Boost Question

04sn8k

Kenne Bell is my hero
Established Member
I have installed my 2.8 pulley and my boost gauge. The question or questions I have are; what boost should I be pushing with just the pulley? I have not tuned it yet. Right now it's showing 10 lbs. at WOT. I thought I was supposed to be hitting at least 13 lbs. Would tuning it make the difference in boost? Or would it be the boost gauge? I checked to see for leakage and there was no leaks. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
You need a tune with that pulley before you go out and rip it or your going to break something.

04sn8k said:
I have installed my 2.8 pulley and my boost gauge. The question or questions I have are; what boost should I be pushing with just the pulley? I have not tuned it yet. Right now it's showing 10 lbs. at WOT. I thought I was supposed to be hitting at least 13 lbs. Would tuning it make the difference in boost? Or would it be the boost gauge? I checked to see for leakage and there was no leaks. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you look at your boost gauge it only reads up to 10psi. But you are pushing between 13-14psi. I've run a 2.80 on a stock tune for 3000 miles. But you shouldn't. Find a good tuner in your area and stay away from these canned tunes, IMHO.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
OK OK OK.....when you changed your pulley to a smaller one your getting more boost and more HP cause your getting MORE air into your motor. There is this thing called air/fuel RATIO. This thing..the ratio...IS IMPORTANT. When you add air..you need to add fuel. When you add air without fuel you go lean..and your motor goes...BOOOOMM!!! Rich aint bad..lean is BAD. So...get you a 4lb lower....to go with your 2.8 upper and GET A TUNE. Now...you can get a internet tune..however...STAY OUT OF BOOST(watch the gauge) until you dyno your car. Let the guy know..it's an internet tune and to watch "that ratio thing." Now...once you have your dyno sheets and all email your tuner that info so he can adjust your tune if needed. If they are a good tuner like Rick from Amazon Tuning Solutions you might not even need any corrections as I didn't. If there is a local tuner then by all means let him do the entire procedure. Now...read read read read read read read....dont post...READ READ READ....hope this helped...READ.....-Shane:beer:

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
with my 2.8 steel steeda pulley and BF idlers i was seeing 13.36 max then dropped off to 10.34 by 6k rpm. The boost was logged when it was on the dyno. It was the same thing even after 3 dyno runs. If you have a aftermarket exhaust... midpipe and cb it might read lower by 1-3 psi...

04sn8k

Kenne Bell is my hero
Established Member
Thanks guys...I need not to drive it anymore until I get it tuned. Got it. Thanks. I think I'm going to take it to Joe Lynch in Midland. I hear from everyone that he is the best in the area at tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread