ?

how many miles ?

Back seat parts included ?

original 8 year old tires ?
If so, might be able to negotiate a little off based on you’d probably want to replace them soon.

Hi: Thanks for the thoughtful response. Yes, the rear seat delete and the gauge cluster do bring in extra value. Both installs seem to be super clean. (Ford install?) Checking online; the QTP cutouts can be bought for $500. (back seats and associated parts not included.)

The car has 6900 miles on the odo. - Tires are the original Pirelli's but still have decent tread. 8 years though, they're probably on their way out.

There seems to be zero room for negotiation. Thanks again. Marc

Recon

Established Member
I’d say it’s probably a pass at that price. Luckily they made more than one.

Pick your poison.

systemplayer

Established Member
That's a little high but given how specific your wants are and the fact they aren't making them anymore if it's the car you want it might be worth it. I've paid a little more for the exact car I want at times rather than settling for something close.

Thanks for the reply. You have a great point. Pay more for a car that has what you want .......or the trade off....and pay less for car that doesn't meet all your needs. This is pretty much what I'm grappling with. If you are going to pay more for a car that "checks off all the boxes"..........how MUCH more is within reason ? I'm getting close to making a decision. Thanks for the advice.

systemplayer

Established Member
I totally agree with @noco5.0. You have specific wants in your Boss search, and this one might be the one you don't let get away. It might be worth paying a bit more for getting exactly what you're looking for. Be careful not to miss the opportunity since you've been searching for 4 months. It's not that far out of the norm, price wise, considering the X-Brace and Gage Cluster options it has. That's $2600 right there.

Is this pretty much the one you're looking at, paint and graphics wise? If so, it's really nice.
View attachment 1650174

Thanks very much. Your response makes me think "Oh what the hec, I know it's more than I should pay, but just buy it, because you don't know if a similar car will show up again. And if so, when ?"

Recon

Established Member
That's the wise / smart response I was hoping not to hear, but definitely appreciate that you said it.

Ok now for the other response. If you want the car buy it. If you not happy with the price you can try to negotiate. If the car is needing service it’s good to drop the price a little for the needed repairs. Worst they can say is no. If they’re adamant on non-negotiable then make a call. Pay a high price on this car or wait for another one.

Pick your poison.

noco5.0

Established Member
Make an offer and see what they say. Even if they don't take it you never know they may call you back. As specific as your wants are on the car on the flip side there probably aren't a ton of people out there looking for a white Boss 302 at that price. How long has it been for sale? You could try running the VIN through Carvana or GivemetheVin.com to get a good estimate of the wholesale value and offer a couple of thousand above that. I bought my 13 for 32k last August with 3000 miles and some minor bolt on mods. You can search Bring a Trailer auction results to also get some recent sales.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I'd say 39k is pretty high for a Boss 302 especially a non Laguna Seca. I think the car is probably worth that 39k in smiles and fun just the market is soft on them.

That being said if it is exactly what you want. You need to make an offer and try and get it. Good luck!

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
$39 is tax title registration, all in

car is $34,500

offer $33,500 ?

For the tires and back seat parts not being included ?

hotboy1966

Established Member
I bought a '12 back in 2016. It was the color I wanted(red), original owner, low mile(3150), Recaro seats, torsen, and the owners kit.
The only thing missing was the TracKey... which became unsupported right after the purchase.
It had some mild suspension mods and a nice set of HRE wheels. The original wagon wheels and all other factory parts were included.
I paid 37k plus tax, license, shipping.
Did I pay too much? Maybe. I don't care. It is the car I wanted. It's a blast to drive. I smile every time I plant my ass in the driver's seat.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
If you want it, buy it. I found a low mile (3k miles) GB back in 2014 and paid 44k for it because I wanted something unique.

Downsoutg

I paid 35k for a 13' gotta have it green Boss last month. I flew to the state where it was and drove it home, took it from 8k miles to 9100 miles. Completely stock, needed new tires from sitting. Probably paid a tad too much but its exactly what I wanted. Have not regretted it and dont see a scenario where I will.

hotboy1966

Established Member
There is a white boss on Seattle Craigslist right now. 20K miles, LS wheels, original wheels incl. 31,500
Also a black LS with 9800 miles for 37K

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

systemplayer

Established Member
OP, did you ever decide either way?

Update: Shortly after posting this cream puff back on July 5th the car was "swept out from under me" by another buyer. Just as quick as that it was gone.

I learned from this process though. I know now that if I find the right car, and it checks out, .......that I'm going to buy it, no regrets, even if I pay a couple grand too much.

So now I've spent the last two months diligently looking, and there's been nothing, .....until today :) Today I found another car that checks off all the boxes: 2013 Performance white, Low miles, one owner, clean carfax, zero mods, activated track key, owners kit. The kicker is ........the car is local and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Keep you posted on this one.

Thanks, Marc

Users who are viewing this thread