Borla has an ignorant owner with no class or customer service skills

arodsvt

C Quema
Established Member
I went to the Borla event yesterday in my pony............and when i arrived there, there where about 30 peeps.....which was fine....i registered and recieved a goody bag, which i thank them for. But as people where purchasing exhaust systems directly from the wife of owner of Borla i had a question. I already have an exhaust on my mustang and i understang its a Mustang event, but im in the market on purchasing an exhaust for my Jeep srt8 i figured why not purchase a Borla system there directly from the co. So i asked her i was interested in the exh. system for another vehicle that wasnt a Ford and i didnt expect install that day or to take it that afternoon, but i would purchase it in full. I asked if i could buy it at a lil discount like the borla systems were discounted for the mustangs............and i quote her "well if u werent so loud about asking for a discount maybe i could do something, but since your are i wont" and the retail price she said was $1300 and change and she would let it go for $1100 and change, and gave me the price on a posted note and said here. I told here that on the web they sell for $1000 and change and i told her what companys where offering the price, then her son buts in and says one of the companys i had mentinoned was out of buisness yet earlier in the week i had got a price from them for less than $1000.

I understand its a business but if should would have said u know im sorry thats the best we can do or tell me i could start a group buy or u know come with something a lil more customer service like i wouldnt have been bothered.....or maybe she thought by the way i looked i had no money.......cause thats how i felt. But thats fine i will take my money and buisness. I guess my 6 digit $ annual salary wasnt represented in my apperance, oh well!

Ignorant owner that has no class.......:eek:

Last edited:

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Could you expand on; “and i quote her "well if u werent so loud about asking”:??:

arodsvt

C Quema
Established Member
Could you expand on; “and i quote her "well if u werent so loud about asking”:??:

I said to her to her if i could get some type of discount for an exhaust that wasnt for a Ford...........as simple as that and i had 2 other witnesses that were rite there next to me.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
I said to her to her if i could get some type of discount for an exhaust that wasnt for a Ford...........as simple as that and i had 2 other witnesses that were rite there next to me.

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is; did she expect you to whisper the request to her or did you yell out your request above the group noise at the time??

Glenn_03Cobra

Wake the Snake
Established Member
This sounds like something that should be taken-up with Chris, who orgainzed the event, to get it straightened-out. They had a great event yesterday IMO, it would be a bummer if this incident tainted all the good that happened.

Are you sure she wasn't referring to the revving of the motors and cars driving-in, when she referred to "loud?" It was pretty noisy during registration.

If I knew that happened to you, I would've walked you over to Chris or Alex Borla himself to straighten it out. Alex walked around and mingled with everyone throughout the morning. He took the time to chat and certainly showed class. From my short discussions I had with Alex and Chris on Saturday, I get the impression that they would have set things right for you.

Sorry you had a bad experience but, others had a good time... nice prizes, free food, free dyno, free and fast installation, etc. And all of the employees were very friendly. Perhaps they are not used to working directly with the consumer since, they are a manufacturer.

arodsvt

C Quema
Established Member
I guess what I’m trying to figure out is; did she expect you to whisper the request to her or did you yell out your request above the group noise at the time??

No i did not yell out the request to her............she was the one and only one taking orders and she was behind her flip table with the lil credit card machine and some notebook paper and i asked that i wanted a system for a different vehicle make and if i could get some type of discount since im a Ford owner that was considering in purchasing some of there products.......trust me im not leaving anything out.............:read: witnesses were there.....

Last edited:

arodsvt

C Quema
Established Member
LOL @ MAC

sounds like more is missing from this story

Nothing is missing.............it is what it was............But its there loss, i guess they didnt want to make an xtra $800.00 to $1000 in profit..........which true vendor would refuse to sell there product especially at an open house type event.......:dw:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
has anyone forworded this to Chris K? I'm sure he would want to know about this negative experience after they spent so much time,effort and money to make this event a positive experience about Borla

we worked alot with Chris while we were helping develop the Stinger system for Borla.. he even had Rick in their Ford magazine adds for a long time..
we met with the owners several times and they always were very business and family oriented..

also Borla has a minimum allowed advertising pricing policy that the dealers have to follow or they will be dropped as dealers..usually when you call Borla they will give you the highest retail price because they want you to work thro the dealer system...being that this was a special event they were probably willing to come down somewhat on the pricing but that dealer you got the quote on may have been dropped for not following the pricing policy...

Last edited:

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
Yes, Linn, it has been forwarded to Chris K. I am sure you are correct, Borla spent too much time and money to make the event a success and they would be only too willing to work out any problems with an unhappy customer. Too bad it was aired on a public forum this way and not taken up directly with Borla. :nonono:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
or with you as the unofficial event coordinator..unfortunately people vent when they are upset and dont always think things thro... it is hard to say how helpful they will be now after reading this thread.. Ive always found that you can get more accomplished being positive than being negative and that companies or anyone for that matter collectively respond better when approached respectfully rather than being publically attacked

David Borla

I went to the Borla event yesterday in my pony............and when i arrived there, there where about 30 peeps.....which was fine....i registered and recieved a goody bag, which i thank them for. But as people where purchasing exhaust systems directly from the wife of owner of Borla i had a question. I already have an exhaust on my mustang and i understang its a Mustang event, but im in the market on purchasing an exhaust for my Jeep srt8 i figured why not purchase a Borla system there directly from the co. So i asked her i was interested in the exh. system for another vehicle that wasnt a Ford and i didnt expect install that day or to take it that afternoon, but i would purchase it in full. I asked if i could buy it at a lil discount like the borla systems were discounted for the mustangs............and i quote her "well if u werent so loud about asking for a discount maybe i could do something, but since your are i wont" and the retail price she said was $1300 and change and she would let it go for $1100 and change, and gave me the price on a posted note and said here. I told here that on the web they sell for $1000 and change and i told her what companys where offering the price, then her son buts in and says one of the companys i had mentinoned was out of buisness yet earlier in the week i had got a price from them for less than $1000.

I understand its a business but if should would have said u know im sorry thats the best we can do or tell me i could start a group buy or u know come with something a lil more customer service like i wouldnt have been bothered.....or maybe she thought by the way i looked i had no money.......cause thats how i felt. But thats fine i will take my money and buisness. I guess my 6 digit $ annual salary wasnt represented in my apperance, oh well!

Ignorant owner that has no class.......:eek:

Hi, this is David Borla from Borla Performance (previously referred to as "son" lol).

While I can understand your pricing frustrations, I must be very clear that we could not have achieved the position we hold in the marketplace without treating our customers right and we will continue to do so for as long as the Borla family is designing and manufacturing performance aftermarket parts. After devoting the last 30 years of our lives to building a brand with an undisputed reputation for excellent customer service (that also happens to be our last name), the Borla family is highly committed to the satisfaction of our customers and we are not interested in upsetting people, particularly those who make the effort to come visit us at our home.

Please allow me to shed some light on this if I may......

The pricing issue (which is the root of the problem here) is a fairly normal part of our daily business routine and something that most aftermarket manufacturers deal with regularly as well.

Here's the problem in a nutshell - It's difficult for end users to understand why they pay more buying direct from a manufacturer and it's difficult for manufacturers to give a quick explanation why when asked this question by a consumer. Many of our aftermarket performance partners have the same issues at their shows and I have even seen this exact issue come up at non-automotive consumer shows where manufacturers sell direct. It's just a difficult situation regardless of the specific parties involved.

If you want to know more about the issues manufacturers face at events such as these, please send me an email at [email protected] and I'll be happy to tell you some things you might not know about the process. There's a rock solid formula to how and why aftermarket performance companies price the way they do at events like this one but it's a lengthy explanation and not something that can be reasonably communicated in a noisy, windy and time constrained scenario such as the event last Saturday.

I'm not quite sure why you feel that your income or appearance has anything to do with this but I assure you they do not. The fact that you were unhappy that you could not buy a system directly from the manufacturer for the same price (or close to it) that you were previously quoted by a distributor would not have changed regardless of your income or appearance. It's not like we were out there giving deals to whomever was dressed best and looked like they had the most money. Quite the contrary actually, everyone paid the same price regardless of income and/or appearance and that's part of the point of an organized pricing structure at an event such as this.

If you are unhappy/unsatisfied with the way our pricing structure was communicated to you, we apologize and assure you that it was not our intention to slight you in any way. As I mentioned previously, we could not have made it this far without a commitment to excellent customer service. Based on what you have quoted above, it seems that the only thing that could be seen as "poor service" is the alleged statement "If you werent so loud about asking for a discount maybe i could do something, but since your are i wont". Now I can see how that might have upset you but I also know the person in question very well and I assure you she was poking fun. Many Mustang owners who had just purchased systems from Borla at the set prices heard you ask her for a discount and were waiting on her response. I thought she did quite well with it actually.

Regarding my statement about Tbyrne - It was a genuine question regarding the state of their business. Look at their website http://tbyrne.com/ it says "on vacation" and the phone number listed 1-877-4-TBYRNE is disconnected. If you, or anyone else knows what happened to them please send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks and sorry for the confusion,

David Borla

Users who are viewing this thread