Boost or NA? Capabilities of Gen2?

chagan02

Established Member
Okay so I’ve searched and searched all over the web and I’ve seen many different opinions.

I have a decision to make:

1. Build NA and forgo Boost

2. Just save money (May take years) for S.C.

Honestly I don’t need 625+whp, but I would like to have 500-550. So my question is, I see 2018 GTs (mine is 2017 M6 Gen2) hitting 500+ whp. So why can’t I do that with full bolt ons including the 2018 manifold? What else are the major differences Gen2 vs Gen3? Compression or something I’m not accounting for?

Of course these bolt ons would be about half the cost of the S.C., yet with the the S.C. being a better bargain HP/$. I just don’t know when (if ever) I will be able to afford it. Not to mention all the other supporting mods needed for all that power....clutch, fuel pump, etc.

Would love to hear some opinions, other than what I’ve read in threads on other sites found via Google Searches.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

e85svt

Established Member
If your goals are 500-550 you dont need a power adder to achieve this. Though itll be much easier and much more cost effective to do it with a blower. Full bolt ons on the stock longblock will net around 440-465 whp depending on the dyno and fuel you are running. In order to make 500 whp on a gen2 it's going to take cams at least and e85. That's really where the expense comes in also including labor. 18+ 5.0s have the benefit of a slightly wider bore size, direct injection, slightly more aggressive cam profiles, and a higher compression ratio than the gen 2 does and does not need that many modifications to make at or around the 500whp mark. Now, all of it depends on what you're going to do with the car. If you feel like you arent going to utilize all the power and you spend most of the time on the street and arent looking at running low e.ts then stick with being n.a especially if you want it to last. Then again gen 2s can handle well north of what your intended hp goal is but if you get greedy you'll regret it. So basically if you want a fun street strip car that's still potent, and has fun usable power stay n.a other wise if you can save for boost I'd do so because you know that you will always want more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

chagan02

Established Member
If your goals are 500-550 you dont need a power adder to achieve this. Though itll be much easier and much more cost effective to do it with a blower. Full bolt ons on the stock longblock will net around 440-465 whp depending on the dyno and fuel you are running. In order to make 500 whp on a gen2 it's going to take cams at least and e85. That's really where the expense comes in also including labor. 18+ 5.0s have the benefit of a slightly wider bore size, direct injection, slightly more aggressive cam profiles, and a higher compression ratio than the gen 2 does and does not need that many modifications to make at or around the 500whp mark. Now, all of it depends on what you're going to do with the car. If you feel like you arent going to utilize all the power and you spend most of the time on the street and arent looking at running low e.ts then stick with being n.a especially if you want it to last. Then again gen 2s can handle well north of what your intended hp goal is but if you get greedy you'll regret it. So basically if you want a fun street strip car that's still potent, and has fun usable power stay n.a other wise if you can save for boost I'd do so because you know that you will always want more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Thanks for feedback! Yeah I don’t plan on running the car for best ETs. I’ve already been down that road with my last car ten years ago and it just got undrivable on the street. My wife also drives the car a bit so I don’t want it to cantankerous. That said, my last car made 550whp (00 NewEdge) and I loved that power level but my wife was a little scared to drive it cause of the lopy cams, blower, etc. Thus, if I could get 450+ whp I think I’d be happy. I’m sure I’d wish I had more, but that’s always the case. Would like to stay away from E85 and hold at 93 for fuel.

I did some research on the cams and even though I could install them myself, you’re right about the cost. By the time I did CAI, LongTubes, 18 manifold, Cams, and tune, I’d be approaching $4500, hell just $1500 shy of a centri and ~100whp shy of that. Although my preference would be a VMP or Roush PD blower if I was doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If not racing, MT82 has a better chance but the 2.3 TVS of all varieties will get you that power easy.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread