Boost pressure on different fuel types

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
So as the title indicates, I’m trying to see how much boost to run for different fuel types. The car is a 2013 5.0 with a built and sleeved bottom end with forged Manley pistons and rods. The compression ratio is 10:1. The car has a Hellion twin turbo setup with 6266s. Car is in the early tuning phase and is currently at 9psi on 92 octane with low 600hp range. The car will ultimately have a 92, e85, and e98 tune.

My question is for those who are running the same c/r or tuners, what is a ballpark estimate on how much boost I can run on each type of fuel given the c/r? Also, for those currently running a similar setup, how much boost are you running and what kind of power are you making?

Thanks for reading

jeffs

Established Member
Strong motor, Ethanol, lower compression ratio, I'd guess mid to high teens for boost fairly easily, and probably into 4 digit rwhp range if I was to guess. I'd definitely ask your tuner first. If he's not too sure, I'd creep up on the boost, and datalog, or get on board with a tuner who is pretty certain on where you need to be in terms of power / boost for your application. That sounds like a very nice build to gamble with, but once it's sorted out, should be nothing short of amazing imo! I'm currently doing a built bottom / no sleeves, single turbo set-up, and am just going to turn up the boost a little at a time while monitoring fuel pressure, knock sensor activity, and A/F ratio. I'm guessing the first thing I'll run out of is fuel system capacity, then back her down a bit once I hit that threshold.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Yeah, I was curious what others are making on 92 at what boost mainly before any knock. I’m expecting at least 1xxxrwhp on the e85. They’ve been turning up the boost little by little, I believe the wastegate pressure was 5psi and it made about 515rwhp. I would like to see about 700rwhp on 92 but not really familiar if that’s safe even with a 10:1 motor. I’m sure someone on here has done it.

clinton2003

Established Member
i'd think it would all be about timing on it. if you were running say 20* on e85 on 14psi, i'd back it down the timing considerably. then see if you see any knock, or if knock sensors are still adding.. if they are adding, you can leave it or jump up a bit, you dont want to go high enough its not adding on its own, in case you get some crappy fuel, then it will see knock every once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread