blowers and built motors

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
I am considering selling my car this summer for an 03. The other option is to keep it and use the $4000 on my car now. Already I have committed about 900 to fix it up to perfect condition (brakes, a bushing or two, clutch linkage, etc.)

Now I have wanted to get boosted for a while and have come to a decision that must be made. CAN MY STOCK ENGINE HOLD 6LBS OF BOOST FROM A KENNE BELL?? YES OR NO

If not i have thought about building it up and trying to get some nice N/A numbers (330-350rwhp). Any suggestions?

One last question...if I try to build the engine to handle boost, how much would the actual rebuild cost, aside from the rotating assembly?

for reference, my mods are: 4.10's, Flowmaster 2-chambered mufflers, POS densecharger, underdrive pullies, Aluminum Driveshaft, tri-ax shifter, King cobra clutch, and a whole lotta suspension

thanks

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Yes, your engine can handle 6 psi with no problems.

As far as how much it should cost for a build up, that's all up to you. Depends on how much money you want to put into it. You can build a basic forged engine for about $4000 including labor or you can build a full race ready motor for about $10k. It's all up to what you want to handle.

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
thanks for the reply...

This is a daily driver and i dont want to get stranded with a thrown rod or something.

anyone else have an opinion on the matter? can a stock engine hold 6psi safely with a tune?

Bri'sMystic965

Established Member
Most likely you will be OK with only six pounds and a conservative tune; however, anything is possible in the blown world. I broke three ring lands after only 1,200 miles with the six pounds my Vortech was making. Just be prepared, especially since the car is your daily driver. Rebuilds are not only expensive, but down time is usually considerable. I was fortunate to borrow a company vehicle for the two months I was down.

Not trying to scare you or anything, just pointing out some of the possible pitfalls of going the blower route. Would I have done it all over again? Definitely.

The 03's are very nice and I was contemplating this route too (prior to installing the blower). Although I think about the "what ifs" sometimes, I don't think I could stomach another sixty car payments (as my 96 was paid off).

Good luck on your decision. :)
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread