Boss 302 and Cobra Jet intake with boost question?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Anyone know how much boost can safely be ran through the Coyote Boss 302 or the Cobra Jet composite intakes?

Anyone know of anyone pushing a good amount of boost with success?

Looking to build a 5.4 with one of these intakes eventually.

Thanks,
Ken

Voltwings

Established Member
Well the Boss/cobrajet offer their own advantages over just strength. What i would love to do is make the engine as free flowing as possible with an NA setup, The CJ setup, headers and yada yada, THEN add boost. This way, you can make more power on 93 alone because your free flowing setup will require less boost for the same airflow. Maximizing a setup on 93 is always what i like to do, theres E85 at the end of my street (and i have run it many times before), but its not without its own hassles.

Id be willing to bet a CJ intake and throttlebody will make the same horsepower as a stock manifold TB combo (all else equal) at probably 1-2 psi less boost. Its hard to compare since most kits run like 6 psi out of the box, but as the boost starts rising, so will the delta between the two setups.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
This way, you can make more power on 93 alone because your free flowing setup will require less boost for the same airflow.

Maybe Im wrong, but...
If the engine had a cylinder size that would expand then the larger volume with relatively no or little pressure change would work... more o2 molecules
You would have to increase the fuel amount to burn at the proper AFR resulting in a larger BOOOOM minus compression ratio.
But the cylinder walls do not expand, well a minute amount, they stay constant and only hold so many o2 molecules at 1 atmosphere... This can only change naturally when the barometric pressure changes the atmosphere in the cylinder area. To aid this, decreased air flow restrictions allow more air to flow at a higher velocity into the cylinder area to get as close as possible to 1 atmosphere helps. While better exhaust scavenging removing spent gases and improve the air quality in the combustion chamber resulting in more power... This helps as well.

Forced induction increases the atmospheric pressure in the cylinders combustion chamber. Forced induction is affected less by barometric pressure changes...
Force induction has few limits, what limits forced induction,,, the pump, heat generated by compression of air, the container the air is being compressed into and the heat at where the fuel ignites...

OK so lets say we are at 2000 feet above sea level and the DA is roughly 3000. The barometric pressure in PSIA is 13.5 pounds, yes this true science ... so we are going to apply 2 pounds of boost. this gives us a new PSIA of 15.5 pounds. or we increased our atmosphere by 15%... So in doing this... We increased the amount of o2 molecules by 15% and we now have a new pressure for or piston to compress, at say 11:1 so now we now have all this pressure in our chamber ready for a big BOOM... 10 pounds of boost now we are at 23.5 PSIA, we have increased or o2 molecules by 72 percent depending on outlet air temperature and that times our compression ratio and the added fuel and even a more of big boom , a really big boom...

How the Boss or Cobra Jet Intake will help over the stock coyote running forced induction they will apply their design physics at the RPM's the runner lengths were designed for... Your coyote intake will fall short at 6800 just like when it sucked air... The same with the Boss and the CJ, both have a peak RPM
2014 Super Cobra Jet is a 5.0 with twin turbos flowing through the CJ intake.

So in conclusion.
2 pounds of boost is 2 pounds of boost...

Sorry OP call 1-800-367-3788, option 2 Ford Racing Parts number

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
I think you took that a little further than it needed to go lol, I didnt read all of that, but i think i can explain further.

i come from the world of turbo 4 cylinders, namely the mazdaspeed3. Our stock k04 on 93 octane is limited to about 300 whp, and thats at about 20 psi of boost. Now i had two "big turbos" on that car, a garrett 3071, and a gtx3576. On the 3071, i was able to achieve about 350 whp on 93 octane (all else equal), and on the 3576 i was able to get just over 400 whp (again, all else equal).

on the 3071, 350 whp came at 24 psi, and on the gtx3576 it came at 21... why is that? Because boost is a measurement of restriction between the compressor and the cylinder head. Free flowing manifolds, intercooler pipes with fewer bends (each 90* is the same as 5ft of pipe) and an overall free flowing setup will reduce the amount of work the turbo is doing by reducing that resistance.

Since the turbo is not working as hard it will operate cooler, and produce cooler BAT's (bosot air temp, or IAT2 as some platforms call them), and reduce the chances of knock, which im sure you know the components of: Heat and pressure. We can use methanol or E85 to reduce or combat the heat, but by creating a free flowing setup we can reduce the "pressure," effectively, while maintaing airflow.

i think where you got hung up is you were thinking of boost measured at the combustion chamber, not the intake manifold.

The same thing can be seen on Turbo'd hondas which maintain their Vtec cams, they will literally drop several PSI when the cam switches over because the system has seen a drastic increase in flow. That drop in boost however does not result in a loss of power, because the overall airflow is still maintained.

Last edited:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I really only want to know how much boost the composite intakes (Coyote, Boss 302 and Cobra Jet) will take before they will have issues with cracking or blowing a hole through them.

Thanks,
K

Users who are viewing this thread