Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Not much going on with the 65 this weekend.

While I was in Dallas the fuel pump rebuild kit for the T-Bird came in. So, I spent yesterday rebuilding the pump. Then I could only get the car to idle. When I tried to raise the idle the car would die. Come to find out the carburetor got messed up as well (I guess that's what happens when you don't start a carbureted car for more than 3 months and don't have a fuel stabilizer in it). The fuel bowls had some crust in it, my accelerator pump was dried out (i.e. like petrified LOL) and the jets/squirters were clogged.

So, off to the engine shop to get a rebuild kit for the carburetor. Once that was done I was able to get the T-Bird going. It still needs a tune up and the timing adjusted, but I'm just chilling today LOL. The main thing is it's running.

Here's a quick video of the T-Bird running:

My wife was complaining of exhaust fumes/smell in the house when I would run the cars. So, after I got the T-Bird running I spun the cars round in the garage to let the exhaust vent out of the garage instead of into the house (DUH LOL).

20220521_160527.jpg

Since most of the bugs are worked out of the 65 (i.e. brakes, power steering leak and Alternator) I tapped the gas a little harder in the street. MAN, all I can say is the 65 is going to fly. I barely hit the gas in first gear and broke the tires lose with ease. That 427 makes some nice power.

NOTE: I only intended to turn the car around and put it back in the garage, which is why no video was taken. I just couldn't help myself. The little devil in my head said "Hit It!" LMAO.....

Can't wait to get the 65 insured and registered so I can play with it a little more :D:D(y).........

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted. My P/S was still leaking. The O rings didn't hold up and blew out on the pressure side. So, last week I went to the tubes n hoses shop and got the correct nylon washers. I installed them today and they seem to be holding.

So, I backed the car out of the garage today to take some pictures for the insurance company. I have to submit my packet next week in order to get the insurance and then get it registered and on the road legally. I need to take it out and make sure it doesn't over heat and take it further than around the block LOL.

It's not 100% finished. Still need a front end alignment, need to put the passenger seat back in and finish a few other items (i.e. gluing weather stripping. That's why there is tape on the passenger door).

20220604_113146.jpg

20220604_113203.jpg

20220604_113239.jpg

20220604_113335.jpg

20220604_113844.jpg

20220604_113407.jpg

20220604_113744.jpg

20220604_113924.jpg

20220604_114129.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
@Black Gold 380R

Car looks amazing! These old cars with power steering, they seem to always leak. What setup are you running?

We still haven't driven our 67 this year. Waiting on a transmission jack. Transmission is leaking pretty good between the bell housing and case.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
@Black Gold 380R

Car looks amazing! These old cars with power steering, they seem to always leak. What setup are you running?

We still haven't driven our 67 this year. Waiting on a transmission jack. Transmission is leaking pretty good between the bell housing and case.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Thank you Brady! Yes, I agree. The Ford set up on the old cars tends to always leak. When I rebuilt the car in 2010 I installed the Borgeson P/S set up. It worked great with zero leaks.

This time around I wanted to go with an electronic power assist set up, but it wasn't in the budget. So, I asked Mustangs to Fear to send me a power rack and pinion set up. It came with a factory defect in the nylon washer. I tried to patch it with a rubber O ring, but I knew it wouldn't hold before I installed it. So, that was on me.

I put it together right this time and now it is working great, No leaks at all.

I hear you on the transmission leak. The T-Bird is leaking in the same place. My Dad said he tried to have a shop fix it, but they didn't get it done.

Old cars are cool, but there always seems to be something that needs attention LOL. Wouldn't trade it for anything :p ...

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I was going through some old photos and just wanted to post some comparison shots. There are some subtle differences, but the overall design of the body is very similar. The engine bay and underside are where the major differences are.

BEFORE (2010):
2012-12-29 13.46.01.jpg

2012-12-29 13.46.35.jpg

2012-12-29 13.47.00.jpg

S4300023.JPG

AFTER (2022):
You can see the red looks darker and seems to have more pearl in it. I think the wheels and tires takes it to another level. No doubt about the improved engine bay LOL.
20220604_113130.jpg

20220604_113317_LI.jpg

20220604_113335.jpg

20220517_105548.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Bought a cell phone holder that mounts to my windshield. It's not the greatest, but it allowed me to take a video while driving the 65.

It's only 6 minuets, but if you just want to see the test hits they start at the 3:08 mark.

I really laid in to it on the first hit and spun the tires. I tried to ease in to it on the second hit, but it still spun. This car has a ton of power.

This is also with the exhaust out the back (with the cutouts closed).

Needless to say I'm VERY happy with the results of this build. Looking forward to more enjoyment (once I get my plates) LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I've been working with a collector car company trying to get insurance on my car. There is a minor issue with my agreed upon value.

In my application packet I listed $120K as my requested agreed upon value. I believe in todays market that if my car is totaled it will cost me around $120K to get another Mustang (coupe) built to this level.

I send the application in and attach pictures of the car. Pretty much all the pictures you guys have seen (i.e. engine, interior, exterior, underside, front and back).

A couple days later the insurance company contacts me and says they want additional documentation to support the value I listed for the car. They want things such as an appraisal or receipts or a bill of sale.

I bought the car in 1989. No bill of sale. I have not had the car officially appraised and I do not have $120K worth of receipts.

So, I compiled the receipts I do have on all my big ticket items. I would be scanning receipts all day if I counted all the $20 to $100 receipts I have.

So, after compiling my big ticket items this is what I came up with:

The grand total of all my big ticket items and labor comes to a valuation of $142,479.06.

I explained to them that If I ever have to replace this car with one of equal quality I would have to purchase one from a collector or an auction house such as Barret Jackson or Mecum. When those cars are sold the labor that went into them is passed on to the customer. So, for me to replace this car I believe I would have to pay around $120K. Which is where my valuation comes from.

So, I guess I will see what they say. I think I make a pretty good argument, but insurance companies never want to pay. Even when the judge orders them to because someone got an STD while in a car LMAO!!!

Any thoughts? What do you think they will do? Honor my request or low ball me??? Do you think my valuation if off/too high???

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not sure if they'll accept your labor (personal time) cost, but it sounds like you have a good shot. Certainly if you have receipts to back up the parts number I don't see how they can low-ball you. JMO.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Not sure if they'll accept your labor (personal time) cost, but it sounds like you have a good shot. Certainly if you have receipts to back up the parts number I don't see how they can low-ball you. JMO.

Thank you Bob! When I first talked to them they said they do not include labor. However, my point is my labor contributes to the overall valuation of the car. For example, I painted the car for probably around $3,500 in materials. However, if I paid a shop to do it the paint job could cost up to $25K. So, a receipt from the paint shop saying $25K makes it worth that, but me doing it myself does not warrant that valuation just because I did it???

That doesn't pass the common sense test to me

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
you might have to bite the bullet and get an appraisal done to get it that high

I think I agree with you DSG. My wife and I already talked. If the insurance company does not go with my value I will get it appraised and see if I can raise the agreed value that way.

Provided the appraiser goes that high LOL.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you’re on point and I’d also expect (and personally want) an appraisal.
Good luck let us know.
-J

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Made another test hit video. This time with the cutouts open. Sounds mean as hell, but I'm not sure my cell phone microphone could actually capture it. But if you compare this video to the previous one you can hear a difference.

Some things are better in person LOL.

Cutouts open around the 1:20 mark. You get good idle sound with the cutouts open at the end. Around the 4 minuet mark.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread