Boost at Low RPMs

03cobra#116

Established Member
In an earlier thread, there was a discussion about the risk of overheating the engine with boost at low rpms -- such as accelerating in 6th gear up a grade from 45.

I turned on the digital water temperature gauge hidden in the odometer (that is a really cool feature) to do some tests.

So far, there is no perceptible change in engine temperature from running the boost. As long as the car is moving, it stays cool even in Atlanta summer afternoon temperatures. The temperature stays at 85 degrees C +- 2 degrees. Declines seem as likely as increases as the car pulls up in low rpms with boost.

The engine does warm up if the car is setting still idling. It will move up to 100 C, and then I hear the fan coming on.

maoun

Established Member
i've heard this too....so, is there anything else bad about doing it?

thanks
m.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03blackCOBRA
How do you turn on this hidden feature?
With your key off press and hold the tripmeter button thing and turn on the key but don't start the car and hold it for a few seconds until test is displayed. When you see that let go of the button and start the car. The gauges will sweep and then you can select whatever you want to view. When you turn off your car it will return to normal. There have been a few threads on this.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/99hec.htm

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
It's not the heat. It's hammering the bearings like that at low rpms(which equals low oil pressures and volumes) that is bad.

Downshift into fifth to get into the boost. Your bearings will love you for it. Mod motors already spin bearings like there's no tomorrow compared to most engines. No need to help it along..

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
It's not the heat. It's hammering the bearings like that at low rpms(which equals low oil pressures and volumes) that is bad.

Downshift into fifth to get into the boost. Your bearings will love you for it. Mod motors already spin bearings like there's no tomorrow compared to most engines. No need to help it along..

Yeah. I'm also concerned about the lean A/F down low.

Users who are viewing this thread