Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Hoping the air cleaner deal comes through with Kindigit for you. Agree that the radiator cover while polished would look neat I feel painting it the same as your aprons will make it look more cohesive and not like an afterthought. The work on the exhaust and your work on the bumper is looking top notch.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hoping the air cleaner deal comes through with Kindigit for you. Agree that the radiator cover while polished would look neat I feel painting it the same as your aprons will make it look more cohesive and not like an afterthought. The work on the exhaust and your work on the bumper is looking top notch.

Thank you Grabber! Yes sir, your point on the radiator cover are my sentiments exactly. It looks cool in silver, but it doesn't flow for me. I think it needs to be red with that clear coat polished.

I'm loving this exhaust. On the classic site a guy said he was confused and asked me if it was rear or side exit LMAO. I had to explain it was both LOL.

I don't know what's going on with Kindig. The first day I talked to a rep and he asked for pictures and said he would look into it. 2 weeks later I ask for an update and he said he had not heard anything. Another 2 weeks go by and I email him yesterday and no response yesterday nor today. I'm only dealing with one person so he could be out sick, on vacation, out of the office on business or blowing me off LMAO! So, I don't know. What I do know is it should not take 4 weeks to tell me if they can do it, how much it will cost and how long it will take them to do it. I know I'm a low priority for them, but business is business LOL.

I'll keep pushing the issue and if I don't get a response I'll start including others on my email chain, like Kevin and maybe Dave himself and see how that goes. Like I say the squeaky wheels gets the grease or just plain cut off LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

This has nothing to do with my build, but I went to my fabricators shop today to drop off some hardware for the radiator cover and my fabricator was messing with his Sprint car. Said he was going to take it to the track tonight to run some hot laps. So, I decided to stick around and help him push the car into position so it could be push started.

It was pretty cool. I've been to races before, but have never really been that close to a Sprint car. Interesting to see how they are built and how they work. This thing has a 305 CI in it and the cam has a 106 lobe separation. It sounds mean as hell. I love it.

I asked my fabricator if he thinks my car will sound like his race car and he said it should sound better. He says he has a tiny motor compared to what's in my car LOL. So, he got me all pumped up on how my car will sound LOL. If it sounds as mean as this I'll be one happy camper.

He said he runs 56 because that was his dad's race car number.
20210811_155731_resized.jpg

I also took a couple quick videos. Man, it sounds so much better in person than on my crappy cell phone videos LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I love it! Your attention to detail is off the charts. That’s why I mentioned opening a can of worms earlier. But we’ll worth opening it! One day I would love to see this in person. I am still looking forward to seeing a video of this running, hopefully even a dyno run.

Hello geoffmt,

I'm not sure if I'll ever get my car on a dyno this time around, but here are a couple old videos of the car with the 347 on the dyno to tide you over. It was a pretty fun day all those years ago. Hoping my car sounds this mean if not meaner this time around.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Got my bumper finished up this weekend. Got it in base coat and clear coat. Now I just need it to dry a few days and then I can cut and buff it.

Here it is in base coat.
20210814_130616_resized.jpg

20210814_130622_resized.jpg

20210814_130657_resized.jpg

20210814_130711_resized.jpg

I even got the inside portion painted.
20210814_130648_resized.jpg

Repainted some mounting brackets as well.
20210814_130731_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
And here it is in clear coat. Overall it came out great. There were a couple small issues, but they can be fixed during cutting and buffing.

I'm still learning how to spray clear coat on bigger items. When I see orange peel I think the part needs more clear, but it actually has good coverage. So, I need to back off on the clear a little bit. It's all in the learning process LOL.

20210814_154704_resized.jpg

20210814_154714_resized.jpg

20210814_154727_resized.jpg

20210814_154833_resized.jpg

20210814_154942_resized.jpg

This was the area that had that rash looking thing. Looks great now!
20210814_154950_resized.jpg

Here is one area with an issues. It's a little hard to see, but it's a wave run near the edge.
20210814_154757_resized.jpg

This is the other area with an issue. It's a drip run. Again these areas can be fixed with some wet sanding with 1000 grit during the cutting process. No big deal.
20210814_154809_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Well, I received a response back from the Kindig rep. I sent him an email last week and did not receive a response. So, I sent him an email this week and included Kevin on this email as I did not know if the rep was out sick or on vacation or out of the office on business.

Well, yesterday afternoon he responded. This was his response:

Sorry for the late reply but I'm still trying to get answers myself. I was moved to the assembly side to be the manager there on top of my other duties.

I honestly spaced it but I have asked our guy numerous times (who is also overworked with a ton of stuff we are trying to get done for SEMA) I will get with Kevin but it is going to take a minute we are in the process of trying to get 4 vehicles done for SEMA.

Please be patient. I warned you in the beginning it would take some time.

Now don't get me wrong, I get it. However, by his own admission, he "spaced it." I understand his situation. If I were him I would forget about my request as well. This is why I say the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It is up to me to remind them and keep reminding them until I get an official commitment or rejection.

SEMA is a huge time for those in the automotive industry. However, I really want/need this part. So, I will be patient and see if I can eventually get this project going with Kindig once they get finished with SEMA.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
At least the air filter isn't a must have in order to finish the car. You can always come back to it later if needed.

I agree with you Bob. I have screens for the stacks, but those will not keep out sand or dust. So, I can start the car and get it running without the air filter. Also, my new wheels are going to take 12 weeks to get. So, there are items that will push me beyond my self imposed deadline of September, but they will not stop the car from being completed, as you mentioned.

Then once those parts arrive I can just bolt them on. Which is why I'm willing to be patient with Kindig and the wheel company. Like I have a choice LMAO :D!!!

Last edited:

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Look into Ram air filters in the meantime. I run them on the stacks on my ZRX constantly. They can be pulled off for show rather easily and they filter well.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Look into Ram air filters in the meantime. I run them on the stacks on my ZRX constantly. They can be pulled off for show rather easily and they filter well.

Thank you kazman. Borla does make filters for this stack injection system. So, I can get them. I just don't like the way they look, which is why I'm trying to see if Kindig can create one for me. So, I can get filters if I need to in order to drive the car until Kindig can let me know when they can build one for me. Appreciate the heads up though. Those filters you mention may be cheaper than the ones offered by Borla.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Looks good, I need some of whatever you got to keep up the steady progress and drive that you have.

Thank you as always Grabber! I don't know what it is either. I think having the car sit for 5 years and wanting to see it completed is what compels me to keep going. I think with a lot of projects people lose interest because they can't see the light at the end of the tunnel or they run out of funds or life itself gets in the way.

I'm lucky as those are not issues for me. Remember, I don't push myself hard and I don't burn the midnight oil. I work for a few hours or until I get tired and then I'm done for the day. I think that's what allows me to keep a steady pace going.

Also, seeing what my fabricator has done has renewed my desire to finish the car even more. It's really nice to see the completion of custom work. Lastly, believe it or not, posting pictures here and reading peoples comments/reactions is enjoyable and motivates me as well.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello everyone,

Well, my fabricator called me and told me he got my car finished with everything I asked him to do.

Here is the list of what he did for me:
  1. Complete custom exhaust from headers back with exhaust cutouts and it has side and rear exits. It is 3 inch with an H pipe and has V band clamps welded throughout.
  2. Custom upper and lower radiator tubes, which he modified my radiator to clean up the routing and give it a cleaner look.
  3. Custom radiator cover that is dimple died and has a notch for my radiator tube to pass through.
  4. Created a custom mounting location for my Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor. Since this car has a stack injection, there was no place for my IAT. It normally goes in your air intake tube after your air filter.
  5. Assembled my fuel lines to go from my hard lines to my intake/fuel rails.
  6. Fixed my front passenger spindle. It came from the factory distorted and would mount my caliper crooked (this was a defect and could not be corrected with shims). This caused my rotor to rub on my brake pad instead of being centered. So, he got it straight and now my passenger wheel spins freely.
Anyone care to guess how much all that labor cost me? No, don't LOL.......

I will be picking up the car tomorrow afternoon. So, on Monday I'll post pictures of me picking the car up and showing some things he did that I have not posted yet.

Next I will be finishing the wiring, installing the distributor, filling all the liquids and then attempting to fire her up!!!!

SWEET!!!!!

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome! Sounds like a $3k bill, hopefully less. Thinks are moving quickly! I liked the 347dyno video, excited to hear the 427 through the mufflers and the cutouts! And maybe a burnout video to send off the old tires?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Awesome! Sounds like a $3k bill, hopefully less. Thinks are moving quickly! I liked the 347dyno video, excited to hear the 427 through the mufflers and the cutouts! And maybe a burnout video to send off the old tires?

Hello geoffmt! Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner LOL. Yep it was $3K for the labor alone. However, I have to say it was more then worth it. I have ZERO complaints and I'm way more than happy with the results. Thank you for the positive feedback on the dyno run. I'm with you on wanting to hear this thing. Even my fabricator was saying he can't wait to hear it. Everyone who has seen this car has said they think it is going to sound wicked LOL. I hope so!

Yes sir. I have installed a line lock. So, you know it will be put to the test. However, I will take it easy on it's maiden voyage to make sure everything is broken in and working properly. But it's going to be fun as hell to light up those tires LOL.

Side and rear exit exhaust? Does the side have the cutouts?

Hello 98 svt. Yes sir, the side exit is the outlet for my cutouts. So, when the button is pressed and the side exhaust is engaged it will basically be uncapped. Hell yeah! LMAO!!!

I actually got the idea from Stacey David when he built project Copperhead.

Start the video at the 7:15 mark. He builds a system that is very similar to what I did on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread