Boost Bypass install instructions (with pics).

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
It's the factory's way of limiting boost. I added a 3lb lower pulley on my Lightning and it would just fallon it's face on the 1-2 shift (engine's revving faster than any other shift), unplugged it and never had the problem again. I drove almost TWO YEARS with it unplugged. Not the first problem.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Guess I'll add my two cents worth......I unhooked the electrical connection on both my 99 and 02 "L" and ran them until I sold them without any problems whatsoever.

The boost bypass does not dump boost on the "L"'s to relieve stress during the one/two shift. That is accomplished by the computer that momentarliy shuts down several cylinders.

The main reason "L" owners unhook the bypass (and I'm sure the same things happens on the 03 Cobras) is due to the fact almost all chips raise the shift points (and on the Cobras the rev limiter) to a point beyond the blowers pre-programmed "bypass" point.

If your vehicle is unchipped, you will rarely create a situation where the bypass valve will be a problem, however I've already unhooked mine ...............hey, the last thing you want is to be side by side with a camaro owner, and you don't have boost....

Gen2 Lightning

Established Member
Originally posted by 11secCobra
will it make much of a difference if you dont have a pulley?

yes! The best place to shift these vehicles is around 6400 to 6500, even stock, and if you tag the boost dump, and/or the rev limiter (that's another story), then it'll definitely slow you down.

03&68cobras

Established Member
I am also considering this mod with some skepticism. I do not want to blow up my engine either. Go to RPMOutlet.com and look at their notes on this mod. They claim that this mod only stops a dump at WOT, and all other situations are still functioning. I am not sure this is possible, but would be more inclined to do it if this were true.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by 03&68cobras
I am also considering this mod with some skepticism. I do not want to blow up my engine either. Go to POSCOMPANY.com and look at their notes on this mod. They claim that this mod only stops a dump at WOT, and all other situations are still functioning. I am not sure this is possible, but would be more inclined to do it if this were true.

Please do not trust or believe anything they say, BUT I will state that what is listed is accurate concerning the boost dump. Just UNPLUG the electrical solenoid, though, and do NOT waste your money on buying those vacuum hoses and tees. I am not quite sure why everyone isn't listening when it comes to this, but it does the SAME thing.

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
So, if simply unplugging the unit solves the problem; wouldn't just plugging both lines yeild the same effect? Thus resulting in no ECU error.

Any thoughts?

BOOOOST

Established Member
Originally posted by captain4g63
So, if simply unplugging the unit solves the problem; wouldn't just plugging both lines yeild the same effect? Thus resulting in no ECU error.

Any thoughts?

No, it wouldn't. You need to leave the vacuum lines hooked up. What I'm saying to do, as well as what Kenne Bell tells you to do, is unplug the electrical connection.

Kenne Bell will tell you that buying these so called "Boost Bypass Kits" are nothing but a complete ripoff.

Regardless, that code does not trigger an SES light, although it sets a DTC, but the DTC does NOT hinder performance in anyway. If you need to clear it, for possible dealer reasons, just plug it back up and after a few drive cycles it'll go away, or you can just pull the negative cable off of the battery for about 10 min.

Last edited:

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Can you explain why it wouldn't. The switch, being a solenoid, is either on, or off. So it is either connected or disconnected. Depending on the solenoid's normal condition, its like connecting the two directly, or plugging both up.

Any thoughts?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
Unplugging the solenoid was suggested to me (and told that it would not trigger an error code). So far, no code....and honestly, I'm not expecting one.
KB even coments that all you need to do is unplug the selenoid and that the kits are overcomplicated and not needed.

Aparently the stock setup also dumps boost when the clutch is depressed and if you miss a shift you have a huge boost buildup which may cause damage. I think for now I am going to leave mine intact.

BOOOOST

Established Member
Again, just UNPLUG the electrical connection; IT DOES THE SAME THING AND IT IS FREE!!!

This method will NOT set a check engine light.

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
Anyone have any problems with unplugging the soliniod or should we still bypass it???????????

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
Also anyone have any other pics of how to do this.............the ones innthis thread arent showing up for me!
Thankx

HIPSICOBRA

Established Member
How about some pics? i'm new to the site and everytime I go to pull up a thread relating to something I want to know the pics are missing??

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
edited because thread link is no longer valid.....

Last edited:

Swervedriver

Established Member
You could measure the resistance/impedance of the solenoid then get put a resistor in place of the solenoid.

This would keep the ECU happy.

Users who are viewing this thread