Boost controller on procharger

slvr35th

Established Member
Ok guys im new to this whole bov, boost controller thing. Im thinkin about doing a boost controller on my procharger. I was going to put a smaller pulley on it to spin the charger faster at lower rpms but still stay at 12 psi. I really dont know how a boost controller works, and the difference between a bov and wastegate, can someone please help with this?
Nick

slvr35th

Established Member
there is a thread that talks about it, i just dont know about what i would need and stuff, so i was hoping a turbo guy could help me on this.

goat-ee

Established Member
You need a wastegate, don't know all of your specifics, but probably a 38mm or 44mm should do it. I haven't done it on a supercharged car, but my guess would be that you would just put the wastegate on the discharge side of the head unit and depending on rather you have a blow through or draw through maf, you would either vent it to atmosphere (Blow Through) or ??????? on the draw through. Not sure on the draw through?

00BlackGT

Established Member
well being pro-charged im assuming that u are blow-thru.

it looks like you could run a tial mv-s wastegate right before the intercooler with a manual or electronic boost controller and then run a light spring (7-10lbs) depending on where u want your boost level at a min.

mine is pullied from the previous owner at sees 10psi at 5500 so my tuner lowered my rev limit to 6100k, to prevent me from making to much boost. But if i went this route i could open her back up but keep the same powerband!

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I'm building my motor at the moment. This is the setup I want to run as well. Seems way more practical. I'm curious how it would sound though.. You'd hear boost bleeding off at the upper rpms. I always thought it'd be great for the "race tune" so you never have to change a pulley... ever!

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
This is a neat idea, and has been done in the past. When done right, it can give you much more power down low in the powerband. The power curve looks more like a turbo car..

There was actually a great write up about it in an issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine.

Adding A Wastgate Produces Big Power On The Dyno - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

This is the most in depth write up I've seen on the topic.. Really neat!

Homer

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I'm building my motor at the moment. This is the setup I want to run as well. Seems way more practical. I'm curious how it would sound though.. You'd hear boost bleeding off at the upper rpms. I always thought it'd be great for the "race tune" so you never have to change a pulley... ever!

My thoughts exactly. One pulley and thats it! A race tune for 20+ psi and a pump gas tune for 12-14 psi. All you would need to up the boost is the boost controler and high octane fuel.

slvr35th

Established Member
well i guess it seems like a good idea, next i need to get with someone to help figure out what i need to get to make this work. the way i see it you will still run a bov and also run a wastegate with a boost controller. Then set your boost levels and tune it.

Users who are viewing this thread