Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Got back from Southern California yesterday. I had a great time.

However, you know I was itching to get back on the car lol.

I received a couple car parts in the mail while I was gone. One thing was a couple air filters I found that fit on my stacks. I only bought 2 just to test fit and see how they look.

What do you guys think? Get the rest of the air filters or stick with the socks? Remember this is just temporary until I can get the filter system from Kindig.
20211011_202247.jpg

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Hell yeah brother.
Very awesome. It's pretty awesome to put faces with the names. Car is coming along nicely.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Today I got my Schott Mach V Wheels mocked up. These are the cover lock version with a tri-bar knock off. These cover the lug nuts and look like the old 60's style Hilibrand knock offs used on the Shelby Cobra's.

I'm VERY happy with these wheels. The custom fit is great. I love the spinners and the deep dish on the rear. Always wanted a deep dish look on my 65.

Got the wheels unloaded and put in the garage last night.
20211011_214611.jpg

Front wheel set up:

Here is the front wheel put in place on the passenger side.
20211011_222723.jpg

I moved the wheel to the Driver's side as that's the side I mock up the fender on. I needed to see how the wheel fits with the fender on.
20211012_092019.jpg

Remember this is with the suspension hanging down. I compressed it and it looks very good even without the tire.
20211012_090803.jpg

20211012_090733.jpg

Looking down and you cannot see the wheel. This is good as it means my wheel and tire combination will not be past the fender lip like it did with my old set up.
20211012_090830.jpg

Yes, this is going to look great once I get the tires on.
20211012_090848.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Rear wheel set up:

I had to modify the rear a little. I purchased extended studs when I bought my rear-end. However, with the cover lock system I needed to cut the studs down so they will fit under the wheel covers.

Man, I love that lip! LOL.
20211012_103120.jpg

Sure is nice having a 9 inch wide rim under the rear of a 65. And it is "NOT" tubed :p. I had the rear-end shortened an inch on each side to get the extra room.
20211012_103254.jpg

This wheels sits flush with the QTR. Can't wait to get the tires on this thing.
20211012_103335.jpg

Again, love that lip/deep dish look. In this picture you can really see how the last body shop screwed up my side stripe. Damn it :mad: LOL.... Oh well, I'll get that fixed up.
20211012_103952.jpg

SWEET!
20211012_103941.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hell yeah brother.
Very awesome. It's pretty awesome to put faces with the names. Car is coming along nicely.

Hello Tones. Thank you brother. Yeah, I agree with you that it's cool to put faces to names. However, I'm very reluctant to post pictures of myself online. Don't want people thinking "He does great work, but he's a goofy looking sum bich!" ROFLMAO!!!! :ROFLMAO:

wheels look like they were worth the wait.

I dont think the individual filters make enough difference I'd spend money on them vs what you have when they won't be the final set up anyway

Hello DSG. Yes sir. I'm VERY happy with the wheels. Definitely worth the wait and drive to go get them in person.

I agree with you. I think the socks will work just as well and I actually like the look of the socks better than 8 individual mini filters too. Think I'll return the filters and just run the socks for now. Also, the socks fit tighter/better to boot.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Good to see you back at it. Rims look great. Sorry not feeling the air filter things, looks like something you picked up from the ricer section at Pep Boys. LOL.
309aa5df5db1bb3dc2281067e52cca82.gif

LMAO!!! Very good analogy there Grabber!

I have shopped at Pep Boys before. I call them "The fuzzy dice shop" because that's where you go to buy "stuff" like that LOL (i.e. license plate frames, rearview mirror ornaments, valve stem covers, seat covers, shifter knobs, floor mats and so on).

So, you're right about the air filters. They do look like they came off the shelf at Pep Boys LMAO. Oh well, I tried something and it didn't work. Can't hit a homerun every time LOL.

Last edited:

Daywalker

Established Member
Hello Chris! Thank you for the great review of my build thread. Thank you for spending the time to go through it and provide some feedback. I always enjoy hearing what people think of my build.

Yes, it was also great meeting you and hanging out at the MBTB car show and grabbing some lunch. I believe I have another friend for life in Southern California now (y).

Hopefully everything goes well next year and I'll be able to take my 65 out there and you can see it in person.
Oh, I'm seeing this car one way or another, even if it means a Texas road trip lol

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm very reluctant to post pictures of myself online. Don't want people thinking "He does great work, but he's a goofy looking sum bich!" ROFLMAO!!!! :ROFLMAO:
Aren’t we all goofy looking sum bitches? I bet there isn’t many that like seeing pictures of themselves or hearing their own voices
Wheels look great! Better than I thought they would. And yes that rear lip just works!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Wheels look great! Better than I thought they would. And yes that rear lip just works!

Hello geoffmt. Thank you for your feedback on the wheels. I was worried the front wheels wouldn't look right since the dish is so shallow. However, I think it works.

I also think that sticking with something that mimicked what I originally had on there (5 spoke) also helped because the overall look/style wasn't drastically changed. I just upgraded with the spinner, lug nut cover and lip on the rear.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well,

I sent an email to my Kindig rep today.

Here is what I sent:

Hello,

Well, it’s almost been 2 months since we last communicated. I was wondering if you are ready to start going on this request of mine again? I know you said you were dealing with SEMA, but I’m not sure if you are done with that. The problem with Kindig is once SEMA is done something else will come up. Your shop is always busy.

So, I’m just wondering when we can begin this project sir? Thank you for your time.

Got a reply back today as well:

Actually SEMA is the first week of November please send me a reminder the second week of November as a reminder and I will be able to get some answers for you.

Sorry for the delay it's just super hectic right now.

So, I will send him a reminder after the SEMA show this year. I'm going to keep going on this until it's done or I receive a hard "no" for an answer LOL.

I'm pretty sure they will do it eventually since they have already built this once and they do not need to build something from scratch. Should be easy money for them LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay getting ready for the weekend. I cleaned out my garage to make room for painting. I had to reposition my car to make room at the rear of the car as I need to repaint the taillight panel.

I also received my horns, so I installed them.

Got the horns installed. They work great now.
20211015_091849.jpg

20211015_091856.jpg

I started to tape things up to get ready for painting and to keep dust out of certain areas because I will need to sand and do some minor body work.
20211015_134637.jpg

I made sure to tape it up so I could still open the door if I need to.
20211015_134655.jpg

20211015_134704.jpg

20211015_134720.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I put plastic over the car to also help keep the dust out of the interior and engine compartment.

I'll start sanding the side stripes off this weekend.
20211015_141943.jpg

20211015_141953.jpg

20211015_142034.jpg

20211015_142050.jpg

Not only is the stripe messed up on the QTR panel, but look at that side view on the door. I swear, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. I wonder if the painter was drunk when he did this LOL.
20211015_142006.jpg

20211015_145220.jpg

20211015_145328.jpg

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I bet only you would have caught that curve and only after looking back a few times(after correcting the front fenders) I am glad to see that you have the motivation and talent to fix that can of worms. When you are done it will be at that level of quality that you hoped for. Many people will ask who built that for you and drop the big names. I am loving this build more every update! I have something to chase down on air cleaners that my buddy has on his 67 coupe on a Webber setup, it’s 4 small filters but just chrome smooth tops he bought several years ago in Vancouver (Snow Mexico) will find out if still available and if they fit the borla

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread