Boosterthon, school fundraiser

01GTB

Established Member
Just curious if anyone else has had any experience with this group.

My mother rents a home from a nice couple next door. They have a six year-old granddaughter that started private school last year. So far they have hit my mom up for magazines and something else at Christmas. All for school. She kind of feels guilted into it for some reason. But I think this one was a little over the top.

About two weeks ago the child's mother brought her over to drum up money again. This time they were going to "run laps around the track" and they were looking for per-lap pledges. I guess the minimum was $1 per lap. They were not interested in any fraction of a dollar. Now, the child is a little on the heavy side and imagining her running more than a few laps around a track seemed unlikely at best. But my mom agreed to pledge $1 a lap even though she felt like she had been put on the spot again. What, the third time this school year?

Well today she's informed the kid ran 35 laps. The maximum. and i guess almost everyone did. But the laps weren't around any kind of formal track, just a little circle. To me it was a little deceiving. Not taking anything away from the kids, but I think asking for what amounts to a guaranteed 35 bucks without disclosing it kinda stinks.

I did a little research on Boosterthon and it seems people either love them or hate them. It seems the company walks away with about half the money and the school gets the other half. And they seem to use the kids to do their dirty work by rewarding them with crappy prizes to round up pledges.

Dragu1a

Established Member
they keep coming back bc she keeps donating. they're a scam and that last one especially was a rip off.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
your mom needs to get a clue. it's a scam. and LOL at a fat kid running around 35 laps. I am betting the dang "track" doesn't even exist. I would have told them I want to come watch and cheer her on.

If your mom can't grow a pair when dealing with the neighbors kid. you need to either go over there when it happens or just loan her yours.

My mother rents a home from a nice couple next door. They have a six year-old granddaughter that started private school last year. So far they have hit my mom up for magazines and something else at Christmas. All for school. She kind of feels guilted into it for some reason. But I think this one was a little over the top.

About two weeks ago the child's mother brought her over to drum up money again. This time they were going to "run laps around the track" and they were looking for per-lap pledges. I guess the minimum was $1 per lap. They were not interested in any fraction of a dollar. Now, the child is a little on the heavy side and imagining her running more than a few laps around a track seemed unlikely at best. But my mom agreed to pledge $1 a lap even though she felt like she had been put on the spot again. What, the third time this school year?

Well today she's informed the kid ran 35 laps. The maximum. and i guess almost everyone did. But the laps weren't around any kind of formal track, just a little circle. To me it was a little deceiving. Not taking anything away from the kids, but I think asking for what amounts to a guaranteed 35 bucks without disclosing it kinda stinks.

I did a little research on Boosterthon and it seems people either love them or hate them. It seems the company walks away with about half the money and the school gets the other half. And they seem to use the kids to do their dirty work by rewarding them with crappy prizes to round up pledges.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

That's deceptive for sure. I can just see these kids running around a tiny 10' diameter circle 35 times in a scant 2 1/2 minutes. And collect half of the $35. pledge from the kind folks who were deceived into thinking/assuming it was going to be done on an actual high school track. Sounds like Boosterthon is making a nice income from scams like this. :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread