BLinking CEL under load

ILW84U

Established Member
Maybe I’m not familiar enough with the car. I would think if I’m traveling at 60 in top gear and the car starts to go up a hill or something it should be able to do that without a problem
It's no fun driving 60 in 6th gear. Use 5th. It even sounds much better!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If the factory tune did this, there is something mechanical, bad fuel, etc. A factory tune would not do this. I wouldn’t expect an aftermarket tune to fix it either…
If he was running a factory tune with ID1300's I think we found the issue. It might be as simple as having fouled plugs.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Maybe I’m not familiar enough with the car. I would think if I’m traveling at 60 in top gear and the car starts to go up a hill or something it should be able to do that without a problem
60 mph in 6th gear with stock gears up a hill. What is that rpm--1000? Drop a gear, maybe two, and get it in an rpm range where you aren't lugging the motor.

Tom

bfoos59

Established Member
Have found part of the problem. Along with the blinking CEL it also throws cylinder one and four misfires. Stated previously, I replaced the plugs, did a new tune, swapped injectors and coil packs. Yesterday did a compression test. Cylinders 5-8, 115,115,120,115. cylinders 1-4, 70,60,60,70. :(
don’t think it’s a head gasket, due to all being bad. Gonna do a leak down test, and look at the timing gears and chains. Mechanic friend thinks maybe the bank one chain / gears maybe have jumped a tooth.

MG0h3

Established Member
Well glad you’re figuring it out. Sucks that you’ve got a mechanical problem.

I’d like to reiterate that placing an engine under heavy load doesn’t cause a misfire.

It just helps reveal it.

Good job staying after it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Have found part of the problem. Along with the blinking CEL it also throws cylinder one and four misfires. Stated previously, I replaced the plugs, did a new tune, swapped injectors and coil packs. Yesterday did a compression test. Cylinders 5-8, 115,115,120,115. cylinders 1-4, 70,60,60,70. :(
don’t think it’s a head gasket, due to all being bad. Gonna do a leak down test, and look at the timing gears and chains. Mechanic friend thinks maybe the bank one chain / gears maybe have jumped a tooth.

Head gasket would most likely be revealed by a nice oil pan full of choccy milk.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree a head gasket seems highly unlikely with the whole bank being off but a bad head gasket doesn't always put coolant in the oil. I've seen it only put oil in the coolant or in the case of my lightning it was neither - it was dripping water between the block and head, running out over the oil filter housing

bfoos59

Established Member
Next week--hopefully--taking it to shop where they will pull the timing chain cover and look at the timing chains and gears. If all OK they may also do a leak down test on the left bank cylinders, and look at the cylinder walls with a bore scope. Gonna cost a fortune, but I'm the one who bought it, and believed the previous owner. So I'm stuck with it and have to fix it...

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Next week--hopefully--taking it to shop where they will pull the timing chain cover and look at the timing chains and gears. If all OK they may also do a leak down test on the left bank cylinders, and look at the cylinder walls with a bore scope. Gonna cost a fortune, but I'm the one who bought it, and believed the previous owner. So I'm stuck with it and have to fix it...

I don’t know if I missed it, but did you say how many miles were on this thing?

bfoos59

Established Member
I don’t know if I missed it, but did you say how many miles were on this thing?
may have found the problem. The timing chain tensioner on the bad side was stuck, and the chain jumped a sprocket, knocking the timing off. I’m replacing all the chains, tensioners and gears. — but will be a couple of weeks before they get here. Then will do another compression test and go from there.

bfoos59

Established Member
Timing chains access. Not an easy job!

Attachments

• IMG_3452.jpeg
    IMG_3452.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 54

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'd do a leakdown before putting all that back on. I know on the 4.6 if the timing jumps there's a pretty good chance of valve damage.

Why did they pull the driveshaft?

bfoos59

Established Member
I'd do a leakdown before putting all that back on. I know on the 4.6 if the timing jumps there's a pretty good chance of valve damage.

Why did they pull the driveshaft?
Sorry, I didn’t explain everything. Was the plan to also replace the clutch since it didn’t feel right. Found both the clutch and flywheel were toastedl

Attachments

• IMG_3454.jpeg
    IMG_3454.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3453.jpeg
    IMG_3453.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread