Boomba Racing STS block

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Bought the Boomba Racing short throw shifter block about a month ago and got to installing it about two weeks ago. The past two weeks driving with it in has been an adventure. Here are my results:

Pro:
~Installation is quite easy. Its really just 3 bolts to install the plate and push the shift cable back onto the ball stud.
Striking piece that is very, very well built. I got mine in non-anodized clear(basically silver).
Clear coat looks thick and will hopefully not oxidize over time.
All hardware is stainless.
20% shorter throws are quite noticeable and help with finding the 2-3 shift. Removed the dead spot that was apparent from the factory.

Cons:
~Installation was somewhat easy(read above as a pro) but the instructions dont tell you to remove the battery box. With the box installed you are prone to knocking into the PCV / manifold hoses and could easily break one off if you are not careful. I did not have this problem but it would have been nice to know going into it.
~Angle of the shift lever increases to over 30 degrees pitching the shift cable upwards. This could lead to cable wear over time and I will be checking to make sure no abnormal wear patterns start.
~6th gear is an awkward pull into gear. Doesn't feel like its grinding or having trouble but shift movement into that particular gear has increased. I assume its due to the angle of the cable itself.

Driven for 200 or so miles i enjoy the shorter shifts with this block installed. The feel is nice for daily driving and it hasn't given me any issues so far. Only drawback i can find is the higher shift effort required to go to 6th gear. I assume its due to the angle that the shift cable it at while connected to the adapter block but its livable for now. If it gets any stiffer i will more than likely remove it and just go back to stock.

Hope this helps with anyone deciding on getting this STS. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread