Boost??

livnlrn

Established Member
Im loosing boost after first pull. The first time I run the car through the gears, its fine. When I run it the second time, I loose boost like crazy!! It wouldnt go over 9 or 10lbs today. Brand new Gatorback belt w/2.93 bf pulley w/100 snub. Could it be slipping on the crank?? I have a 4lb lower.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It might be starting to get week. I went through a couple tensioners before I finally stepped up to the Thumprrr. Normally I would say the belt since it seems to be heat related. But you say the belt is new. I guess I should have asked are you sure the belt is the right length? My buddy just went through something similar on the dyno. His belt was too long and causing slip.

livnlrn

Established Member
It might be starting to get week. I went through a couple tensioners before I finally stepped up to the Thumprrr. Normally I would say the belt since it seems to be heat related. But you say the belt is new. I guess I should have asked are you sure the belt is the right length? My buddy just went through something similar on the dyno. His belt was too long and causing slip.

I just put this belt on because my other belt (gates) was chirping bad. Put a Gator on & that prob is fixed. Belt is perfect size. Could the belt be sliping on the crank? I dont think it is on the blower because when I cant make boost, u cant even hear the blower whining.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It doesn't matter if it's slipping on the crank or the blower. Either way it will cause a loss of boost. Did you have a problem with boost with the Gates belt?

FWIW I've been told the Gatorbacks aren't good for boosted set ups. The grooves in the ribs give up area for friction. I've never run one in a boosted set up, so I can't say how they work from personal experience.

Last edited:

livnlrn

Established Member
Had same prob w/the gates. I will never own another Gates belt. I had trouble with them on my vortech set-up too. So far the Gatorback is workin good. Did awesome on the dyno & for the next few weeks after. Then started chirping bad. Took the car out today & it never lost boost at all?? I might try a new tensioner.

livnlrn

Established Member
No. Sorry. I worded it wrong. The gates is the one that started chirping. The gatorback is on there now. So far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread