borla stingers vs xr-1, which is louder? best tone?

quick94gt

Fobranator
Established Member
I want to order either the borla s-type or xr-1's and weld them in to my cat back...are the xr-1's quieter the the stingers? If so that's what I want, the magnaflows I have are too quiet but I'm afraid the stingers will be too loud, how do those two muffler compare to each other? Car has a bassani catted X-pipe.

Last edited:

ellis4

Established Member
I would recommend hanging onto the magnaflows depending on how much you drive your car. I had a MAC on mine before I went to magnaflow (I'm running longtubes and offroad x) because the thing was a bit out of hand on the volume level.

If you want ear bleeding loud then go for it. I've only heard a few cars with stingers and an offroad, and they were ungodly.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I loved my XR-1's back when I had them. I know I will end up going back to them. My only problem is I swap catback every coouple months...I get bored with the same sound.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmW9-HtcViI"]YouTube - ‪2001 Cobra with Kooks and Borla XR1's‬‏[/nomedia]
This is with Kooks LT, Kooks OR-X, and the XR1's

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
I loved my XR-1's back when I had them. I know I will end up going back to them. My only problem is I swap catback every coouple months...I get bored with the same sound.

YouTube - ‪2001 Cobra with Kooks and Borla XR1's‬‏
This is with Kooks LT, Kooks OR-X, and the XR1's

I just wanted to say that your car is the inspiration for me to go with XR1s! I spent like a whole week crawling through exhaust videos and this one did it for me!

My only concern is whether a 3" xr1 is going to be taller vertically than the steeda setup I have now. The car is slammed and I can't give an extra millimeter. Did you notice it was taller or shorter than your chambered setup? And which muffler was it, the round or oval setup?

Also how was it at idle and normal driving? Was it manageable and then beastly under throttle? That's what I'm hoping for. Sorry for all the questions but seriously, that car sounds amazing!

Last edited:

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
Thanks man...according to the website the XR-1's in either 2.5 or 3" are the same size. Summitracing part numbers 40941, and 40943

They are smaller that my Steeda mufflers but not by much. The Steeda catback I have is the oval mufflers as was the XR-1's.

To me the exhaust was just like my current steeda catback, good normal idle, no painful midrange, but screams under load. Of course the XR1's are louder than the steeda but not as loud as the stingers.

Users who are viewing this thread