blownoutsparkplug.com

THEWOODKING

if you guys ever have any problems with blowin out plugs i would highly reccomend this guy....check out his website..

ALWAYS TORQUE YOUR PLUGS TO 32 FT/LBS

and he said u wont blow out plugs

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
too much

That sounds like a bit much to me. :dw:

I would never torque plugs in an aluminum head to 32ft lbs.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
yeah, they won't blow out, they'll only strip the hole so badly that you'll need to put in a timesert anyway.

THEWOODKING

this guy has been a ford tech for over 25 years and has tested the 32 ft/lbs on several heads, he said that they would strip out at around 100.....this is what he told me and he specializes in this spark plug thing .........check out his website

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
hmm

No offense dude but that's like 3X the Ford torque spec for the plugs on our cars. :rolleyes: (Spec is 11ft lb) You do whatever you want but when I changed mine I did them all to spec and never had a problem.

I did re-check them every oil change with a torque wrench though just because I'm that guy. :D

Do what you like, but just remember aluminum is not very forgiving on overtightening.

Also (to clairify) he's had a 100% sucess rate on what? Flying all over the U.S. tightening peoples plugs to 32 ft lbs or putting in time-serts?

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
this guy has been a ford tech for over 25 years and has tested the 32 ft/lbs on several heads, he said that they would strip out at around 100.....this is what he told me and he specializes in this spark plug thing .........check out his website

Id rather trust a hooker with my wallet on payday than many ford techs with my car.

100lb ft is more than I tighten my LUGNUTS to.

In fact, I have a cylinder head with one blown out plug hole.

Maybe I should try to torque a plug to 100lb ft and see what happens.

I have never torqued a plug in my life and just use a 3/8ths ratchet and feel it.

Never had a plug ever be loose or eject.

THEWOODKING

im just passing along what this guy told me, he has been doing this little spark plug project for over 10 years so i thought he would know his shit

01vert

Established Member
Considering alot of smaller fasteners into aluminum on harleys go by inch pounds, I would be cautous about 32 ft lbs, the threads are only 4 and aluminum is unforgiving. If this guy is talking about being a ford tech and "flying around" for tightening spark plugs, I myself would run quickly from his advice.

Aluminum is totally unforgiving about high torques, and 100 ft lbs is almost guaranteed to strip a plug hole, no way is that gonna work.

That and about ford techs, we have one here who some consider to total asshat so dunno about that pedigree

HOLY CRAP!!! This guy wants $800 to repair 2 sets of threads! Jesus! (Oh and expenses to travel) Look on this board, many here have gotten fixes with timeserts for a ton less

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread