Black spots on convertable top

dccobra99

Established Member
I have these black spots on my convertable top ranging in size from a pin head to about a quarter inch diam. The part with the glass is just covered with it. I have tried different auto motive soaps and have had the top replaced once but it keeps comming back. Anyone know what this might be? I know it's hard to tell without photos sorry. Or does anyone know a product that I can use that will get the stuff off and keep it off.
Thank You

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
what color is the top? the only way I could get my white top clean was paint Thinner, used very carefully.

I had the black spots also, think it is from the roads (oils)

If you want to do the Paint thinner let me know, you have to be real careful with it, but it will make the top look brand new

dccobra99

Established Member
I have a tan top. I thought it was some type of fungus or something I swear it seems like it was growing lol. Thanks for the offer please tell me how you did it with the paint thinner.
Thanks

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
well this is what you do, I used Laquer thinner, cause that was all I had. Try some less volatile types 1st like common hardware store mineral spirits. Also get yourself a good convertible top sealer, you'll want to seal it when you're done.

Test it on a small area under the back window where the full top covers the window panel canvas, at the bottom out of sight so if you lose the color no one will see it (my top was white, so everything worked fine for me) you may have to raise the top slightly to get in there.

Get a old t-shirt, and wet it with the thinner, it doesn't have to be soaked.
Rub the top just like you are applying wax not real hard, just take your time, you'll see the dirt come right up.
Now get another rag and buff the area and make sure it is dry.
that's it, but caution.

Do not put the thinner can on the roof, I know it is tempting but DON't do it cause it will fall (I know).
This takes time just wet the rag and clean 1 small area at a time, if you use too much thinner it will mess up the top. Vinyl does not react well with thinners if you use too much it will dissolve it.
Seal the top when you're done, I don't know what is available now but get something good.

I did it to my car a few times the top was on the car for 15 years till i sold it. It was a 73 mustang convertible, the material for the top was a vinyl coated canvas, when I was done cleaning it, it was tacky but fine. This is something you do maybe once a year after the winter crap is off the roads.

Just try a small hidden area 1st to see how it works and take your time. i think it took me all afternoon to clean my top, but it was the only thing that worked. i got the idea from a car detailer years ago.

Let me know how it works.

Last edited:

notoriousdad

Established Member
dccobra99 said:
Thanks I'm going to try that out this weekend will let you know how it went.

I HAVE A 93 GT WITH A WHITE CONV TOP. IT GETS THESE BLACK SPOTS ON IT ALL THE TIME, LIKE IT DIRTIES ITSELF PUTTING IT UP AND DOWN. I TRIED EVERYTHING FOR A WHILE, EVEN COMET, BUT NOTHING WORKED!

NOW, MY TOP'S VINYL, SO.....

I FINALLY USED SOME 'GOOF-OFF'; IT GOT THEM OFF, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL AS ITS A PETROLEUM DISTILLATE. I'VE ALSO SCRUBBED IT WITH 'SOFT-SCRUB' WITH BLEACH; ITS GOOD BUT CAN LEAVE WHITE POWDERED RESIDUE UNDER YOUR WINDOW SILLS.

NOW I SCRUB IT WITH A, I THINK, 'BLUE MAGIC' CONVERTIBLE TOP CLEANER (FROM AUTOZONE) AND HAVE PURCHASED SOME VINYL CLEANERS FROM GRIOTSGARAGE.COM, AS THEY ARE USER FRIENDLY GREAT PRODUCTS.

AFTER I CLEAN IT GOOD, I PUT PURE SILICONE ON IT - A FRIEND OF MINE OWNS A TOP-SHOP; THAT SEEMS TO KEEP IT PRETTY CLEAN AND SHINY - DON'Y USE ALOT THOUGH, IT GETS ON THE CAR, IF YOU DO, AFTER A HARD RAIN. EXCEPT MINE NEVER GETS ANY RAIN ANYMORE.

IF YOUR'S IS A CLOTH TOP, PLEASE DISREGARD. :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread