Blown BBK cats, need replacement

gmaine

Established Member
Hey guys, it only took me 500 miles to blow out one or two cats on my BBK LT shorty H w/cats setup. I can get them replaced under warranty but would rather find something better that can withstand repeated pulls to the redline.
Any suggestions? Anybody else had this problem. Maybe I should just go O/R except I will need to pass emissions this year.

USMCracing

Established Member
I had the same thing happen to on my BBK shorty H. If I were you I'd have BBK send me a new one and sell it and get the shorty OR X-pipe. Since I got my BBK H-pipe frm Brothers as a factory defect (one cat didn't have a heat shield) BBK or Brothers would refund/replace the Pipe. So I just took a long screw driver and broke the cats up. So I have OR H-pipe that looks like it has CATS. I've been told that it doesn't hurt performance but I'm going to go with the OR X-pipe when I get the cash. I thought that since my pipe was a defect that was why the cat broke up, but now that I hear that its happening to others I don't know. Good Luck

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
Punch the cats out for now. When emmisions time rolls around, have a have a set of dynomax cats welded in. I've heard the BBK cats won't pass emissions anyway, well at least in MD.

USMCracing

Established Member
They will rattle around and make you think that your tran messed up. My pass. side cat started rattling and after a week it broke up and cloged the pass side exhaust. So you'll know when you CAT(S) mess up.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
When they rattle around is it all of the time or just at certain rpm's. I notice that sometimes when I go WOT I get a Rattling sound for just a few seconds, and then it goes away. Other than that my exhaust souds fine.

USMCracing

Established Member
Mine did it all the time. But I'm sure it depends on how the cat broke up. Yours my may just be alittle lose. The cat will rattle and end up getting smaller and then it will clog up your exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread