Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks great! Breathers are awesome! Serpentine belt system should treat you very well! A lot of us run 170 to 180° in our cobras, this is not an emissions compliant car so 195 to 205 is not necessary. Interior is beautiful by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Looks great! Breathers are awesome! Serpentine belt system should treat you very well! A lot of us run 170 to 180° in our cobras, this is not an emissions compliant car so 195 to 205 is not necessary. Interior is beautiful by the way!

Also we can adjust what the ECU considers "warmed up". Mine comes out of warm up at 160.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

Thank you geoffmt! At first I wanted all the fins powder coated black. But there was some miscommunication between me and the powder coater and he only did the centers. Turned out to be a happy accident lol.

I had the serpentine system on my last set up. I liked it a lot. The only issue I had was I couldn't get my PS belt tight enough. So, it would squeal occasionally.

Thank you on the interior comment. I'm really happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Also we can adjust what the ECU considers "warmed up". Mine comes out of warm up at 160.
I might have to go that route Bob. The computer is self learning, but it's running so rich that I'm afraid the plugs will get fouled before the computer makes the necessary changes. Also, I need to make sure my injectors are set up properly in the ECU.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I might have to go that route Bob. The computer is self learning, but it's running so rich that I'm afraid the plugs will get fouled before the computer makes the necessary changes. Also, I need to make sure my injectors are set up properly in the ECU.

Definitely make sure the injector information is correct. Beyond that I wouldn't start worrying about anything until after you can drive it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have read numerous issues with them sending the wrong harness, having ground on the wrong side of the coil etc..

sounds like you've got it figured out though, good truck with the water bottle. I've only ever used one to figure out if it's a belt or pulley making noise

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have read numerous issues with them sending the wrong harness, having ground on the wrong side of the coil etc..

sounds like you've got it figured out though, good truck with the water bottle. I've only ever used one to figure out if it's a belt or pulley making noise
Thank you for the information on the wrong harness DSG.

Yeah, my brother has passed on some good knowledge over the years LOL.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Got my brakes done today. Bench bled the MC on the firewall. Used my brake vacuum to pull the fluid through the lines.

I had one issue. The brake line on the passenger side wouldn't seal. I had to remove the line and redo the flare. Then it sealed. Out of all the lines it was the one running under the engine. Damn it! I got lucky with the fuel, but not the brakes LOL.

Once the fluid was in the line then I used the traditional method to bleed the brakes utilizing the pedal method. Those brakes work GREAT and the pedal feel of the manual breaks is great. My last manual set up I had to practically push the pedal through the floor to stop LOL. This Wilwood set up feels great and VERY easy to engage full brake lock.

I tested my line lock and it works great too :D.

20210925_095116.jpg

20210925_101720.jpg

20210925_101729.jpg

20210925_103406.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Great progress!
Getting closer every time I stop in to check!
-J

Thank you J! Yeah, I was thinking about it last night. Once I install the cooling system and bleed the clutch line I could technically move this thing under its own power. Oh and install the PS lines.

Then I could take it for its first drive around the neighborhood. SWEET!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yessir, that maiden voyage is always a big deal and hopefully very satisfying after the initial nerves.
I just installed the fresh DRs and fixed the cutouts to have stock mufflers again, and even this mornings drive was a great feeling.
Funny actually that I was followed by a cop for a few miles. Especially as I was actually doing just a chill Sunday morning drive. He turned into the same gas station just to say nice Shelby, but I was very happy to have the cutouts fixed :)
Get that drive on video!
-J

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yessir, that maiden voyage is always a big deal and hopefully very satisfying after the initial nerves.
I just installed the fresh DRs and fixed the cutouts to have stock mufflers again, and even this mornings drive was a great feeling.
Funny actually that I was followed by a cop for a few miles. Especially as I was actually doing just a chill Sunday morning drive. He turned into the same gas station just to say nice Shelby, but I was very happy to have the cutouts fixed :)
Get that drive on video!
-J

It's funny you mention nerves on the initial drive. I was nervous as hell before I turned the key for the first time LMAO. Then nothing happened the first time I turned the key LOL. I mean it did turn over, but no fire.

So, after I fixed my ignition box wiring I was nervous again turning the key the second time. However, once that bad boy fired up all the nerves went away and elation over took me LOL. Pretty cool when you build something and it works :D .

So, I can only imagine how I will feel when it accelerates, stops, turns, goes into gear AND roasts the tires......
ford car GIF

Yeah, some cops are like that. I was driving to my parents house one Sunday and I was in my 03 Cobra. Cop pulled me over for no front plate. After he ran my info and seen I had no wants or warrants he started to ask me about my car. He was looking at the engine and all that on the side of the road LOL. After everything was said and done he let me go with no warning or anything. Figured he was bored on a Sunday and just wanted to check the car out LOL.

Yes sir, I will definitely get the drive on video. I actually bought a bigger SD card for my phone so I would have more storage space specifically so I could take longer videos of this car doing things for the first time.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay,

Got my fuel tank bolted in today and got my sway bar installed. I'm probably going to start doing bigger projects on Saturday and smaller projects on Sunday so I can watch football LOL.

Here you can see the sway bar pushed up due to the front suspension hanging down.
20210926_120644.jpg

The bar is close, but clears. Also, once the suspension compresses this bar will go down and create more space.
20210926_120701.jpg

Getting the bar lined up (NOTE: for those of you with a sharp eye I intentionally left the cotter pins out of my tie-rod ends. I'll lock them down once the alignment is completed).
20210926_114927.jpg

20210926_120726.jpg

20210926_120733.jpg

Here you can see I got my sway bar hardware powder coated in the hammer tone to match my upper and lower control arms.
20210926_114911.jpg

20210926_114905.jpg

I know it's under the car and really won't be seen, but I sure do like that matching powder coating.
20210926_122248.jpg

20210926_122300.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Like that grease-able sway bar bushing. Can’t remember ever seeing one like that.

If you gave me a choice of working on a card or watching football, I’d pick working on cars every time.

LOL, I hear you brother.

My brother always told me that as long as you are working on your car progress is being made. And all progress is good progress. So, I was able to get some work done before game time. So, I was able to do both today :D.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well I've got all caught up now and found everything to still be progressing with great results. Really think the breathers came out for the best, they look the part that way.

Thank you Grabber! I was wondering where you were at. You're normally one of the first to comment after I post up. Glad you are all caught up brother.

Thank you for commenting on the breathers. I was wondering if they would work with only the centers black, but they do LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread