Blackstone Oil Analysis Question

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I have ordered the kit from Blackstone to send in my engine oil for analysis on the Mach 1 I recently picked up.

I am going to have the car at a shop soon for some work and while it is there I am going to have them bore scope it, compression test, and leak down.

What all can the oil analysis tell me before the car goes in the shop?

Will it give me a clue into the rings possibly not seating properly by bad break in or over fueling?

Will it let me know if I should be concerned about low compression? Head gasket leak? Bearing failure possible?

I am about to throw about )10k in parts at the car and would like to know whether I should worry about having to build an engine.

“At least I didn’t get tased for not wearing a seatbelt.” - George Floyd

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Primarily wear metals, but oil analysis is more useful as a trending tool over time. A single analysis will really only show something crazy wrong like coolant or very high metal content.

MFE

Established Member
If the oil has very recently been changed, it won't show you much. If it's got some time on it, you'll see if the levels of aluminum, lead, iron and a bunch of other stuff are out of line with norms. But as stated, it's much more useful as a trending tool.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You'll also be able to see fuel dilution. Reading your spark plugs will tell you more about the rings and seals.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Our sons have E46 M3s and we have been doing this for a while. This is the way to tell about crank bearing wear, which these cars are known for. We have done a few of them, and now are watching the trends.

Users who are viewing this thread