Bolt in Sub frames

MongoCobra

Established Member
I know the weld in's are the best, but does anyone make bolt in sub frames for our cars?

It would be great to have carbon fiber ones to save on the weight

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by MongoCobra

Steeda has carbon fiber subs...

Goldy

Established Member
Yes, there are some companies that do offer the bolt-in sub-frame connectors. I cannot remember their names right off, but if you pick up just about any issue of MM&FF (or similar publication), you'll find many of these companies throughout the magazine.

But before purchasing the bolt-in sub-frame connectors though, I'd offer for you to go for a drive in a car with the bolt-in sub-frame connectors if possible; I think you'll find that they really do not offer the same level of stiffness as do the weld-in type. Here's a thought: see if someone close to you has a stock '03 convertible (the stock '03 convertible comes with the bolt-on sub-frame connectors from the factory) and someone else has a mod'd '03 Convertible with the weld-on type. After riding in each, the difference should be very apparant.

Good Luck.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I know the weld in's are the best, but does anyone make bolt in sub frames for our cars?

Waste of time and money. The bolts WILL stretch the holes and come loose. You have to weld them on, or don't do it at all.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
My friend has bolt in Steeda subframe connectors on his 01 and the bolt holes have elongated on their own! His car creaks and now sounds terrible when he goes around sharp turns.

I have Kenny Brown's welded on my 03 and I can tell a HUGE difference when I go into my driveway. The car used to flex and creak when I pull into my driveway. It's now rock solid.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yup, I got KB Super Subs as well - they make a noticeable dufference, and the car is evev more neutral throughout a sweeping curve. Let me explain: the stock car feels neutral going in, but as you approaqch the apex at speed, chassis flex starts to make the car go a bit squirelly, and you need to do small steering corrections. With the subs in place, it dstays neutral throughout - I make this observation after a few hot laps on a closed circuit (Summit Raceway). The diff is less noticeable around town, but over railroad tracks you feel less going on underneath your seat, and the suspension si doing its job. For drags, the subs are also supposed to reduce the tendency of the chassis to twist over many hard launches.

Goldy

Established Member
Looks like this tread has evolved a bit from bolt-in sub-frame connectors. On my '03 Convertible, I've got all the Kenny Brown Performance stiffening goodies: super sub-frame connectors, cross-matrix bracing, jacking rails, lower chassis brace, strut tower brace and rear shock tower brace. I have the same mod's on my '99 converible, less the rear shock tower brace. Both cars are now extremely stiff.

At the SVTOA event in Indy last month, I drove the '99 at IRP with an instructor sitting in the passenger seat. Without knowing what mods I had, the instructor commented on how stiff the car felt for a convertible. After I told him of my mods, he said 'the car actually felt stiffer than the coupes he was in earlier'.

This stuff really works.

MongoCobra

Established Member
thanks for the feedback
I only see two setcabacks now:
1- If I get the weld in's, where should I go to get them installed? How do you know who to trust?
2- what about the added weight?

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
thanks for the feedback
I only see two setcabacks now:
1- If I get the weld in's, where should I go to get them installed? How do you know who to trust?
2- what about the added weight?

I paid a pro welder 50$ to come to my house and weld them in. Remember you want them to be welded in with the car on the suspension and not on the frame.

46stang

Established Member
i got mine from ford.(the ones for a vert) they are inexpensive and bolted right in. they didn't feel that heavy to me? Bolting in aftermarket and bolting in factory is way different! The verts haven't had any issues with bolts holes stretching. The only reason i went this route is because i can take them off if i want. I'm not a roadracer, but the car definately felt stiffer. When i was tightening them up you could here the car creaking back into shape!
That being said, i do feel that welding will give a stiffer feel over bolt in! But bolting in is still better than no subframes at all.
Leon

MongoCobra

Established Member
Have had bolt in subs in my 99 camaro for 3 years, not problems stretching if you torque them down tight enough. I expect to have the same experience

Users who are viewing this thread