Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I managed to get the transmission back in yesterday. Used 2 jacks and a few 4x4s to maneuver it in to place.

It was a balancing act for sure lol. However, I just took my time and it ended up sliding into place.

Then putting everything back in place was a challenge.

Once I was done I took my step son on the test drive. Scared the **** out of him lmao. He wasn't expecting it to make that much power.

Car is running great. Everything seems to be in order. I put a drip tray under the car last night and no drips this morning. Looks like I got everything sealed up.

Now to see if and when the next issue reveals itself lmao.

However, I'm very happy so far. I haven't driven the car in 2 months. Felt good to get behind the wheel again.......

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, although it's been a while since my last post, the saga continues with the car. As always there is good and bad news LMAO!!!

First the good news. The car is running well and strong! I took it for its annual Texas State Safety Inspection this past weekend at my buddies shop. After we get done he wanted to go for a rip. What could I do? I must oblige LMAO!!!!

So, we went around the block ripping through the gears and having a good ole time. Now, the city is widening the road next to his shop. They just laid down some fresh asphalt and that area of the road is blocked off.

So, when we get back to his shop I back the car up to the end of the new asphalt and he asks me what I'm doing. I tell him you will see. I say this is either going to go great or we are going to get arrested. He says oh shit and laughs.

Those of you who have been following my build know I put a line lock on the car. I have never used it or tested it. So, I was like no time like the present LMAO!!! I flip the switch to lock the front wheels. I put it in first and the car pushes forward a little. So, I let off and put the car in second. Now we are cooking with Crisco.

I had that thing ripping. The car started to fill with tire smoke so I release the lock and she scoots. My buddy is grinning from ear to ear and yelled out that was epic! LOL. Man, it was awesome LOL.

I dropped my buddy off at his shop and then I head home. Once I was home my buddy went back to the scene of the crime and sent me these two pictures.

Damn, those lines are laser straight LOL. My buddy said I probably left about $200 worth of rubber on the asphalt LOL. I told him that's how you autograph a new road properly LMAO!!!!

IMG_9728.jpg

IMG_9729.jpg

I had a blast!!!

Now for the bad news. Ever since I have been driving this car I noticed that going into 4th gear was always a problem. The car only has 209 miles on the clock, but 4th gear is getting worse.

I took my step daughter for a ride a couple weeks ago and was ripping it. When it came time to slow down I tried going from 5th to 4th and it would not go into 4th for the life of me. Once I slowed down enough the car finally grinded into 4th.

Now when I drive it the car ALWAYS grinds when going into 4th. So, I called American Powertrain today and I was told that they have had this issue with other customers. The guy told me they used some type of spray on liner for the synchro's that did not work well. They have some other type of materials now that fixes the problem. I have no clue what he's talking about. I'm not a transmission guy, but he said they can fix it, so I was good with that.

Now, he said my warranty has been expired for 3 months now. So, he said I will have to pay for shipping, but he will cover parts and labor since my car only has 200 miles on it.

So, now I get to drop the transmission "AGAIN" LOL. Hey, what can I do? Cry? No, all I can do is laugh.

So, I'll be dropping the transmission this week and sending it back next week. Hopefully once it comes back it will work properly. I did ask the guy to check it to make sure I didn't grind down or chip any gears with all that grinding. He said they will make sure everything is up to par.

Stay tuned for more posts now LOL...........

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ugh, pulling the trans definitely sucks but at least they aren't telling you to just pound sand. I had to eat some costs on several things because I bought em and then they just sat around during the build

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
ugh, pulling the trans definitely sucks but at least they aren't telling you to just pound sand. I had to eat some costs on several things because I bought em and then they just sat around during the build

Yeah, I was thinking as soon as he said "warranty expired" I felt the next words would be I had to pay for everything. I guess since he knew they installed parts that were known to fail he helped me out.

So, overall I'm happy. I'll gladly pay for shipping knowing parts and labor to fix it will be covered by them.

Sucks to remove a transmission, but since I've done it once I know what to expect. Also, I'll get it up on jack stands tonight and spend the rest of the week removing some parts after work. That way it won't seem like such a huge project.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Does that have the seperate bellhousing? If so that's a little easier than dealing with everything at least.

Man, when you mentioned new asphalt I was worried you were going to say there was asphalt specs all over your car.
or that the Popo caught him tearing up the new street

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Does that have the seperate bellhousing? If so that's a little easier than dealing with everything at least.

Man, when you mentioned new asphalt I was worried you were going to say there was asphalt specs all over your car.

Hello Bob. Yes, it "does" have a separate bellhousing. The problem is my hydraulic throw-out bearing is in the way. So, I have to remove the bell housing and transmission as a unit.

No sir, there was no asphalt specs all over the QTR panel, but there was a ton of burnt rubber specs on the QTR panels. However, they rubbed right off and then I used my detail spray to finish cleaning it up.

You would never know that burnout took place when looking at the car LOL. Now, looking at the asphalt, that's another story LOL.

Daywalker

Established Member
Glad you had fun but it sucks to have to drop the transmission . I hope it's nothing too bad and that you get it back onto the road ASAP!

LS WUT

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, although it's been a while since my last post, the saga continues with the car. As always there is good and bad news LMAO!!!

First the good news. The car is running well and strong! I took it for its annual Texas State Safety Inspection this past weekend at my buddies shop. After we get done he wanted to go for a rip. What could I do? I must oblige LMAO!!!!

So, we went around the block ripping through the gears and having a good ole time. Now, the city is widening the road next to his shop. They just laid down some fresh asphalt and that area of the road is blocked off.

So, when we get back to his shop I back the car up to the end of the new asphalt and he asks me what I'm doing. I tell him you will see. I say this is either going to go great or we are going to get arrested. He says oh shit and laughs.

Those of you who have been following my build know I put a line lock on the car. I have never used it or tested it. So, I was like no time like the present LMAO!!! I flip the switch to lock the front wheels. I put it in first and the car pushes forward a little. So, I let off and put the car in second. Now we are cooking with Crisco.

I had that thing ripping. The car started to fill with tire smoke so I release the lock and she scoots. My buddy is grinning from ear to ear and yelled out that was epic! LOL. Man, it was awesome LOL.

I dropped my buddy off at his shop and then I head home. Once I was home my buddy went back to the scene of the crime and sent me these two pictures.

Damn, those lines are laser straight LOL. My buddy said I probably left about $200 worth of rubber on the asphalt LOL. I told him that's how you autograph a new road properly LMAO!!!!

View attachment 1792223

View attachment 1792224

I had a blast!!!

Now for the bad news. Ever since I have been driving this car I noticed that going into 4th gear was always a problem. The car only has 209 miles on the clock, but 4th gear is getting worse.

I took my step daughter for a ride a couple weeks ago and was ripping it. When it came time to slow down I tried going from 5th to 4th and it would not go into 4th for the life of me. Once I slowed down enough the car finally grinded into 4th.

Now when I drive it the car ALWAYS grinds when going into 4th. So, I called American Powertrain today and I was told that they have had this issue with other customers. The guy told me they used some type of spray on liner for the synchro's that did not work well. They have some other type of materials now that fixes the problem. I have no clue what he's talking about. I'm not a transmission guy, but he said they can fix it, so I was good with that.

Now, he said my warranty has been expired for 3 months now. So, he said I will have to pay for shipping, but he will cover parts and labor since my car only has 200 miles on it.

So, now I get to drop the transmission "AGAIN" LOL. Hey, what can I do? Cry? No, all I can do is laugh.

So, I'll be dropping the transmission this week and sending it back next week. Hopefully once it comes back it will work properly. I did ask the guy to check it to make sure I didn't grind down or chip any gears with all that grinding. He said they will make sure everything is up to par.

Stay tuned for more posts now LOL...........
Like a boss! Love it man, hard work dedication !

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glad you had fun but it sucks to have to drop the transmission . I hope it's nothing too bad and that you get it back onto the road ASAP!

Thank you Chris! No sir, I don't think it is anything major. Just more embarrassing than anything else. I have this badass car and when I take people for a ride it sounds like an old truck when shifting to 4th LOL....

The guy said once they have the transmission they will push it to the front of the line and it will take about 2 days to get it fixed up. He said they will put it on the dyno and make sure everything checks out.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Love the street autograph!
Anything else they can upgrade while in the trans? Have you been happy with it otherwise?
-J

Hello J. I don't think so. When I ordered the transmission I asked for a couple of upgrades. I asked for the upgraded shifter lever. They call it the White Lightning.

I also told them I had heard TKO's have a hard time going into gear at higher RPMs. When I mentioned this the guy told me "I have a upgraded TKO here that has all the upgrades ready to go and gives you a 7,000+ rpm shift and built to take a beating."

So, they said they were going to upgrade it to a race style transmission. This is what is listed on my invoice as the upgraded package:

Sure Shift Upgrade Package - For high rpm TKO shifting and smoother gear
transitions. Includes:

* Carbon Fiber Lined Synchro Rings
* Billet Fork Pads
* Race tolerance build

At an additional cost of $507.56

So, you can see why I'm not too happy about my 4th gear issue LOL. So, I'll send it back and make sure it is built correctly this time around.

And yes, besides the 4th gear it has been a great transmission. Shifts really good going from 1st to 3rd at the higher RPMs.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice autograph! :) Well, at least it's early enough in the season that getting it resolved now will hopefully let you have a great cruising/show season this year.

Thanks Ted. Yeah, that is a good thing. Plus I'm not roasting in a hot @$$ garage taking it apart either LOL.

I think the car will be damn near perfect once I get the transmission back working properly.

I have been driving my Terminator this week. It shifts like butter compared to my TKO600. Rowing the gear up or down is great. So, I'm hoping this fix will get the TKO up to standard and shifting the same way.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well, I got the transmission pulled out this past weekend.

UPS is supposed to swing by and pick it up today.

Man, all I can say is Deja Vu LMAO!!!!

20230506_114417_resized.jpg

20230506_114448_resized.jpg

Had to use my jack to keep the engine from sagging on the backside.
20230506_113406_resized.jpg

Had to prop the transmission up in order to let the fluid drain out over night. I drained most of it while it was still in the car. So, only a little more came out.
20230506_113226_resized.jpg

20230506_113233_resized.jpg

Then it was time to box it up and getting it ready for UPS. I'll post up again once I get it back from American Powertrain......
20230507_121034_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Received an email from American Powertrain on Tuesday that the transmission was done and being shipped out yesterday.

I received a copy of my invoice last night and this is what they replaced or fixed:

- TKO 3-4 synchronizer
- Cone, mani drive clutch
- Assy, Gear - 3rd Gear TKO
- Carbon Fiber Lined SureShift Syncro Ring, TKO (each) 5

The total cost was listed right at $570. However, it was covered under warranty. So, I just had to pay for more transmission fluid and shipping. Overall I'm happy with everything so far. We will see how it works once I get it back and installed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread