Bmw maintenance cost question

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
I've owned a BMW and hated it. Something always goes wrong with them, and even when you do the work yourself the parts are very expensive. I'll never own another

xenodragon

Established Member
BMW has free maintenance (includes fluid changes) up to 50,000 then you can pay 2k to CPO it and maintenance is covered to 100k.

I don't agree with the above statement of something always goes wrong. My 335 was awesome not a single issue. My dads 2004 7 series has about 120k miles on it with only the iDrive have a problem and it was a $400 fix. My friend has an 05 m3 110k miles...only has rust issues because he leaves it dirty for some reason...if you take care of the car it will be fine

Our explorer sport...while I love it has been in the shop more than any BMW I have owned

Last edited:

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
Are all BMW's expensive to maintain or is it really the M models?

Wonder how much this would cost to maintain vs owning a Ford or Chevy
2014 BMW 335i xDrive Gran Turismo Test – Review – Car and Driver
They have a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty/maintenance package on them when new. If you buy a CPO car you get 6 year/100k worth of warranty. You can also buy a maintenance package for a certain time frame/miles for around $2000. We've got an M3, 335i, and a 325i in the family. Read the forums, there are certain issues that plague these cars, and likely affects all of them. In reality, the new BMW is going to cost you less to "maintain" than your new Ford or GM vehicle without free maintenance.

slurrinsteve

Established Member
My 3 series was great, but at 100,000 needed a thermostat ($145) and other odds and ends. It's not unlike any other car, but maintenance is expensive when it's due. If you find a good Indy mechanic then that will help a lot.

KILRSVT

Established Member
. Every model has there pros and cons I have owned an e46 330 and an E39 M5 great cars but I won't own one past 03 ( including 7) just too many issues. I haven't seen too may issues on the N55 engine . Some vanos issues with the cam sprockets breaking and the occasional bad injector or high pressure pump the only thing that blows is that it doesn't come with a locking diff ... You have to buy an M car for that. Good luck on your purchase If you buy it I recommend getting rid of it before the warranty expires. Repairs and maintainance will cost you some serious $$$$

Last edited:

paynecasey

Established Member
What year BMW are you trying to get ... Every model has there pros and cons I have owned an e46 330 and an E39 M5 great cars but I won't own one past 03 ( including 7) just too many issues

Was just a general kicking tires question. I would want a 2004 M3 or any affordable 3 series past 2004.

kaz109

Established Member
I had more problems with my 07 Chevy( which is why I am a GM hater) then I do with my 04 BMW ...my BMW only comes out to be driven HARD and I have had zero problems with it. Yes part for part the cost will be slightly higher for a BMW but I think ppl who talk about how expensive it is aren't DYI kinda ppl

kaz109

Established Member
Never.... repeat NEVER own a BMW out of warranty.

That is all.

Worthless post is worthless...I bought mine out of warranty 5-6 ago and I am positive it has more track time on it then your car. Zero problems with it to date

Poppacapp

Established Member
Worthless post is worthless...I bought mine out of warranty 5-6 ago and I am positive it has more track time on it then your car. Zero problems with it to date

You are an exception to the rule Kaz... no offense, but it is well documented that the BMW's.. and Mercedes Benz cars are hell outside of warranty. They have so much technology in them.. sensors everywhere.... lots of items to mess up.. which they do. I was dead set on purchasing a convertible 650i before I went with a Lexus RX450h... I have always been in love with the 6 series cars. But my research showed too many issues with the convertible top sensors, and other problems with the car in general.

With that said.. BMW is a nice car to own while under warranty, although I have heard stories of owners having their car at the dealers more than at home. Especially with the 335 series fuel pump problems.

Poppacapp

Established Member
As a side note, my brother purchased last year a 2004 Mercedes E320 for his wife as a surprise. I wish he had talked to me before purchasing. I told him he will regret it and will have problems... lo and behold.. not 6 months later, the car started to have electrical gremlins, and he got tired of them, and got rid of the car. Waste of money. Too many things can go wrong on those cars.

kaz109

Established Member
You are an exception to the rule Kaz... no offense, but it is well documented that the BMW's.. and Mercedes Benz cars are hell outside of warranty. They have so much technology in them.. sensors everywhere.... lots of items to mess up.. which they do. I was dead set on purchasing a convertible 650i before I went with a Lexus RX450h... I have always been in love with the 6 series cars. But my research showed too many issues with the convertible top sensors, and other problems with the car in general.

With that said.. BMW is a nice car to own while under warranty, although I have heard stories of owners having their car at the dealers more than at home. Especially with the 335 series fuel pump problems.

I wouldn't have made that post but your "never ever" comment was not accurate. Blues make and I always laugh at these threads because ppl act like you can't work on these cars or they cost 1 million dollars for parts or can't be driven without falling apart and that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I have two euros and they have been problem free, I had one Chevy and I will NEVER EVER go back.....ever . Fords and dosages have been good to me as well lol

Poppacapp

Established Member
I wouldn't have made that post but your "never ever" comment was not accurate. Blues make and I always laugh at these threads because ppl act like you can't work on these cars or they cost 1 million dollars for parts or can't be driven without falling apart and that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I have two euros and they have been problem free, I had one Chevy and I will NEVER EVER go back.....ever . Fords and dosages have been good to me as well lol

Its just my opinion. I used to do all of my own work on my cars, but the back is not as good as it used to be, etc....so I generally have the cars serviced at the dealership. Which out of warranty, can be outrageous.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
My friend has a 3 series with around 50k miles and it's gone to the shop numerous times. Dem turbo issues.

He loves the car but he says there's a reason people say BMW = breaking my wallet

kaz109

Established Member
My friend has a 3 series with around 50k miles and it's gone to the shop numerous times. Dem turbo issues.

He loves the car but he says there's a reason people say BMW = breaking my wallet

70k miles and hasn't seen a shop yet with about 20k of those miles being track miles....3.2L NA motor FTW!!!!!!!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread