Black Gold's 700 RWHP Quest

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, as some of you know I recently removed my Eaton and a few other items for powder coating. I just wanted to improve the overall looks of my engine bay. Well, some of you had said this is the perfect time to do some performance upgrades.

So, I started to do some research and as another member on this site stated (Slo984now) I have decided to go down the rabbit hole.

Therefore, I would like everyone's thoughts on what they think I need to get to 700 RWHP on e85 (Yes, I'm going to convert to corn LOL).

Here is my list so far based on researching this site:

RED = Plan on buying/in the midst of purchasing
BLUE = Already on the car

Induction:
Supercharger: Whipple 2.3 Gen II with ported stock style intake plenum
TB: BBK twin 62MM ported to match intake plenum
Upper Pulley: ????

Lower Pulley: Metco 4 lb
MAF: ????

CAI: JLT
Pulleys: Inner Metco single bearing; Outer LFP Double roller bearings

Fuel (Return style):
Fore Hat: -10 Feed and -8 Return
Dual in tank Walbro 465 fuel pumps to support e85
Fuel Pressure regulator: ????

Fuel rails: ????
Fuel injectors: 80lb

Clutch:
McLeod RST twin disk
26 spline input shaft

Exhaust:
Stock headers
BBK off road H pipe
Magnaflow cat back

Rear end:
Stock IRS with stock shafts

Brakes:
Roush 14 inch slotted Alcons up front
Factory discs out back
All with Hawk pads

Besides getting this tuned is there anything else you think I'll need or do you have any other suggestion or ideas on the route I'm taking? Thanks for your time.

Lastly, this will NOT be a heavy track duty car, but rather a serious street machine. So, drive-ability is a must.

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
FRPP diff cover and at minimum the diff housing bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94slowbra1

Established Member
coming from a guy that has a whipple with a stock style throttle body id opt for a blower with a single blade plenum. also i have no first hand experience but i havent read too many good things about the bbk t/b. i run a posi ported stocker, great drivability and good power (616/575) but probably leaving some on the table.
you'll need some sort of maf upgrade (sct or dialblo mafia). id also get a new shifter, not needed but feels much nicer. and with your new found power i would look into upgrading the irs, how far is up to you. you seem like a guy that has the "while im there" mentality so just knock it all out at once. plus the tank will be out of the way already

mkb116

Established Member
I'd go 2.9 over 2.3 or even TVS. I'd definitely do the single blade inlet. I think the 2.3 will baaarely break 700 wheel. I don't know if the dual inlet style is possible. Just much easier with the other blowers. Unless your getting an unbeatable deal, I'd save yourself the trouble.

700 wheel on e85, you're going to need bigger than 80's I believe. Any aftermarket rails should work.

If it's a street car.... Be aware e85 hates cold starts.

mkb116

Established Member
2.9 crusher on e85, ID1000's, full return system. Stock exhaust manifolds. 750 at 24 lbs... for reference.

mkb116

Established Member
One more thing, you should really get a billet tensioner for the blower belt, like the one from RR.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thanks for the replies so far. I am getting a good deal on a polished whipple 2.3. Problem is it comes with the stock style plenum with the BBK TB. BBK and whipple plenum have booth been ported.

Owner told me the ported BBK flows around 1400 CFM while the single blade flows around 1600 CFM. Owner said his current set up with ported BBK TB, 2.3 whipple and e85 makes 694HP with remote tune from 04sleeper (Dyno sheet provided to me).

I already have an accufab single blade TB. I have emailed whipple to see how much they will charge for a single blade plenum. Have not heard back from them yet.

I'm okay with barely cracking 700HP if that's what the 2.3 is capable of. Remember, I'm going from stock to around 700HP, so that will be one hell of an increase for me.

I am also a looks matters kind of guy, so I want a polished blower. I don't think VMP offers a polished version.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Your fuel rails should be fine factory.

I'd recommend the RXT over the RST heading to the 700 level on E85....the power band will be much more brutal even sub 3500 rpm, you will see. Much more TQ hit.

A 2.9 would be nice, but not necessary. Going much past 700 you start running the real risk of a lot more issues like T56s grenading, heads lifting, etc. Even 690 will create years of excitement over your current power level.

04sleeper remote tune will tie it all together.

Good luck

cj428mach

Established Member
My Suggestions are as follows

Supercharger: Gen 2 TVS. The TVS has better TB options, better pulley options, and has the removable inlet. I can't stress how nice the removable inlet is!!!!! You can also easily modify your custom belt cover to fit the TVS, the Whipple sits higher so there is less room for that.
TB: GT500 TB, if money is tight go with a stock inlet as you can always change later.
Upper Pulley: 3.0 should get you 21psi. I currently run a 2.9" and make 21-23 psi depending upon temps. This is where the TVS is better, you can get any pulley from 2.5-3.3 in .1" increments. The Whipple is basically .25" increments unless you can find an old used RR pulley. The rule of thumb is .1" = 1 psi of boost.
Lower Pulley: Metco 4 lb (No other option really unless you find a caged lower)
MAF: I'm currently running a VMP100mm MAF conversion, I like it in that I still have plenty of head room while not being so big that I have resolution problems down low. I also like that its basically 4" diameter VS the 2600 which I believe is 3.5"

Fuel (Return style):
Fore Hat: -10 Feed and -8 Return (The 10 feed is fine but 8 will do what you need)
Dual in tank Walbro 465 fuel pumps to support e85
Fuel Pressure regulator: Get a Fore Regulator as the Fore's have one of the largest valves of any regulator so this allows it to maintain pressure better when there are large changes in demand.
Fuel rails: Stock rails will work if ran in a dead head configuration, they will not work if you try to run them a conventional return system as the FRPS hole is to small for a return. My friend Waffleman is running his car this way.
Fuel injectors: I personally would look at a better injector than 80's, driveability can suffer on gasoline and they have to be pretty marginal. I actually out ran my ID1000's which are 98lb injectors on e85.

After blowing up my t56 I'm currently swapping in a Magnum, I also have done poly diff bushings and a FRPP diff cover, other than that the rest of the car is stock.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
If your buying from a person that is already running the same setup and a tune from 04sleeper, you should probably plan on that being about your max hp with the same combo. Personally I would rather stay with stock lower to stay away from alternator issues, and just go with a smaller upper pulley, unless you can find a caged which is the only thing that would make it worth it IMO. Would also plan on going with ID1000's in place of the 80s. People say they used to be a problem injector. While I have no issues with mine, I am also not running E85.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I like it.

I know everyone is looking at the 2.3 whipple and giving other suggestions. But like you said, you're going from stock to 700. You are going to have all the supporting mods you'll need and if you ever want more power, or more efficient 700, then its as simple as swapping out the 2.3 for a TVS or 2.9.

I like what you have listed. I'm on the same quest, but I'll be doing it with a 2.9. Like others have mentioned, I've heard of drivibilty issues with the 80s, but imo, any good tuner should be able to make it work. I however opted for the ID1000s.

Keep us updated! I'm curious to see how it goes for you!!

MG0h3

Established Member
Just remember you arent going to see the same amount of air getting moved up here at 4k'. Buddy here has a TVS with a 6lb lower/2.8 upper and only sees 21-22.

O4sleeper just tuned my car on E85 and it fires right up and you know how cold its been.

I was already close to 600rwhp and adding E85 and 5psi is unbelievable. Im sure youll be shocked.

oh and tires...youll need a real DR to enjoy the power.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Just remember you arent going to see the same amount of air getting moved up here at 4k'. Buddy here has a TVS with a 6lb lower/2.8 upper and only sees 21-22.

O4sleeper just tuned my car on E85 and it fires right up and you know how cold its been.

I was already close to 600rwhp and adding E85 and 5psi is unbelievable. I'm sure you'll be shocked.

oh and tires...you'll need a real DR to enjoy the power.

Thanks MG. Yeah I was wondering about the firing up issue. My Ford F-150 runs on e85 and it fires and runs fine in all weather conditions.

I understand about the elevation here. My brother has been in the performance game for a while. He's a carburetor type of guy and really does not understand computers and fuel injection. But, he always tells me about El Paso performance versus sea level performance LOL.

Yes, I'm very excited about having around 700HP with my Cobra. I drove a 2013 Shelby GT500 and that car was a beast. So, I'm sure driving my Cobra with that much HP will be awesome.

I already have a set of Hoosier drag radials waiting. Those things look like slicks with two lines going around them just for the DOT approval LOL.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't come around for few days and I come back to this. It's going to be a beast when you're done.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone, I went down the rabbit hole and was enticed. However, after doing more research I feel the risk out weighs the gain for me at this point.

First is financially. Now is not the time for me to be spending thousands of dollars on this quest. I started out trying to upgrade the looks by powder coating some things and then I started looking at upgrading performance rather than sticking to my original plan/goal.

Second, I have seen too many things where others have had problems at this power level. I have read threads where people have messed up their transmissions and I have read threads where people are snapping crank pulleys.

I understand the performance game and I know when you beef up one thing there are several other things that need to be upgraded as well and I really don't want to do that at this point in time.

I may revisit this down the road, but for now I appreciate all the advice and insight. However, I'm going to remain stock for a little while longer.

cj428mach

Established Member
Yoi can always go 2.3l and keep the boost lower. Unless you're really beating on the car it'll last forever at 600rwhp.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I here you CJ. I was planning on buying a used 2.3l Whipple. However, even if I keep the boost low I will still need to buy all the same parts, but run lower boost as you mentioned. So, I'm still in the same boat financially.

I'll beef it up one day. I'm just not ready yet. I got excited over the possibility of having 700HP on tap. Then reality set in LMAO!!!

Users who are viewing this thread