Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello All,

As some of you know I have a 65 Mustang that I started to build back in 2010. I got it finished in 2012, but it 2015 I blew the motor and ended up selling the entire drive train.

I wanted to rebuild the car, but the plan back then was pretty lofty. I wanted to build a serious resto mod and install the powertrain of a 2003 Cobra.

I even went as far as purchasing a 2003 Cobra convertible in 2016. Well, I realized I bit off more than I could chew as I did not have the tools or money to pull such a build off. So, the 2003 Cobra convertible was added to my stable.

So, I decided that I will put 65 Mustang project into a more manageable category. My finances are in a better place and I am able to still do some pretty cool things with the tools my brother and I have between us.

The new plan:
  • 347 stroker motor (like the one I blew) or possibly step up to a 351W stroked to a 427 :D…..
  • Convert to Holley EFI (Terminator system)
  • Switch from C4 to TKO 600 5 speed from Modern Driveline
    • All supporting mods to include:
      • Mc Leod dual disc clutch
      • Hydraulic clutch system
      • aluminum driveshaft
  • Ford 9 inch rear end with 3:73 gears
  • Hedits G-Force front end
  • Wilwodod disc brakes all around

This build will start the SUMMER OF 2020...……

I will post pictures of my progress once the official build process starts.

However, to make a historical reference of the complete build I am posting pictures of the original process.

HERE IS MY BUILD AS IT WAS FROM 2010 THRU 2015...…...

This is what I started with in 2010...…
080808_1651[01].jpg

080808_1652[00].jpg

080808_1705[00].jpg

080808_1705[01].jpg

rebuild.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After the body shop stripped the car they said they felt the body was too far gone and suggested I start with a better body. At that time I gave the car to my brother as he wanted to do the metal work himself and see what he could do. And since I didn't want to get rid of that body, I basically turned the project over to him and said build it to his vision.

This is what he did.
mustang510008.jpg

mustang510005.jpg

mustang510003.jpg

mustang510006.jpg

mustang510007.jpg

mustang510004.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Once I seen what my brother accomplished with the body work I asked him if I could take the project back over and asked him if he would assist me in finishing the project. He said no problem. He's a Chevy guy anyway and just wanted something to work on at the time.

So, I had my 289 block converted to a 347 and had my C4 rebuilt. I did all the paint and assembly of the motor. My brother helped me install it. Once the motor was installed we noticed the Shelby style hood would not fit, so we installed the cowl hood. Those of you with a sharp eye noticed the hood switch in the photos above.

motor 1.jpg

motor.jpg

Engine Install.jpg

Engine 01.jpg

Engine.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After we got the motor installed I tried to wash the car. The flat black had a rough feel to it and when I tried to dry the car the paint pulled at the towel and left all kinds of lint on the car. I was not happy about that at all.

I told my brother I wasn't happy with the flat black as I like cars to pop and shine. So, I took the car to another body shop (not the guys who told me to get another body) and told them I wanted the body to be painted Ford Laser Red. Then I wanted a gloss black hood and taillight panel with a Shelby side stripe that said GT347.

This is what I got...………

160.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

168.jpg

171.jpg

166.jpg

164.jpg

161.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Here are some videos of her in action:

First fire up:

Dyno run:

Fire up in the driveway:

Drive by:

Going down the track:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
And then all the fun came crashing down when I blew the motor.

However, in the summer of 2020 she will be resurrected.

Stay tuned...……………….

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
If you are doing the Holley system I strongly suggest you invest in the fuel pressure sensor and monitor your fp. I am glad I did.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice build.. I vote Coyote swap this time around ! ;)
Hello Stray,

I thought about that for a split second. However, I don't like how they sound. My car has to sound like a 60's muscle car.

When the car was running I didn't even need to drive it. All I had to do was go in the garage, fire it up and then go back inside the house with a huge smile on my face......

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I love the laser red! Beautiful car brought back from the dead. I would love a coyote 5.2xs crate with the tko (or magnum) and an H pipe exhaust ( more of an old school sound) but a 347 isn’t anything to sneeze at with the right heads and cam. Good luck with the drivetrain rebuilding, beautiful car!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thank you geoffmt!

I'm running AFR185 heads and a Comp cam with 110 lobe separation with .555 intake and .575 exhaust

It's a pretty stout little motor and was fun at the track even though I had to foot brake it and come out of the hole just above idle lol.

I'm not much of a track guy anymore. I'm looking more for some spirited street driving.

My real desire is to go on a hot rod power tour one day.....

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you geoffmt!

I'm running AFR185 heads and a Crane cam with 110 lobe separation with .555 intake and .575 exhaust

It's a pretty stout little motor and was fun at the track even though I had to foot brake it and come out of the hole just above idle lol.

I'm not much of a track guy anymore. I'm looking more for some spirited street driving.

My real desire is to go on a hot rod power tour one day.....

Plan for rain on power tour(good working wipers and window treatment like aquapel or rain-x), and A/C. I have always wanted to do that with my dad

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Plan for rain on power tour(good working wipers and window treatment like aquapel or rain-x), and A/C. I have always wanted to do that with my dad

The rain I have covered. My car already has a dual speed wiper system installed. A/C is where I'm lacking. After it's all said and done I may have an A/C system added later. But the car has zero heat/A/C LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread