Blown Plugs ... the Ford Cure w/TSB Info (Out of Warranty - OK)

I'D WIN

Established Member
Not sure if this is old for you guys but it just showed up in some of our local Ford publications...

FYI~

TSB 07-15-2

5.4L 2V AND 6.8L 2V MODULAR ENGINE SPARK PLUG THREAD OUT OF WARRANTY REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR ALUMINUM HEADS

FORD: 1997-2000 F-250 Light Duty
1997-2003 F-150
1997-2004 Expedition
1997-2007 E-Series
1998-2004 F-53 Motorhome Chassis, F-Super Duty
2001-2005 Excursion
LINCOLN: 1998-1999 Navigator

ISSUE:
Various 1997-2007 vehicles with a 5.4L 2V, or 6.8L 2V engine with stripped or missing spark plug port threads in modular engine aluminum heads. Ford Motor Company now authorizes LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum inserts and tool kit.

ACTION:
Follow the procedure included in the tool kit for using the tools and inserts. Tool kits and inserts can be ordered from Rotunda by calling 1-800-Rotunda (768-8632). Choose option two (2), number 302-00001.

NOTE: FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS DETERMINED THAT REPAIRS MADE WITH THESE ALUMINUM INSERTS AND LOCK-N-STITCH TOOLS DO NOT AFFECT THE HEAT TRANSFER FUNCTION BETWEEN THE SPARK PLUG AND THE CYLINDER HEAD.

NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS AND IS THE ONLY FORD AUTHORIZED PROCEDURE FOR SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIRS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only - Not Warrantable

Last edited:

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Im a Cast Iron repair tech/Welder for Lock-N-Stitch, and Ive posted about Ford doing the dyno testing on our inserts a while back, they finally approved, and released the TSB for them. Youll see another TSB soon for Ford authorizing the use of them on all 4.6s as well.

Ford spent alot of money and did a ton of dyno testing, measuring spark plug tip temps with our aluminum inserts, compared to other inserts.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Last edited:

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
So are they going to cover the cost of installing the Insert's,or does it mean that's how they want the Dealer's to fix them and you pay?

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
The TSB lists vehicle’s all the way to 2007. I was thinking ford put extra threads in about everything from 2003 on up?

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
it says at the bottom...NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS AND IS THE ONLY FORD AUTHORIZED PROCEDURE FOR SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIRS

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
JedWele said:
The TSB lists vehicle’s all the way to 2007. I was thinking ford put extra threads in about everything from 2003 on up?

They can still spit out a plug. It doesn't matter how many threads there are if it comes loose.

If the engine is still under base or extended warranty they will pay to put on a new head.

I'D WIN

Established Member
bgstew6 said:
it says at the bottom...NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS AND IS THE ONLY FORD AUTHORIZED PROCEDURE FOR SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIRS

Exactly ... The TSB is not to be used for warranty repairs. A Ford service writer can not bill the repair under the TSB issued.

The TSB title itself is self-explanatory~

5.4L 2V AND 6.8L 2V MODULAR ENGINE SPARK PLUG THREAD OUT OF WARRANTY REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR ALUMINUM HEADS

Ford is authorized to the fix the issue when under warranty using a different charge code (NOT this particular TSB).

FordFanStan

Established Member
And since they only came out with this now, wouldn't it be nice if they refunded all the money spent on repairs for Ford vehicles by customers to solve these problems in the past :bash: ... Stan

I'D WIN

Established Member
I called FMC yesterday and just confirmed that this TSB DOES cover out-of-warranty vehicles as originally stated. All labor and parts are included.

Users who are viewing this thread