Blown Head Gasket?

Gruca

Established Member
I’ve been having issues with my coolant being low lately and I cannot find a leak anywhere. I just emptied my Bobs oil separator and the oil has swirls of milky stuff in it.

So I’m curious if the oil separators could cause the pressure and blow a head gasket or if it could be internal engine damage that just hasn’t gotten to the point of tossing a rod of spinning a bearing or some shit.

Gruca

Established Member
Here is what the tail pipes are spewing. It’s about 48-50 degrees and sunny right now in Chicago.

Zemedici

Established Member
Done a compression test? No leaks anywhere at all? Could be nicked line, drop from water pump, etc etc

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
The fact you have coolant in your separators should be a huge concern. Start with a compression test and go from there. From the sound of it you may be doing a rebuild soon, hopefully it's something simple. Fingers crossed for you

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Gruca

Established Member
The fact you have coolant in your separators should be a huge concern. Start with a compression test and go from there. From the sound of it you may be doing a rebuild soon, hopefully it's something simple. Fingers crossed for you

I have read about how, in cold weather, the oil separators tend to condensate on the inside causing milky oil. Changing the oil and seeing nothing was positive, but then I can’t explain the missing coolant in the tank, other than a leak I can’t find. Then there’s the tail pipe smoke that I can’t tell if it’s because of the cold. It’s really a giant pain trying to figure it out because of all the different variables that don’t really make sense together.

The leak down check should help clear it up.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Get a block test kit, or have it done. The fluid detects exhaust gasses in the coolant.

basspro302

Established Member
A milky residue in the catch can is pretty normal, i have also seen it a lot on oil fill caps. Its normal if you do a lot of short trip driving. Its from the engine cooling down and water from the air condensing on the inside of the block. Then the engine oil does not get up to temp to burn it out.

If you change the oil and its milky you have a problem.

But a pressure teaster ive had the radiator hose leak under a certain position with the new quick connection o ring causing the leak.

If its leaking inti the cylinder under boost do a full throttle hit shut it down right after you let off and check the plugs. You can also do a cylinder leak dow test and see if you can hear/see bubbles innthe cooling ststem resivoir

Gruca

Established Member
D96BF4B0-33D9-4F5B-8600-F80CCCEFE61C.jpeg

Gruca

Established Member
Bank 1, Bank 2, all plugs, or just a single one? From the looks of that one I'll still say I think you have some big issues going on. Fingers crossed for you brotha!!

I haven’t checked them all yet. I pulled two and they both looked like this (drivers side).

nxhappy

Established Member
if you have a BHG, 3 main things will show: milky oil, a shit load of white sweet smelling exhaust, and low compression. Run a compression test, that will tell the story.

MG0h3

Established Member
^^generally but you can have a small amount of coolant getting into the cylinder and not into the oil. The plug may have some whiteish/greenish crust or crud built up. A head gasket won't always leak into the oil and the cylinder; it can do one or the other independently.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Gruca, I will pull my plugs later this week I hope and send a pic to compare. I just have to finish a valve cover gasket on my other car (08 bmw 528i)... what a pain in the ass that is...

Gruca

Established Member
Gruca, I will pull my plugs later this week I hope and send a pic to compare. I just have to finish a valve cover gasket on my other car (08 bmw 528i)... what a pain in the ass that is...

Thank you sir, that would be helpful for comparison purposes.

Gruca

Established Member
Another thought I had was if crankcase pressure from the Paxton and oil separators could cause oil to get by the valve cover gaskets and on to the plugs.

I need to get the compression and leak down test done still, but I'm still hopefully its not internal engine. The car runs fine, no oil consumption. The plugs still make me nervous though since they're all black and wet. I'm hoping it's just from crankcase pressure.

Edit: Never mind the valve cover gasket as I'm pretty sure that wouldn't let oil down under the plug where the spark is... :oops:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread