Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
So, at $75 an hour times 864 hours I believe I have saved myself $64,800.

The ex wife used to give me shit about working on the car myself instead of having it done. After we split she briefly dated some guy having a camaro (ewwww) built, she found out he'd sunk somewhere around 100k in it with a shop and it still wasn't done. She apologized for giving me shit about my car

one for the record books I guess

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You definitely pay attention to the details, that’s what will put yours a notch above the competition.

Thank you Grabber! I was talking to my wife the other day and she asked me when I was going to re-paint the underside of the trunk? I laughed and said, it's not perfect, but it's good enough for the under side.

I asked her why she asked me that and she because I know how you are LOL. I'm trying real hard not to be a perfectionist, but at the same time I know how I like things.

Appreciate you saying mine will be a notch above the competition. It's nice to know others appreciate my efforts in this build.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The end is fast approaching!! You need to buy some champagne (or other brew) for the celebration.

Thanks Bob! I really don't know what I'm going to do the day it's officially done. I'll probably just sit in it listening to music and wondering which will be my first car show LOL. I'll probably have my Dad, brother and a few other friends over to help me celebrate too (y)...

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The ex wife used to give me shit about working on the car myself instead of having it done. After we split she briefly dated some guy having a camaro (ewwww) built, she found out he'd sunk somewhere around 100k in it with a shop and it still wasn't done. She apologized for giving me shit about my car

one for the record books I guess

You know it's funny DSG, it seems wives are never satisfied. They are either complaining you are spending too much time in the garage or that you are spending too much money on things in the garage LMAO!!!

I'm lucky as mine says I do not spend enough time with her. I'd rather have that complaint than telling me I'm spending to much money.

Man, I couldn't imagine spending 100K and still not having my car finished. :eek:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks Bob! I really don't know what I'm going to do the day it's officially done. I'll probably just sit in it listening to music and wondering which will be my first car show LOL. I'll probably have my Dad, brother and a few other friends over to help me celebrate too (y)...
That sounds like a fun way to celebrate....family and friends!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, yesterday was Veteran's Day and you guys know what I was doing LOL.

I focused on the deck lid and finished all my sanding.

I had to sand the rear lip of the deck lid.
20211111_093002.jpg

Here you can clearly see the shine. Had to get this area prepared for paint.
20211111_093008.jpg

After the top was sanded I flipped it over in order to install the new seal. It's much easier to install the seal with the deck lid off the car.
20211111_141234.jpg

Got the seal installed and the taped everything up to protect it from overspray.
20211111_204920.jpg

I then reinstalled the deck lid on the car. It needs to be cleaned up, but that underside and jam look WAY better now.
20211111_211600.jpg

20211111_211637.jpg

I also sanded the rear valance area.
20211111_141219.jpg

Lastly, I wet sanded the door jams. The car is 100% sanded now. This weekend I will focus on reinstalling the fenders in order to lay out the side stripes. Once that is done I'll clean the garage VERY well, lay down some plastic and create a semi spray booth, mask the car up and then paint it. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that I'll spray it over Thanksgiving weekend......
20211111_141201.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Well, I got my fenders put back on and got my side stripes laid out. I'm VERY happy with how they came out. Much straighter now. Should look great once I paint the red and then pull the tape off.

I really like how it looks when it's put together LOL.
20211112_142032.jpg

I really like this shot with the clean undercarriage.....
20211113_092938.jpg

Good thing I sprayed the black wide enough LOL.
20211112_142041.jpg

I started out on the passenger side. Here you can see the Laser level on the top black line.
20211112_151104.jpg

Got the laser spot on. SWEET!
20211112_151037.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay time to lay out the side stripes.

(Side note: I have to do the honey do thing tomorrow. We have new carpet being put in next week. So, tomorrow I'll be moving items out of rooms. So, this will be the only update for this weekend).

I used blue fine line vinyl tape for the top and bottom stripes, so it's hard to see against the black.
20211112_161329.jpg

Using that laser really helped. Very straight. Excellent!
20211112_161404.jpg

Then I got started on the driver's side. The first line is the most important as everything is based off this line.
20211113_092900.jpg

Man, it came out great.
20211113_104603.jpg

Super straight. Too bad the body shop didn't do it this way LOL.
20211113_104625.jpg

Even from the reverse angle it looks great.
20211113_104754.jpg

Now it's right.
20211113_104638.jpg

This stripe on the driver's side was way off LOL. This was driving me nuts LOL.
20211113_104638 01.JPG

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Great attention to detail! I love seeing progress updates every week, even if I don’t comment. I was looking into a filter setup a buddy has for his Webber 8stack carb on his 67 coupe but unfortunately I can’t find out who makes it. If Kindig doesn’t get rolling on your setup maybe the Webber/ Delorto carb filter setup could work? I remember they made some great filters when I had a Baja bug years ago,wonder if it would fit the borla spacing

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Great attention to detail! I love seeing progress updates every week, even if I don’t comment. I was looking into a filter setup a buddy has for his Webber 8stack carb on his 67 coupe but unfortunately I can’t find out who makes it. If Kindig doesn’t get rolling on your setup maybe the Webber/ Delorto carb filter setup could work? I remember they made some great filters when I had a Baja bug years ago,wonder if it would fit the borla spacing

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Hello Geoff! I appreciate you always checking out my build. I also like when you comment as well sir. I always like reading what people think.

I received your PM. Thank you! I really like the K&N filter you sent. The socks I have on there now are set up for Webber carburetors. The distance on the Borla set up seem to be further apart than the Webber. I "really" had to stretch those socks to get them to fit.

I will look a little closer at the filters you sent to see if I can make any of them work. My Kindig rep did say that after SEMA he would get back on my request. SEMA is over now, so I will contact him this week to see what he says.

Thank you again Geoff!!! I know plenty of folks check this thread out, but I believe you and @Grabber70Mach are my biggest fans and I appreciate you guys, and everyone else who takes the time to view and comment on my build!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
LOL, I think this is funny.

I have been double posting this build for a while now. Meaning I have been posting here on SVTP and then copying my post and posting on the Vintage Mustang forum.

As of this post I have 37K views here on SVTP and 16K views on the vintage forum. Love that SVTP members are showing such interest in this build.

Again, I'm glad you guys convinced me to keep this build thread going on this site. Thank you all!!!

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Those lines definitely look straight, im assuming the last picture is what was done previously by the painter? If do that's really bad on the spacing for a professional.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You worked hard (including researching) to get the lines straight and everything just plain gelled. I feel sorry for the guy at the future car show who will ask you about your work on this Mustang. I hope he brings lunch (and dinner)! LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Those lines definitely look straight, im assuming the last picture is what was done previously by the painter? If do that's really bad on the spacing for a professional.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hello Grabber. Yes sir that last picture is how I received it from the body shop. I agree it is bad. Because of that I had to redo the side stripes anyway. The driver's side was laid out incorrectly and the passenger side had rust bubbles coming through. So, I was going to have to do some major blending with the fenders not matching the doors as well.

All these factors are why I just decided to repaint the whole car.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You worked hard (including researching) to get the lines straight and everything just plain gelled. I feel sorry for the guy at the future car show who will ask you about your work on this Mustang. I hope he brings lunch (and dinner)! LOL.

Thank you Bob! I found this picture online and used it as my reference. I did go with the 1965 spacing as I like it better.

LMAO, I don't think I'm long winded or anything, but there is A LOT to discuss concerning this build LMAO!!! I actually have thought about this situation. I thought about having business cards made with this website listed on the card. That way I do not have to say a lot and if they are seriously interested or are looking at how I did something they can just come here and scroll until their heart's content LOL.

GT350 side stripe specs.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well, it feels like forever since I last posted, but it's only been 8 days LOL.

It's almost time to spray. SWEET. I spent this weekend getting my garage and the car itself ready.

On Saturday I cleaned my garage out really well. I then laid out plastic on the floor and rearranged the plastic on the garage walls to give me more room to spray.

The garage floor has been cleaned and the plastic walls have been rearranged.
20211120_114250.jpg

20211120_114310.jpg

Got the plastic laid out on the floor.
20211120_134727.jpg

There is a little space between the plastic on the floor and the back plastic wall, but it's not enough to cause a problem.
20211120_134745.jpg

Got all the plastic taped up.
20211120_134812.jpg

Then on Sunday it was time to start masking the car. I started with the front and then moved on to the diver's side.
20211121_104516.jpg

I made sure to tape the plastic to the floor, so zero over spray gets under the car and on my nice new suspension, exhaust and Raptor liner coating.
20211121_104553.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I then moved over to the passenger side.

20211121_140607.jpg

20211121_140613.jpg

I finished up with the rear of the car. I needed to cover the taillight panel and tape up the trunk jam to keep overspray out.
20211121_140627.jpg

Here you can see the rear window covered up.
20211121_140713.jpg

I placed foam tape along the edge. This will keep overspray out and give me a smooth transition line between the outside and trunk jam.
20211121_140642.jpg

Completed overview. This wasn't difficult, but very tedious LOL.
20211121_141306.jpg

Here you can see I taped up the door jam. I need to be able to spray the door jam and car at the same time. So, I needed to make sure I could open and close the door again.
20211121_140754.jpg

Everything covered up. Paint job should come out great when it's all done.
20211121_140805.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread