Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After I let the car dry for a few hours I went back in the garage and took some glamour shots LMAO!!!

Basically I moved my lights around the car to get a good reflection of the gloss.

I must say I am VERY happy and proud of the way I painted this car. It's no professional job, but for being in my garage I couldn't be happier or prouder of my accomplishment. I'm also glad I was able to overcome the issues that were presented to me during this process.

I can tell you this is NOT easy. My arm was sore from holding the spray gun and my back was sore from bending over the car LMAO.....

Thanks to all of you who have been following my build and supporting me. Greatly appreciated my friends.

Now it is time to cut and buff and then reassemble. Once that's done I'll get the car tuned and I should be on my way down the road.... SWEET!!!!

Man, look at that shine. Can't wait to cut and buff it!!!
20211124_160806.jpg

20211124_160836.jpg

Look at how good my repair area came out.
20211124_161300.jpg

VERY happy with my stripes.
20211124_161321.jpg

I can't get over that shine. I think I will eat my turkey in the garage this year. ROFLMAO!!!!
20211124_161409.jpg

You can see the orange peel, but my engine bay and fenders looked like this too before I cut and buffed them.
20211124_161623.jpg

20211124_161705.jpg

Even the rear valance came out great. I love it!!!!! Too happy today LMAO!!!
20211124_161814.jpg

ToddW702

Established Member
Man that looks good. I would be out there looking at it several times too. Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Man that looks good. I would be out there looking at it several times too. Great work!

Thank you Todd! When I sprayed base coat I wasn't too worried as I knew it was easy to fix. However, I got a little nervous shooting that clear lol. After it dries a few days I'll cut and buff it and post up some before and after shots....

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Out****ingstanding! That looks awesome!

Thank you Geoff!!! To be honest I was skeptical that I could actually make it come out this good. However, the results pleasantly exceeded my hopes.

Now it's time to cut and buff..... I think this is where the magic is going to happen LMAO!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
After I let the car dry for a few hours I went back in the garage and took some glamour shots LMAO!!!

Basically I moved my lights around the car to get a good reflection of the gloss.

I must say I am VERY happy and proud of the way I painted this car. It's no professional job, but for being in my garage I couldn't be happier or prouder of my accomplishment. I'm also glad I was able to overcome the issues that were presented to me during this process.

I can tell you this is NOT easy. My arm was sore from holding the spray gun and my back was sore from bending over the car LMAO.....

Thanks to all of you who have been following my build and supporting me. Greatly appreciated my friends.

Now it is time to cut and buff and then reassemble. Once that's done I'll get the car tuned and I should be on my way down the road.... SWEET!!!!

Man, look at that shine. Can't wait to cut and buff it!!!
View attachment 1728853

View attachment 1728854

Look at how good my repair area came out.
View attachment 1728855

VERY happy with my stripes.
View attachment 1728856

I can't get over that shine. I think I will eat my turkey in the garage this year. ROFLMAO!!!!
View attachment 1728857

You can see the orange peel, but my engine bay and fenders looked like this too before I cut and buffed them.
View attachment 1728858

View attachment 1728859

Even the rear valance came out great. I love it!!!!! Too happy today LMAO!!!
View attachment 1728860
You SHOULD be TOO HAPPY! That paint looks perfecto! Imagine what it’s going to look like when it’s buffed. We’ll done!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I'm going to wait a couple more days before I go full force on this, but the clear coat instructions say I have to wait a minimum of 24 hours before sanding. It's been 48 hours.

There was a spot on the drivers C pillar that was bugging me. It had some overspray on top of the orange peel and it was making it look dry. So, I decided to test it out and see if I could buff it out. If this area buffs out the rest of the car will come out great.

I didn't take a picture of the C pillar because I was focusing on buffing it out.

However, look at the reflection in the front of the door. It's hazy because of the orange peel. The C pillar was worse because of the addition of the overspray.
20211126_093623.jpg

Here is the front of the Driver's side QTR. Again, look at the red portion above the stripes and you can see how bad the orange peel is. This is because of my gun. I'm using a gun with a 1.4 spray tip and I should be using a gun with a 1.2 tip to spray clear. 1.2 would atomize the clear more and give me a smoother finish. It's no big deal, I'll just have more sanding to do during the cutting process.
20211126_093652.jpg

Here is the reflection in the QTR panel with the orange peel.
20211126_112022.jpg

And here is the reflection in the C pillar after cutting and buffing. I used a new system I found on that Paint Society YouTube channel. It's a dry sanding system and cuts quicker than the normal sand paper I was using wet. Dry sanding is great as I can use my air hose to blow the dust off and it doesn't leave a mess or white residue all over the side of the car and my garage floor..
20211126_112003.jpg

Close up of the reflection. Looks like a mirror after sanding out the overspray and orange peel. Man, this car is going to come out great. SWEET!
20211126_111950.jpg

I can see my reflection. Don't know if that's good or bad LMAO!!!
20211126_112058.jpg

And here it is with the lights on it. Now I got something going LOL.
20211126_112313.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You SHOULD be TOO HAPPY! That paint looks perfecto! Imagine what it’s going to look like when it’s buffed. We’ll done!

Thank you Bob! You must have posted when I was putting my post together. I started the buffing process and it's night and day difference sir.

I will let it dry a few more days and then start the complete cutting and buffing process.

Thanks again Bob! Appreciate you checking in and providing feedback my friend!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Wow that looks like it’ll come out amazing!
Will make a long winter pass quicker
-J

Thank you J! Yeah, I was going to try and wait, but I couldn't LOL. So, I went in to the garage today and got started. I think I'm going to knock this out as soon as I can LOL.

I had to come up with a better way to knock down the orange peel.

See below post.....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

I know I said I was going to wait a few more days, but I couldn't LOL.

I went in to the garage and got started.

I started on the roof. I used that dry system again, but on the bigger body panel it was not knocking down the orange peel fast enough. So, I had to figure out a way to speed up the process and make it work for the polishing process.

So, I decided I needed to cut the orange peel with the wet sanding process using 1000 grit wet/dry paper like I used to (again I made more work for myself by using a spray gun with a 1.4 tip, Could have avoided this, but I didn't want to buy another spray gun as I do not plan on painting cars LOL).

Once the orange peel is knocked down the rest of the sanding process moves along quickly. So, after I got the orange peel knocked down I then returned to the dry sanding process as it uses an orbital sander that makes the process even easier.

Here you can see the difference between the passenger C pillar and the QTR panel. The orange peel has been knocked down in the C pillar and the pillar was dry sanded using step 1 of the 3 step dry sanding process.
20211127_145957.jpg

Here you can see the haze. That dry sanding process is amazing once the orange peel is out. It's hazy, but has a shine. This makes it much easier to buff. And I still have 2 more dry sanding steps to go LOL.
20211127_145917.jpg

Look at the roof. It is slick as a baby's butt LMAO!!! Remember I still have 2 more dry sanding steps to go. This is going to look like glass. Man, I'm very glad I found this dry sanding system.
20211127_145939.jpg

After I finished the roof I decided to tackle the runs. That way I just need to focus on the orange peel on the rest of the car.

Here is the run on the driver's side scoop.
20211124_160040.jpg

Got it knocked out.
20211127_155212.jpg

Here is the run in the driver's QTR panel.
20211124_160054.jpg

Got it knocked out too. I have to use 800 grit wet sand to knock out the runs. It's a little aggressive, so I have to be careful I don't burn through the clear. You can still see some orange peel in other parts of the QTR panel. I will take care of that with wet sanding and 1000 grit. Then I'll go back to the dry sanding process to finish it off.
20211127_155223.jpg

This is not cut or buffed, but the sun was hitting the paint on the driver's door towards the end of the day. So, I just had to take a picture. Love this color in the sun. Looks great with the sun hitting on the curves and bends of the body lines. Should look incredible once it's all buffed and sitting outside.
20211127_154507.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Another obstacle tackled with determination and skills inbred or learned. But seriously, you're doing stuff that others do with years of experience. If it doesn't go quite as you planned, like the orange peel, you're not overwhelmed (like I would be, LOL). You find out how to fix it and push forward.

How much time do you think you'll put in to dry sand and buff?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Another obstacle tackled with determination and skills inbred or learned. But seriously, you're doing stuff that others do with years of experience. If it doesn't go quite as you planned, like the orange peel, you're not overwhelmed (like I would be, LOL). You find out how to fix it and push forward.

How much time do you think you'll put in to dry sand and buff?

Dang Bob, you are very astute my friend! I am actually an Intel Analyst and make my living by assessing situations, identifying the problem and then trying to figure how to best address fixing those problems. So, I'm just using my professional skills in my personal life.

Also, when I was in the military I seen people fly off the handle when things didn't go their way. I had a friend that if his car got a scratch or something like that he would get pissed start cursing and throwing stuff and then he would calm down. I was like were all those dramatics necessary? After everything was done the car was still scratched LMAO!!!

So, yes, when something goes wrong I have an initial reaction, but then I realize it just needs to be fixed or worked out.

I was frustrated the orange peel wasn't coming out as fast as I would like. So, I stepped back, figured out how I got it out of my fenders and started there. Then when I combined my previous sanding style with the new dry system it came out great.

I have no idea how long this will take. It took me 8 hours to do the roof and get out the runs. I still need to wet sand the trunk and driver's and passenger side and then complete step 1 of the dry sanding process. Then I'll have to sand the whole car 2 more times dry (this should go fast though. Getting out the orange peel is the most difficult and time consuming part).

THEN I have to give the whole car a 3 step polishing process. LOL. Damn, just typing that makes it sound like I have weeks of work ahead of me LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You're putting in work my friend. I wish I had half your skill. lol
Serious. Good job man.

I don't have your skills, but I do enjoy living through your accomplishments in this thread.

Thank you both for your kind words. I also post on the Vintage Mustang forum. A guy over there said I'm working like a man possessed on this build. LMAO, I thought that was funny.

I didn't always have these skills. I remember one time (in my early 20's) I overheated my car and my Dad had to come pick me up. So, thinking there was no more water in the block I started to take everything apart while my Dad came out to get me (I was like 200 miles from home). My Dad gets there and we tow the car home. The next day we remove the heads and the cylinders are filled with water and starting to rust because I loosened the head bolts. My Dad was not happy LOL. I told him I was only trying to help. He said, next time don't help ROFLMAO!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread