Blockbuster and Netflix

03DOHC

Established Member
So I was bored because there was nothing on TV when I saw a free 2 week trial thing for Blockbuster DVD thru the mail. I have been meaning to sign up for Netflix for years but just never got around to it, anyway, I compared the two plans and the prices are the same so I decided to try the Blockbuster one. I should have done this a lot sooner, LOL.

I just watched 'Knowing' with Nicolas Cage. Damn airplane scared the crap out of me with my surround sound. And I have the Watchmen coming next.

I've been returning the movies to the Blockbuster down the street and getting a new movie in 2 days. How long does Netflix usually take to send a movie?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I've been returning the movies to the Blockbuster down the street and getting a new movie in 2 days. How long does Netflix usually take to send a movie?
Netflix has more distribution hubs than Blockbuster. Depending on your location as it relates to one of their hubs will determine shipping/arrival time. I'm only 100 miles from the nearest hub so my Netflix rentals take only a single day to get to the facility, another day to process the return and then ship out the replacement. If I catch the delivery trucks just right I can mail in a movie on Monday and have the replacement as early as Wednesday.

Blockbuster seems to have a larger physical quantity of new releases available when compared to Netflix though. I've had many new releases sit at the top of my Netflix queue for 3+ weeks whereas with Blockbuster they usually shipped the new release out in under than 7 days.

It's six of one and half-a-dozen of the other if you ask me... with the prices being so close and the ability to return Blockbuster online rentals to a local store it all boils down to how close you are to one of the major distribution hubs. For me it was Netflix which was closer and provided the quicker turn around times.

U.M.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
I don't know where the movies are coming from but the return envelope says San Jose on it. That's fairly close to me.

Netflix also has a 2 week free trial. I'll see how this plays out for now.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
IMO blockbuster is a better deal beacuse after you watch the movie return it to the store and get another one. by the time you finish watching that one usually another is in the mail.

Netflix has strem movies but when i had it there wasnt anything i wanted to watch instantly online.

oh, knowing was a great movie untill the ending came

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Netflix will try to screw you if your movie turnaround is too fast. Blockbuster does not.

I cannot for the life of me decide if this is true or not.

80% of the time I have great luck with getting new movies with Netflix.

Lately I've sent back a movie without it being recieved by them and they shipped a replacement disc for a broken one and I never got it.

So normally I always have 1 DVD still here always out of 3 and I haven't recieved a new DVD since last wednesday. I also haven't gotten any shipping notifications from them either.

They are on the last leg and I've used netflix for awhile now.

GodStang

Established Member
Blockbuster has late fees and people who return the movie a week late are getting hit with $50-$100 fines. I have heard too many complaints from them. Netflix I have kept a movie for a month forgetting about it and never got charged a late fee. Plus online streaming and I have never had to have a movie so bad I could not wait the 3 days.

Read up
Consumer complaints about Blockbuster Late Fees

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
netflix>ballbuster

1 day service plus streaming videos (unlimited) for 9 bucks. if BB tried to build their infrastructure to compete with NF they would go broke

KingJay

!!!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Blockbuster has late fees and people who return the movie a week late are getting hit with $50-$100 fines. I have heard too many complaints from them. Netflix I have kept a movie for a month forgetting about it and never got charged a late fee. Plus online streaming and I have never had to have a movie so bad I could not wait the 3 days.

Read up
Consumer complaints about Blockbuster Late Fees

Really? I kept a movie for over a week and was never hit with a late fee. :poke:

I rent nothing but bluray movies and it only takes a day for them to get here. No problems with Blockbuster over here.

Last edited:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I started using Netflix in 2000 and signed up for the 4 at a time plan, which is now billed at the 3 at a time rate.

Rarely have I waited for what ever was next in my queue, I send movies back on Monday and have the replacements back on Wednesday.

I have never used the streaming feature, but my Son uses the crap out of it, he has an Xbox 360 and HD TV in his bedroom, you can actually select and play the movies right from the Xbox.

I hate Blockbuster and moved to Nextflix because of the late fees I was paying them... it was a no-brainer, the Neflix subscription was less than I was paying in late fees.

The also have a settop box that will allow you to stream movies over the net to your TV.

-Brian

10thcoupe

Banned
does anyone elses video quality suck ass on xbox? i have my 360 set up hdmi thru mt 40" samsung lcd and it looks like crap. my bluerays are crystal clear

GodStang

Established Member
Really? I kept a movie for over a week and was never hit with a late fee. :poke:

I rent nothing but bluray movies and it only takes a day for them to get here. No problems with Blockbuster over here.

Not keeping it a week but keeping it a week past its due date. So if you can keep a movie for two weeks and you kept it for 3 weeks that would be a week past due. Netflix does not have this.

KingJay

!!!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Not keeping it a week but keeping it a week past its due date. So if you can keep a movie for two weeks and you kept it for 3 weeks that would be a week past due. Netflix does not have this.

There is no due date ever when I get a movie. I return it whenever I'm finished with it. So how would it ever be past due without a due date?

darkhorse276

Established Member
netflix owns in my opinion. ive never had to wait for a movie, and i use the streaming alot, especially since i dont have cable.

every episode of voltron ftw lol.

GodStang

Established Member
There is no due date ever when I get a movie. I return it whenever I'm finished with it. So how would it ever be past due without a due date?

You may want to check again. Google "Blockbuster Late Fees" there are many people pissed off about it since they where never told of the late fees. Its even on their terms and conditions on the blockbuster website.

ralvarez

Established Member
netflix streaming ftw!

i add it to my queue, fire up the xbox and hit play...no waiting times :D

that's exactly what i do, i have 6 movies on my playlist and when i make time to watch them i put on my xbox. i like the fact that you can stream movies to your xbox but if theirs a movie that has to be sent out, i just get my fat ass to the blockbuster that's 10 minutes away instead of waiting 1-3 days to get here!

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
if you did the 2 week thing your gonna get a membership, almost guaranteed lol. i did it and winded up getting the $18.99 3 at a time unlimited thing. works out in the end cause we spent a lot of moolah on demand and renting from blockbuster. suited us and it only takes a few days. besides no late fees if you forget to return em. we love it,,,

KingJay

!!!!!!!!!!
Established Member
You may want to check again. Google "Blockbuster Late Fees" there are many people pissed off about it since they where never told of the late fees. Its even on their terms and conditions on the blockbuster website.

There are no late fees when you use Blockbuster online service. If you only rent in store there is a due date/late fee. Get it right. :kaboom:

Check again.

Users who are viewing this thread