Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
And here is the AFTER. What a difference polishing and painting makes...
20220517_105535.jpg

20220517_105527.jpg

20220517_105606.jpg

20220517_105556.jpg

20220517_105548.jpg

20220517_105614.jpg

ToddW702

Established Member
Looks really good. What a great experience you had. The car is a beast.

I was going to mention the company modern driveline to you for your heavy clutch issue. They have a bracket that mounts on the firewall and it creates some leverage for the clutch pedal making it easier to push in the clutch. I have it on my car with a willwood master and it works really good. Not sure if it will work with your whole set up but the people I talked to there have done several mustangs and are very knowledgeable. They are in Idaho, I think it would be worth it to call them and see if they have something to make it more enjoyable to have a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Looks really good. What a great experience you had. The car is a beast.

I was going to mention the company modern driveline to you for your heavy clutch issue. They have a bracket that mounts on the firewall and it creates some leverage for the clutch pedal making it easier to push in the clutch. I have it on my car with a willwood master and it works really good. Not sure if it will work with your whole set up but the people I talked to there have done several mustangs and are very knowledgeable. They are in Idaho, I think it would be worth it to call them and see if they have something to make it more enjoyable to have a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Hello Todd. Thank you brother!

I hear you on the MDL piece. I paid good money to American Powertrain for their set up that was specifically made for the classic Mustang. So, for now I'm going to stick with the AP set up. If I get to a point where I want to mess with it I'll call AP and see what they can do to help me without paying more money LOL.

However, if all else fails I'll call MDL and see about converting my pedal set up to their design.

ToddW702

Established Member
IMG_0625.JPG

This is the piece I’m talking about. It may work with your current set up. It uses the stock clutch pedal. But I’m not sure exactly what you have down there.

Engine bay looks stunning brother. It’s not often you see a classic mustang look that bad ass under the hood. Good day sir.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
View attachment 1748988

This is the piece I’m talking about. It may work with your current set up. It uses the stock clutch pedal. But I’m not sure exactly what you have down there.

Engine bay looks stunning brother. It’s not often you see a classic mustang look that bad ass under the hood. Good day sir.

Thank you Todd! Appreciate your comment on the engine bay my friend! I agree with you. The classic Mustang engine bays I have seen are either stock, but really clean (i.e. new looking) or they are modified, but look like they are driven (i.e. not necessarily dirty, but worn). I've seen a couple Coyote swaps. They are cool, but it still looks busy to me.

I sent Dave Kindig pictures of my engine bay yesterday. He responded and said it looks badass and he thanked me for letting Kindig it Design be a part of my bitchin ride. I thought that was cool.

I was actually looking at that piece before I went with American Powertrain. Mine is close to that. I'm using the stock pedal and mounting location. The difference between mine and that one is mine doesn't have that silver angled bar piece. Mine goes from the clutch pedal straight to the hydraulic cylinder.

Thanks again brother! Always appreciate you commenting.....(y)

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Looks good Glenn. I look forward to seeing it in my garage in October.

Thank you Bob! I'm looking forward to it too. However, I'm nervous about the trip out to San Diego and then driving from your house to the show LOL. I'm sure everything will be fine. People take their hot rods across country and to shows all the time. I just have to be careful and take my time.

BTW; I received my registration letter and rearview mirror placard from the Mustang Club of San Diego. My registration number is 1M04. Meaning first generation Mustang, Modified group and entry number 4. SWEET! Looks like I was one of the first to register LOL.

I'm really looking forward to peoples reaction to my car..... I know there will be some bad/dumb comments, but I'm hoping it will be well received overall.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen a couple Coyote swaps. They are cool, but it still looks busy to me.

even when they wire tuck and get rid of all the extra crap this is still true, I think it's partly because of all the plastic crap. Ditch the engine cover, billet valve covers etc... and I think it would help with that.

ToddW702

Established Member
Thank you Todd! Appreciate your comment on the engine bay my friend! I agree with you. The classic Mustang engine bays I have seen are either stock, but really clean (i.e. new looking) or they are modified, but look like they are driven (i.e. not necessarily dirty, but worn). I've seen a couple Coyote swaps. They are cool, but it still looks busy to me.

I sent Dave Kindig pictures of my engine bay yesterday. He responded and said it looks badass and he thanked me for letting Kindig it Design be a part of my bitchin ride. I thought that was cool.

I was actually looking at that piece before I went with American Powertrain. Mine is close to that. I'm using the stock pedal and mounting location. The difference between mine and that one is mine doesn't have that silver angled bar piece. Mine goes from the clutch pedal straight to the hydraulic cylinder.

Thanks again brother! Always appreciate you commenting.....(y)

The silver angled piece is what gives the extra leverage to make pushing in the clutch much easier. I wonder if just that piece would work for you.

That whole Kindig experience is just super cool.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thank you Bob! I'm looking forward to it too. However, I'm nervous about the trip out to San Diego and then driving from your house to the show LOL. I'm sure everything will be fine. People take their hot rods across country and to shows all the time. I just have to be careful and take my time.

BTW; I received my registration letter and rearview mirror placard from the Mustang Club of San Diego. My registration number is 1M04. Meaning first generation Mustang, Modified group and entry number 4. SWEET! Looks like I was one of the first to register LOL.

I'm really looking forward to peoples reaction to my car..... I know there will be some bad/dumb comments, but I'm hoping it will be well received overall.
I got around to registering last night. Lol, I don't live that far from the show. It might acttbe easier to get there from my new place.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The silver angled piece is what gives the extra leverage to make pushing in the clutch much easier. I wonder if just that piece would work for you.

That whole Kindig experience is just super cool.

Thank you Todd. I don't think it would as I could not incorporate it into my system due to the lower mounting point on the silver angled piece. My system has no provision for it. I would have to replace the whole system I believe.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I got around to registering last night. Lol, I don't live that far from the show. It might actually be easier to get there from my new place.
LOL, well at least you got around to it. Do you know if Chris registered? I don't ever remember seeing him at the ones I attended in the past.

That's cool, but I'm more worried about the time you leave LOL. I don't think your neighbors will appreciate me firing that bad boy up at the wee hours of Sunday morning LMAO!!!!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
LOL, well at least you got around to it. Do you know if Chris registered? I don't ever remember seeing him at the ones I attended in the past.

That's cool, but I'm more worried about the time you leave LOL. I don't think your neighbors will appreciate me firing that bad boy up at the wee hours of Sunday morning LMAO!!!!
Just keep the cut outs closed and you'll be fine. Between my car and my buddies hellcat we've broken them in pretty well.

I don't think he has. He was boycotting the show because of one time I lost with my old Cobra. I lost to an SN95 that had a rubber snake on the center console and it bothers him and Tracy to this day.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Just keep the cut outs closed and you'll be fine. Between my car and my buddies hellcat we've broken them in pretty well.

I don't think he has. He was boycotting the show because of one time I lost with my old Cobra. I lost to an SN95 that had a rubber snake on the center console and it bothers him and Tracy to this day.
That's no problem. The cutouts will normally stay closed unless I'm rolling into a car show or someone wants to play at the light LMAO!!!

Man, can I relate to that scenario. I remember when I took my checkered 03 Cobra and that dude with the convertible 99 or 01 GT with the side pipes, like the old school Shelby Cobras, won something and I didn't win S#!T. Man, was I pissed LOL.

But, I'm not worried this time. I should win "something" this go round with my 65. If I don't then I'll think about joining Chris's boycott of Mustangs by the Bay LOL.

ToddW702

Established Member
Thank you Todd. I don't think it would as I could not incorporate it into my system due to the lower mounting point on the silver angled piece. My system has no provision for it. I would have to replace the whole system I believe.

Well shoot. Hopefully it gets “broken in” and feels better/easier.

Users who are viewing this thread