Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Then I decided to make one more patch panel before I called it a day.

The two circles with the rectangle underneath are where my engine harness goes through the firewall. I'm going to reroute those wire in order to give my firewall a cleaner look. So, out with the cutting wheel...….
20200712_141032_resized.jpg

20200712_152725_resized.jpg

Patch panel made. I'm really happy with how my ability to make these patches to line up great is getting. Makes welding so much easier...….
20200712_152959_resized.jpg

20200712_154436_resized.jpg

And this is where I ended. Didn't get a chance to get all my welds grinded smooth. It was just too damn hot LOL. As you can see I didn't even get a chance to get those two patches for the lower part of the passenger side firewall completed either...……
20200712_154448_resized.jpg

20200712_154457_resized.jpg

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Then I decided to make one more patch panels before I called it a day.

The two circles with the rectangle underneath are where my engine harness goes through the firewall. I'm going to reroute those wire in order to give my firewall a cleaner look. So, out with the cutting wheel...….
View attachment 1651843

View attachment 1651844

Patch panel made. I'm really happy with how my ability to make these patches to line up great is getting. Makes welding so much easier...….View attachment 1651845

Patches look pretty good, what are you using to cut them?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Patches look pretty good, what are you using to cut them?

I'm mainly using my grinder with a cutting wheel since I'm making straight cuts for the shapes. However, for my plugs I use my plasma cutter as it's easier to cut round shapes that way.

I also have an air powered cutting wheel that I also use to get in to tighter spots since it is smaller than my grinder.

I'm learning as I go. I've had to redo a couple things as I either cut the patch wrong or I used too thin of a metal and the weld warped the crap out of it LOL.

Cool thing is I can just show the end results here. Feel like I'm editing like they do on TV. Because you know even the pros screw up every now and then lmao......

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice work! WAY past my skill level. I am loving the updates. 106-108 is too warm for me I will melt

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Might be late to the party, but what about using the outside blade of a hole saw to make round patches? I imagine getting it started might be a pain, but I would think it's a little easier than the plasma.

But I could be way off base and there's a reason I don't do sheet metal work.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice work! WAY past my skill level. I am loving the updates. 106-108 is too warm for me I will melt

Thank you sir! It's a lot of work, but I'm having fun while doing it. Yes, 106-108 is dreadful. My wife is always coming in the garage and telling me to go inside LOL. I tell her as soon as I feel it you can bet I'm going inside to cool off...……..

Might be late to the party, but what about using the outside blade of a hole saw to make round patches? I imagine getting it started might be a pain, but I would think it's a little easier than the plasma.

But I could be way off base and there's a reason I don't do sheet metal work.

That is a good idea Bob and one I have thought about. The issue is right now I'm plugging small holes and my hole saw blades are too big. However, once I have to plug a hole that is larger I will try to use the hole saw. It's much cleaner and smoother with a hole saw, but the Plasma is easier to make small dime and nickel size plugs.

RunninHorse

Established Member
I hear you about this brutal Texas heat. My metal garage is not air conditioned or insulated yet. It's an oven. I keep a couple wet bandannas around my neck, and stick my head under the faucet regularly. If I do that and chug water it's manageable. Keep in mind that a fan blowing on you helps, but can mess with the gas shield when welding.

Are you using pure Argon gas or a mix?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I hear you about this brutal Texas heat. My metal garage is not air conditioned or insulated yet. It's an oven. I keep a couple wet bandannas around my neck, and stick my head under the faucet regularly. If I do that and chug water it's manageable. Keep in mind that a fan blowing on you helps, but can mess with the gas shield when welding.

Are you using pure Argon gas or a mix?
I do have a fan circulating air. I think it does help. I also walk inside, open the fridge and chug some cold water too. It's been working so far.

I was curious about that after I got the bottle. Says 75% Argon and 25% carbon dioxide.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It's been a while since I had my bottle filled. I believe I'm using the same ratio.

I'm new to this. I walked in the welding shop, told the guy what I was wanting to do and that is the type of gas he gave me. Not sure if pure Argon is any better.

I do know when I was hooking up the gas my welding machine did display a setting asking what type of gas I was using. So, I know my welder is set up properly and the new welds have been great. Welding with gas is awesome :D…..LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, this weekend was a birthday weekend in my family. So, I only had one day to work on the car. Not much done, but progress was made :D…..

This is under the dash. The black is the back of the firewall and the brown is under the cowl. I'm not running A/C or a heater. So, I'm using this area to mount my electronics. My MSD Box, Starter solenoid, Relays and other electrical items will go here. So, I'm welding some square tube in order to mount a plate so I can screw my items to the plate and not put a bunch of holes in my original sheet metal.

20200717_130705_resized.jpg

cleaning up the metal to prepare for welding.
20200717_133056_resized.jpg

Got my square tubing welded in. I need to get the plate measured up. Then I can lay out my electronics and then screw them in place.
20200717_134807_resized.jpg

My buddy was able to make it over. He's a WAY better welder than I am. So, he came over, got my welder set up and went to town on the main items that my suspension will be mounted too. Man, his welds look sweet.....
20200718_143425_resized.jpg

20200718_143432_resized.jpg

20200718_143453_resized.jpg

Then i was able to clean up my spot welds on the firewall.
20200718_143503_resized.jpg

20200718_143507_resized.jpg

I was able to spot weld the plates in place on the bottom part of the passenger side firewall.
20200718_112621_resized.jpg

Lastly, I ordered my torque boxes and Mustangs to Fear frame stiffeners. So, I started to get the drivers side outer firewall area cleaned up and remove all the under coating. Damn, is it a pain in the _____......
20200718_143516_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That's a good idea about mounting everything under the dash. I'm surprised you have no A/C out there though.

Thank you Bob!

I hear you, but I don't plan on driving the car in 100 degree heat or in the winter or when it's raining (I do have working wipers in case it does rain on the way home from a car show). MBTB is in October and it's not that hot then. Mustang week is in September. American Muscle does have it's show in June, but it's up north in PA and it's not near as hot up there as it is in TX LMAO!!!! So, this is basically going to be a weekend toy and utilized in good weather.

I would love to go on the hot rod power tour one day, but it would depend on time of year and location. Not going to do it in July and driving through Arizona LMAO!!!

I do understand I'm limiting my options on when and how I can enjoy the car, but all my other cars have A/C, heat, power windows, etc. And believe me, in this town, people do not schedule car shows when it's hot as hell outside LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, I left off with trying to clean up the outer firewall area in order to prep it for my torque box installation. Well, that's what I got completed this weekend.

Some of you may be thinking that's all I got done in two days. LOL, well all I can say is I'm new to this and I take a methodical approach to the job. I need to make sure I cut the metal properly in order to make sure it fits snug and correct.

Remember I'm a rookie when it comes to metal work. So, I'm going slow and steady and will get there eventually LOL.

Torque boxes come welded together. I seen a guy on YouTube (Jo Daddy's garage) and he separated the boxes prior to install. After doing this I don't see how these can be installed without separating them.
20200724_154210_resized.jpg

20200724_173615_resized.jpg

Got the outer firewall area all cleaned up. Man, that undercoating is a B!T(# to get off LOL.
20200725_110453_resized.jpg

Got the area sprayed with weld thru primer to protect the metal.
20200725_130727_resized.jpg

Got the backing plate trimmed and mocked up.
20200725_131110_resized.jpg

Got the backing plate welded in place and covered with weld thru primer.
20200725_141419_resized.jpg

Got the outer box trimmed and mocked up.
20200725_142803_resized.jpg

Outer box welded into place.
20200726_150214_resized.jpg

It was the same process for the passenger side, so here is a picture of the final result.
20200726_150159_resized.jpg

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
That would have taken me way longer than 2 days. Good job! After this past weekend I decided any 4 wheeled toy I have that’s street driven WILL have A/C. Even up here in Montana

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That would have taken me way longer than 2 days. Good job! After this past weekend I decided any 4 wheeled toy I have that’s street driven WILL have A/C. Even up here in Montana

Thank you geoffmt! I hear you on the A/C. Does make driving your car much more enjoyable. I did have this car built in 2010 and it did not have A/C then and I don't remember driving it and thinking it was unbearable.

I know to be a true restomod it needs to have A/C and other comforts, but I'm just going for a really clean build. I do agree A/C would be nice though.

Thanks again for commenting in my thread. Really appreciate it!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay everyone,

Made some good progress this weekend. Got my firewall and rear fender aprons finished by smoothing out the remaining holes I wanted filled on Saturday.

Fender Apron holes.
20200801_163143_resized.jpg

20200801_100717_resized.jpg

20200801_100721_resized.jpg

Wire harness pass through on fire wall I'm moving.
20200801_121709_resized.jpg

20200801_121952_resized.jpg

I decided instead of trying to cut circles/plugs I would just cut out squares as they are easier for me to work with.
20200801_124638_resized.jpg

20200801_124648_resized.jpg

The patches are made, welded in and ground smooth.
20200801_154522_resized.jpg

20200801_154540_resized.jpg

20200801_154527_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Then on Sunday I decided to start mudding the firewall. Again, this is the first time I have attempted body work, so it will probably go slow and l'll probably have to do it a few times in order to get it straight LOL.

Based on my research this is what I'm doing:

I'm using a fiberglass filler to fill in areas I feel are a little deeper than I'm comfortable with. I feel the fiberglass filler will be less susceptible to cracking than regular body filler. Then I'm using body filler to smooth out the rest of the area. Then I'm using 40 grit to knock everything down. Then I'm using 80 grit to shape it. Then I'm using 180 to finalize the area and to prep it for a 2K primer.

This was my progress on Sunday.

(NOTE: I'm not plugging this product. I'm just showing what I'm using).
This is the fiberglass filler I'm using.
20200802_123104_resized.jpg

This is the body filler I'm using.
20200802_123138_resized.jpg

Here is the firewall after all the metal work. You will notice on the top portion of the firewall, where I had to weld, is not the smoothest. Those are the areas I feel I need to use fiberglass filler instead of body filler.
20200802_082646_resized.jpg

Here is my initial skim. The areas in green are fiberglass and the tan area is normal body filler.
20200802_093936_resized.jpg

My initial knock down with 40 grit. Although this process does go quick, when you have to sand and sand and sand it gets tiering LOL.
20200802_110134_resized.jpg

Another skim of body filler as low spots were showing.
20200802_111522_resized.jpg

I put a little more body filler on the passenger side of the firewall and worked it all the way through on the entire firewall (i.e. 40, 80 then 180 grit). This is where I stopped Sunday afternoon as I was tired from all the sanding. I still have way more body work to do, but it's a start :D.
20200802_144713_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread