Blow through and Draw through enlighten me

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
Alright guys I get the gist of blow through and draw through set ups looking over other threads on here, but don't completely understand it all. I currently have a SCT 2400 MAF on the car. I now have a Vortech on the car with a A/A intercooler and a BPV. So would I need a mafia in order for this 2400 to work correct??? Or could I just by the VMP blow through MAF and be done with it??? Correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks for any answers.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So blow thru is when the bypass or blow off valve is after the Supercharger but before the MAF so when you shift you are blowing off unmetered air.. Draw thru is like how a standard vortech system works.. It meters the air then goes through the blower then the bypass valve the bypasses already metered air back into the into for the supercharger..

The reason why the SCT will peg is because blow through meters a lot more air if I remember correct.. That's why they have blow thru mafs and draw thru mafs. If I were you I would sell the SCT and get VMP stuff. :beer:

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
So blow thru is when the bypass or blow off valve is after the Supercharger but before the MAF so when you shift you are blowing off unmetered air.. Draw thru is like how a standard vortech system works.. It meters the air then goes through the blower then the bypass valve the bypasses already metered air back into the into for the supercharger..

The reason why the SCT will peg is because blow through meters a lot more air if I remember correct.. That's why they have blow thru mafs and draw thru mafs. If I were you I would sell the SCT and get VMP stuff. :beer:

good explanation. thank you :beer:, but where does the MAF go on a FMIC set up and vortech???

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well the maf will go after the blow off valve preferable on a straight piece of pipe that is straight 4'' prior to the Maf and 4'' after I think. Here is a pic of my buddys car.. You can see the slot maf before the throttle body.. The blow off valve is on the first bend right before the FMIC.

Ca-Mustangs.com forums

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
I am not on the site so it won't allow me to look at the picture.. MY blow off valve is in first bend as well...my piping is only 3" and the 75mm hpx maf is only 3" as well, but i just thought since its slot style that will make the piping fit a little differently.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I think that you can use couplers I could be wrong though.. Give me a second to save that pic and load up on here for you.. Also I hear that you don't want the bypass on a bend I could be wrong though. I don't see how it matters but just saying.. Most people put it on the straight pipe after the blower.. gimmie a second.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Mikesengine.gif

Also his piping is 3''.. You can use the VMP pipe or have it welded into the current piping like my buddy did..

Iso

Sounds fast
Established Member
If you are doing blow through (I recommend it) then you want the meter in the straightest area of piping you have, after the blowoff. On my setup it goes

air filter>blower>blowoff>intercooler>mass air>throttle body

Simplified, but it gives a good idea of where everything goes as far as piping. The slot meter comes with a housing that you can just use couplers to attach it like any other piece of pipe.

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
I think that you can use couplers I could be wrong though.. Give me a second to save that pic and load up on here for you.. Also I hear that you don't want the bypass on a bend I could be wrong though. I don't see how it matters but just saying.. Most people put it on the straight pipe after the blower.. gimmie a second.

Alright thank you

Mikesengine.gif

Also his piping is 3''.. You can use the VMP pipe or have it welded into the current piping like my buddy did..

Ahh I got ya now I thought that was how it went, but just wanting to make sure before i pull the trigger on the new MAF etc. Just bought the VMP hpx with maf sensor....400 bucks, but seems to be worth it and people like blow through set ups with vortechs better it SEEMS to be.

If you are doing blow through (I recommend it) then you want the meter in the straightest area of piping you have, after the blowoff. On my setup it goes

air filter>blower>blowoff>intercooler>mass air>throttle body

Simplified, but it gives a good idea of where everything goes as far as piping. The slot meter comes with a housing that you can just use couplers to attach it like any other piece of pipe.

Yup perfect example. thank you all makes sense now. so you like the blow through over the draw through as well? hows drive ability with it?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea blow through is a good setup.. As of right now I'm draw through with an aftercooler and my setup is very very good. It's highly modified though to work flawlessly. I have zero maf wash and the vortech mondo has zero issues bypass 17psi.. Also I think I remember seeing you have a Vortech mini race valve.. You are going to want to upgrade that if you are pushing over 12 psi..

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
Yea blow through is a good setup.. As of right now I'm draw through with an aftercooler and my setup is very very good. It's highly modified though to work flawlessly. I have zero maf wash and the vortech mondo has zero issues bypass 17psi.. Also I think I remember seeing you have a Vortech mini race valve.. You are going to want to upgrade that if you are pushing over 12 psi..

Hmmm I thought I did, but actually went back and looked it's the Maxflow Racing Bypass Valve..not the mini race

Never had drawthrough, but I love the blowthrough, my cobra drives better than stock.

Good to hear thanks for the heads up and help

1996MysticSnake

Established Member

This is not true there are many people running the 2400 with Mafia to over 700hp in a blow through setup. Nobody in here would even be able to answer your question until you tell us the size tubing you are running, are you keeping the maf in the stock housing or are you going to weld it into the tube with an adapter, how much power do you plan on making?

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
This is not true there are many people running the 2400 with Mafia to over 700hp in a blow through setup. Nobody in here would even be able to answer your question until you tell us the size tubing you are running, are you keeping the maf in the stock housing or are you going to weld it into the tube with an adapter, how much power do you plan on making?

What size tubing? If your talking about the piping its 3" which I said earlier. Yes I would have kept it in the stock housing not welding it in or anything...and i plan on making around 550rwhp.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member

Thats why i said I think.. That's also why I said he's need a MAFIA if he were to keep the 2400..

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
If you are keeping it in the stock housing and not putting it in the 3" tubing you will probably be able to get away with using it but dont hold me to that. With a mafia you will not doubt be able to use it but i think you might be able to avoid going that route. Honestly you need to talk to your tuner because he will give you a better idea since he has hopefully been through this many times.

The 2400 can defiently take that power level in the stock housing though. If you were putting it in the 3" tubing you might reduce the range too much for it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread